Charles R. Haskins
Top Rated Medical Malpractice Attorney in Chicago, IL
Charles R. Haskins (Chuck) concentrates his practice on medical malpractice, products liability, and premises liability litigation. Chuck has worked at Clifford Law Offices for a number of years. Starting as a clerk, his commitment to his work and dedication to the law was immediately recognized. Chuck decided to work at Clifford Law Offices because of his interest in helping the injured, those who are in their most desperate times of need, and he does so with a calm, studied manner as he approaches every task in life.
In 2019, Chuck obtained a record $101 million verdict on behalf of a baby who sustained brain damage at birth at West Suburban Medical Center in Oak Park, Illinois. The baby was brain damaged at birth when his external fetal monitoring strips were ignored for six hours. Experts on behalf of the plaintiff testified that he would have been born a normal baby if hospital nurses and other medical personnel would have alerted doctors to the abnormalities and performed an emergency C-section. The same year, Chuck obtained an $8.5 million on behalf of a Williamson County man who died when a certified registered nurse anesthetist and hospital employees allowed the patient to become dangerously hypotensive.
In 2018, Chuck and partner Bradley M. Cosgrove tried six multi-week medical malpractice and wrongful death cases, including a $21.5 million verdict on behalf of the family of a six-year-old boy who drowned at a public swimming pool. Mr. Haskins has written extensively on complex legal issues such as Governmental Tort Immunity, and also has researched and written extensively on appellate briefs. In 2017, Chuck second-chaired a trial resulting in a $4.5 million verdict on behalf of a woman who suffered severe neck injuries when a “door-closer” fell on her head as she exited a strip-mall store. The verdict set a record in DuPage County.
Currently, Chuck is working on several complex medical malpractice and personal injury cases, preparing them for trial, including the case of the failure to diagnose and treat a brain aneurysm, a drowning death at a public high school, and an airplane crash.
Chuck spends his time in the courtroom representing the injured or their families on cases such as a $20 million settlement with Senior Partner Robert Clifford and Bradley Cosgrove on a trucking accident case; a $6.5 million settlement for the wrongful death of a 35-year-old husband and father who died as a result of the failure to timely diagnose an aortic dissection; and a woman who suffered cognitive impairment after doctors failed to diagnose and treat a pulmonary embolism – the case settled the day before closing argument.
Chuck graduated from law school cum laude where he was Managing Editor of the Consumer Law Review. He attended the University of Wisconsin-Madison where he received his Bachelor of Arts degree in history and political science. He is a member of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, the Chicago Bar Association, and the Illinois State Bar Association. He has served on the Torts Litigation Committee with the CBA, and is a member of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association’s Board of Managers.
Clifford Law Offices is proud that Charles R. Haskins is a lawyer at the firm and we look forward to his years of hard work and dedication to his clients.
About Charles R. Haskins
First Admitted: 2016, Illinois
Professional Webpage: https://www.cliffordlaw.com/attorneys/charles-r-haskins/
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 2016
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.A., Major: History and Political Science, 2013
- John Cabot University, Semester Abroad, Rome, Italy , 2012
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Clifford Law Offices was recognized by TopVerdict.com for obtaining the #1 jury verdict in the state of Illinois for 2019. Our Chicago personal injury law firm obtained a record $101 million verdict on behalf of a baby who sustained brain damage at birth at West Suburban Medical Center in Oak Park, Illinois. The verdict was obtained by founder and senior partner, Robert A. Clifford, along with firm attorneys Bradley M. Cosgrove, Keith A. Hebeisen, Charles R. Haskins, and Sarah F. King., 2020
- Chuck, along with partner Brad Cosgrove, obtained a $3.6 million settlement on behalf of a 7-year-old boy who suffered a significant traumatic brain injury, broken ribs, and lacerations as a result of being ejected from the rear-seat of his family's vehicle when their car was T-boned by a truck. , 2021
- Chuck, along with partner Brad Cosgrove, obtained a $3.35 million verdict on behalf of a woman who suffered permanent brain damage following an undiagnosed brain tumor. , 2021
- Chuck, along with partners Brad Cosgrove, Keith Hebeisen and Sarah King, obtained a record $101 million verdict on behalf of a baby who sustained brain damage at birth at West Suburban Medical Center. This case is the highest reported Illinois Medical Malpractice verdict. , 2019
- Chuck, and partner Brad Cosgrove, obtained a $21.5 million verdict on behalf of a south suburban family whose son drowned on a weekly trip to a park district pool in 2014. , 2018
- Chuck, along with partner Brad Cosgrove and associate Marta Davidson, obtained a $3 million settlement on behalf of a husband and father of two died as a result of doctor's and physical therapist's failure to recognize obvious signs and symptoms of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) which ultimately led to a fatal pulmonary embolism. , 2017
- Sarah F. King and Charles R. Haskins, attorneys at Clifford Law Offices, co-moderated a two-hour program on “Motion Practice in Cook County Circuit Court’s Law Division” sponsored by the Chicago Bar Association., Co-Moderator, "Motion Practice in Cook County Circuit Court's Law Division", Chicago Bar Association, 2021
- Clifford Law Offices Associates, Kristofer S. Riddle and Charles R. Haskins, will be moderators at the Chicago Bar Association continuing legal education seminar: Motion Practice in Cook County Circuit Court’s Law Division., Co-Moderator, Motion Practice in Cook County Circuit Court's Law Division, Chicago Bar Association, 2020
- Bradley M. Cosgrove, partner at Clifford Law Offices, and Charles R. Haskins, associate at the firm, will be speaking at the Chicago Bar Association Friday, Jan. 11, on “10 Things You Need to Know Before Picking a Jury.”, Speaker, "10 Things You Need to Know Before Picking a Jury", Chicago Bar Association, 2019
- Chicago Bar Association- "Motion Practice in Cook County", Moderator, Co-Moderator, "Motion Practice in Cook County Circuit Court", Chicago Bar Association, 2019
- Charles R. Haskins, associate at Clifford Law Offices, spoke at a program entitled “Medical Malpractice of Non-Employee Doctors: Establishing Agency for Hospital Liability” sponsored by the Chicago Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Tort Litigation Committee. Haskins will be speaking on “Agency in a Medical Malpractice Action.”, Speaker, "Medical Malpractice of Non-Employee Doctors: Establishing Agency for Hospital Liability", Chicago Bar Association, 2018
- Charles R. Haskins, associate at Clifford Law Offices and Chair of the Chicago Bar Association Young Lawyers Tort Litigation Committee, will be moderating a program on Trial Preparation and Presentation at the CBA., Moderator, Trial Preparation and Presentation, Chicago Bar Association, 2017
- Illinois Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2020-Present), Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2022
- Best Lawyers - Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs (2021-Present), Best Lawyers, Best Lawyers, 2022
- Five lawyers from Clifford Law Offices have been included as Rising Stars of the Plaintiffs Bar by The National Law Journal. , Rising Stars, Elite Trial Lawyers, The National Law Journal, 2021
- , 40 Under Forty Honoree, Law Bulletin Publishing Company, 2020
- Law Bulletin Media, Emerging Lawyer, Emerging Lawyer, Law Bulletin Media, 2020
- Chicago Bar Association, YLD Tort Committee Member (2018-Present), 2022
- Illinois State Bar Association (2016-Present), 2022
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association (ITLA) (2016-Present), 2022
- American Bar Association (ABA) (2016-Present), 2022
Last Updated: 3/4/2022