Debora L. Osgood
Top rated Schools & Education attorney in Chicago, IllinoisHogan Marren Babbo & Rose, Ltd.
Practice Areas: Schools & Education, Legislative & Governmental Affairs; view more
Licensed in Illinois since: 1987
Education: The University of Michigan Law School
Hogan Marren Babbo & Rose, Ltd.161 N Clark St
Chicago, IL 60601 Visit website
Attorney Debora L. Osgood is a shareholder with Hogan Marren Babbo & Rose, Ltd., law firm, working primarily out of the firm's law office in Chicago, Illinois. A top-rated attorney with nearly 35 years of total legal experience, Ms. Osgood provides exceptional counsel and support to clients throughout the greater Chicago metro and all across the country who have legal needs involving any of the following:
- Education law
- Government investigations
- Regulatory affairs
Regarded throughout the country as a leader in education law, Ms. Osgood worked for the U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights for 25 years before joining the firm. She has represented a broad range of clients in the education sector, and she has gained a reputation for delivering top-quality results efficiently and cost-effectively. She has focused her practice mostly on discrimination issues and civil rights in education, and she routinely counsels her clients on policy-making and other areas to help them avoid costly litigation.
At all turns, Ms. Osgood provides the trustworthy counsel her clients need to make the best-informed decisions, and she works diligently to help her clients obtain their goals and the positive outcomes they seek in the most expeditious manner possible. She has also published numerous articles and conducted lectures and seminars across the nation on a variety of topics, and she has earned consistent top rankings and endorsements from her peers for her outstanding professionalism.
An honors graduate of Brown University, Ms. Osgood obtained her Juris Doctor cum laude from the University of Michigan Law School, and she received her license to practice from the Illinois State Bar Association in 1987. She also holds her admission to practice in the District of Columbia.
Active in her legal community, Ms. Osgood is a member of the Chicago Bar Association, the National Association of College and University Attorneys, and the National and Illinois Councils of School Attorneys. She also serves as an advisory board member to the Chicagoland Title IX Consortium.
Practice areasSchools & Education, Legislative & Governmental Affairs
- 60% Schools & Education
- 40% Legislative & Governmental Affairs
First Admitted: 1987, Illinois
Professional Webpage: https://www.hmbr.com/people/debora-l-osgood/
- Co-Presenter, “The Shifting Legal Landscape on Sexual Orientation and Transgender Issues in Employment”, NACUA CLE Workshop: Higher Education Employment Law (March 2018).
- “Appropriate Response to Title IX Sexual Harassment and Sexual Violence on Campus: College and University Perspective,” U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, OCR Chicago, OCR’s 2016 Civil Rights Seminar (2016)
- “Top 10 OCR Questions Answered,” Illinois Council of School Attorneys, Seminar on School Law (2016).
- “What Would OCR Think?,” University of South Florida System Title IX Conference (2016).
- “Title IX Compliance,” Chicagoland Title IX Consortium (2017)
- Presenter, “Title IX and Clery Act/VAWA,” Private Career Colleges and Schools (2017 and 2016).
- Moderator, “Race Relations and the First Amendment on College Campuses,” NACUA CLE Discrimination in Higher Education Workshop (2017)
- Presenter, “Navigating Title IX,” Stetson University College of Law, Online Seminar (2017)
- Presenter, “The Fundamentals of Title IX,” Stetson University College of Law: National Conference on Law and Higher Education(2017)
- Presenter, “Investigative Training: Issues Relating to Sexual Violence, Domestic Violence, Dating Violence and Stalking,” HMBR Seminar (2017)
- Co-Presenter, “Transgender Students: The Shifting Legal Landscape and What it All Means for Your Institution,” NACUA Annual Conference (2017)
- Moderator, “Legal Issues When Retaining External Counsel,” NACUA Annual Conference (2017)
- Co-Presenter, How to Prevent a Title IX Lawsuit: Preventative Measures Universities Can Take,” Title IX ExecuSummit (2017).
- Presenter, “The New Interim Title IX Guidance: What You Need to Know,” Chicagoland Title IX Consortium (2017)
- Co-Presenter, “Where is OCR Now: Recent Case Highlights and Process Updates,” University of Vermont Legal Issues in Higher Education Conference (2017)
- Presenter, “OCR Update: What to Expect,” 2017 NASPA Student Affairs Law Conference (2017)
- Presenter, “What to Expect: Federal Civil Rights Enforcement in Higher Education,” Marsh Inaugural Education Forum (2017)
- Presenter, Keynote Address: “The Road Next Travelled: Policies, Procedures and Pro-action,” and “Recent OCR Guidance and Its Impact on Universities,” University of South Florida Title IX Conference (January 2018).
- Co-Presenter, “Title IX Investigations, Impacts and Policy,” and “Due Process in Title IX,” Stetson University College of Law: National Conference on Law and Higher Education (February 2018)
- Brown University, B.A., History, Honors
- National Enforcement Director with the DOE’s Office for Civil Rights, June 2012 to February 2016
- Chicagoland Title IX Consortium, Advisory Board Member
- Illinois Council of School Attorneys
- National Council of School Attorneys
- National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois, 1987
- District of Columbia, 1988
- Member of OCR’s senior leadership team
Office location for Debora L. Osgood
161 N Clark St
Chicago, IL 60601
- Super Lawyers: 2022 - 2023