Cari F. Silverman
Top rated Medical Malpractice attorney in Chicago, IllinoisLevin & Perconti
Attorney Cari F. Silverman is a partner with Levin & Perconti law firm in Chicago, Illinois. A top-rated trial attorney with more than ten years of legal experience, Ms. Silverman provides exceptional representation and support to clients throughout the greater Chicago metro area and across the state who have suffered injuries or loss as a result of someone else's negligence or wrongdoing.
Handling all types of personal injury and wrongful death claims, Ms. Silverman has achieved significant success advocating on behalf of the rights and entitlements of those she serves. Among her most notable successes, she helped secure a jury award of more than $12 million for a failure to diagnose lung cancer and a verdict of $7 million for a wrongful death case involving escape from an ambulance. She has also recovered many other multimillion-dollar settlements and verdicts for her plaintiff clients.
In recognition for her impeccable professionalism and outstanding service to her clients, Ms. Silverman has earned many top rankings and endorsements from her peers, including designation as an Emerging Lawyer from Leading Lawyers in 2015 and 2018 along with designation from the Chicago Law Bulletin Publishing Company as one of the 40 Attorneys Under Forty to Watch in Illinois.
A 2008 graduate of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Ms. Silverman obtained her Juris Doctor from the University of Illinois College of Law in 2011. While there, she served on the writing staff of the Illinois Business Law Journal as well as president of the Jewish Law Society and the College of Law's Ambassador.
Having established herself as a leader in her field, Ms. Silverman is a certified faculty member of the National Academy of Continuing Legal Education, and she has published articles and conduced lectures and seminars across her region on a variety of legal topics. She is also an active member of the American Association for Justice's Home Litigation Group, the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association and its Women's Association as well as The Chicago Bar Association and American Bar Association.
Practice areasPersonal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff, Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
Birth Injury, Brain Injury, Delayed or Incorrect Diagnosis, Medical Malpractice, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Sexual Abuse - Plaintiff, Wrongful Death
- 80% Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
- 20% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 2011, Illinois
Professional Webpage: https://www.levinperconti.com/cari-f-silverman.html
- Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2013-2020
- Emerging Leaders by Leading Lawyer 2015, 2016, 2017
- Top “40 Attorneys Under Forty to Watch" in Illinois by Chicago Law Bulletin Publishing Company, 2014
- AAJ Nursing Home Litigation Group, Member
- Illinois State Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Chicago Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Member, Women’s Association
- Jewish United Fund
- B.A., The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2008
- D.O. for C.O v. Northwestern Memorial Hospital $3.5 million birth injury settlement with the Chicago hospital on behalf of the parents and twin brother of a newborn who died after suffering multiple brain and spinal injuries during birth. The lawsuit alleged that the attending obstetrician failed to timely perform a c-section in the face of ongoing fetal distress and instead continued to deliver our client's son vaginally with the use of multiple vacuum extractions and forceps attempts., 2012
- Co-author, Proving Pain in Nursing Home Cases, Trial Magazine, AAJ, 2013
- Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education. "Common Plaintiff Theories," Chicago, IL. February 6, 2015.
- Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education. "New Decisions – Current State of the Law," Chicago, IL. February 6, 2015.
- Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education. "Deposition Strategies in Nursing Home and Medical Malpractice Cases," Chicago, IL. April 16, 2015.
- Enforcing Elder Rights through Private Civil Litigation: An Ethical Responsibility, 2013 Adult Protection and Advocacy Conference, Illinois Department On Aging, 2013
- Co-Author, Grief and Sorrow: A Powerful but Uncharted Element of Damages in Nursing Home Cases, Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, Leading Lawyers, 2014
- $20 million dollar jury verdict on behalf of a child who suffered preventable HIE and asphyxia injuries at birth, resulting in permanent cognitive and developmental impairments., 2022
- $12 million jury verdict for a failure to diagnose lung cancer case, 2018
- $12 million dollar jury verdict for failure to Diagnose lung cancer, 2018
- $6.5 million medical malpractice verdict, 2019
- $575,000 negligence settlement against an Evergreen Park, IL nursing home for the family of an 88-year-old woman who developed multiple bed sores at the defendant facility. The sores worsened and her condition deteriorated, causing her death five months after she was first admitted to the facility., 2013
- $6 million medical malpractice settlement on behalf of the family of a 58-year-old who presented to the Emergency Room at Rush University Medical Center with progressively worsening shortness of breath. A CT procedure with contrast dye was subsequently ordered and performed. Immediately following the procedure, while in the radiology suite, the decedent was allowed to go to the washroom unsupervised. While in the washroom, the decedent suffered an acute medical event requiring immediate medical care. However, because the Defendant’s staff allowed the decedent to be in a position where she was not monitored and the staff could not provide emergent medical care, the decedent suffered an irreversible brain damage due to oxygen deprivation caused by respiratory distress. The decedent lived four years before passing away as a result of her brain injury and resulting complications. , 2014
- $835,000 nursing home pressure sore settlement
- $3 million birth injury settlement
- $584,300 verdict against an Arlington Heights hospital for the family of an 88-year-old woman who died as a result of complications linked to a hospital fall. The victim fell off a table in the radiology department of the hospital and suffered a serious brain injury that led to a deterioration in her condition. (sat second chair), 2012
- $552,000.00 verdict against Community Physical Therapy & Associates, Ltd for the wife of a 67-year-old male with a neuromuscular disorder which causes progressive muscle weakness over time. The patient was attempting to ambulate in physical therapy took steps, fell and fractured his ankle., 2017
- $3.5 million birth injury settlement
- $3.5 million birth injury settlement with the Chicago hospital on behalf of the parents and twin brother of a newborn who died after suffering multiple brain and spinal injuries during birth. The lawsuit alleged that the attending obstetrician failed to timely perform a c-section in the face of ongoing fetal distress and instead continued to deliver our client's son vaginally with the use of multiple vacuum extractions and forceps attempts, 2012
- $1.4 million nursing home negligence settlement for a 78-year-old nursing home resident admitted to Defendant nursing home for rehabilitation. While a resident, our client suffered injuries including, but not limited to, dehydration, malnutrition, and the development of an unstageable pressure sore that became infected requiring surgical and excisional debridements, painful wound care treatments and repeated hospitalizations. The parties reached settlement immediately prior to jury selection. , 2014
- $750,000 nursing home settlement for an improperly positioned gastrostomy tube case.
- American Association For Justice
- And Chicago Bar Association
- Llinois State Bar Association
Office location for Cari F. Silverman
325 North Lasalle Street
Chicago, IL 60654
- Rising Stars: 2013 - 2024