Donald C. Schiller
Top rated family law attorney in Chicago, IllinoisSchiller DuCanto & Fleck LLP
Practice Areas: Family law
Licensed in Illinois since: 1966
Education: DePaul University College of Law
Schiller DuCanto & Fleck LLP321 N. Clark St
Chicago, IL 60654 Phone: 312-609-5560 Email: Donald C. Schiller Visit website
Each divorce case is unique. No lawyer knows that more keenly than Donald Schiller, who has dedicated his career to serving leaders or their spouses from the business, professional, entertainment and sports communities. Donald is well versed in the complexity of such high net worth and profile cases, which often require multiple legal services, exceptional discretion, and wide-ranging experience. Unique cases demand unique solutions—whether through negotiated settlement or litigation—and Donald has built a reputation and family law firm around providing them in a personalized way for each client. A well-known lecturer and author in his field, Donald has been teaching divorce law at the University of Chicago Law School for over 13 years.
Recognized as one of the nation’s top matrimonial lawyers by Town and Country Magazine, Worth Magazine, Chicago Sun-Times, National Law Journal and Crain’s Chicago Business, Donald has been called a “gentleman in a volatile profession.” His demeanor inspires the confidence of clients, who quickly realize that Donald and his firm understand their needs like no others. Donald is listed in all editions of The Best Lawyers in America and in 2009 was the first to be named as Chicago’s Lawyer of the Year for Family Law. Both “Super Lawyers” and “Leading Lawyers” surveys have named Donald as one of the top 10 lawyers in Illinois. In 2011 the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (Illinois chapter) presented Donald with its prestigious Judge Samuel Berger Award given to one who exemplifies integrity, courtesy, knowledge of family law and possesses an extraordinary ability to solve human problems. He is also the subject of a chapter in the book The Divorce Lawyers by Emily Couric.
Donald's peers have selected him for major professional responsibilities, which included: President of the Illinois State Bar Association, member of the Board of Governors of the American Bar Association, Chair of the ABA’s Family Law Section, Chair of the State Bar’s Family Law Section, National Chair of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers’ Continuing Legal Education Committee Diplomat of the American College of Family Trial Lawyers, member of the Board of Directors of the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, and a co-founder and faculty member of the ABA Family Law Trial Advocacy Institute. DePaul University College of Law has named their family law center the Schiller DuCanto & Fleck family law center. He is also a member of The Economic Club of Chicago.
Donald is a well-known published author and lecturer in the field of family law. Along with Joseph DuCanto, Mr. Schiller founded Schiller DuCanto & Fleck LLP in 1981 with the vision of creating a firm that would be internationally recognized as a model for the practice of family law. The firm has grown to become the largest in the United States that limits its practice to family law.
Donald was featured in February 2010 cover story by Illinois Super Lawyers Magazine (read full article) and in a March 2011 cover story in Chicago's Best Lawyers (read full article).
First Admitted: 1966, Illinois
Professional Webpage: http://www.sdflaw.com/attorneys/dschiller/
- President, Illinois State Bar Association (1987-1988) Founder and first President, Illinois State Bar Association Mutual Insurance Company (1988-1990) Chair of Family Law Section, Illinois State Bar Association Former member of the Board of Governors, Illinois State Bar Association Member of the Board of Governors, American Bar Association Illinois State Delegate to House of Delegates, American Bar Association Former Chair of the Family Law Section, American Bar Association Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers and International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Diplomat, American College of Family Law Trial Lawyers Chair, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (National) Continuing Education Committee Fellow, American Bar Foundation (Life Member) Fellow, Illinois Bar Foundation (Life Member) Matrimonial Law Committee Chairman, Chicago Bar Association (1976-1977) President, ABA Retirement Funds (2005-2006)
- One of the nation's top matrimonial lawyers by Town & Country Magazine, Worth Magazine, The National; DePaul University College of Law has named its Family Law Center the Schiller DuCanto and Fleck; Distinguished Alumni Award, DePaul University (1988); Chair and partner of Schiller DuCanto & Fleck; Listed in Best Lawyers in America by Neifeh and Smith and it's Chicago Family Lawyer of the Year (2009); Law Dragon Magazine named him one of the 500 top lawyers in America (2005-2009); Leading Lawyers Magazine survey named Schiller No. 1 in Matrimonial Law and in the Top Ten of Illinois Lawyers considering all fields of law (2009, 2016); Super Lawyers named him one of the top 10 Lawyers in Illinois considering all fields of law (2006-2009, 2015); Subject of a biography in Who's Who in America, Who's Who in the World, and Who's Who in American; Subject of a chapter in the book, The Divorce Lawyers, by Emily Couric.
- Lecturer at Law, The Law School University of Chicago, 2001- ; Niche Marketing Accentuates Our Exclusivity; Hot Topics in Valuation; Reasonable Attorneys' Fees; What Every Estate Planner Should Know About Divorce Laws; Handling A Client; Trial Practice Considerations; Discovering Employee Benefits; Hot Tip - Taxation of Non-Statutory Stock Options and Deferred Compensation; Soft Points in Business Valuations; "Divorce And Financial Exposure", closing keynote lecture presented at the Campden Conferences High Net Worth Family Wealth Management Conference, February 2, 2007, Hotel duRhone, Geneva, Switzerland; "Using Closely Held Stock To Fund A Marital Settlement", a paper presented at AAML/IICLE program entitled Business Valuation, Financial, and Tax Issues Affecting Divorce 2007-Creative Financial Settlements, January 15, 2007, Wheeling IL; "Dealing With Stock Options In Dissolution Of Marriage Actions", a paper presented at AAML/IICLE program entitled Business Valuation, Financial, and Tax Issues Affecting Divorce 2007-Creative Financial Settlements, January 15, 2007, Wheeling IL.
- DePaul University, J.D. (Law Review 1966); Lake Forest College
- Super Lawyers: 2005 - 2023
Top ListsTop 100: Illinois Super Lawyers: 2005 - 2013, 2016 - 2018, 2020 - 2021
- Top 100: 2021 Illinois Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2020 Illinois Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2018 Illinois Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2017 Illinois Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2016 Illinois Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2013 Illinois Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2012 Illinois Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2011 Illinois Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2010 Illinois Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2009 Illinois Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2008 Illinois Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2007 Illinois Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2006 Illinois Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2005 Illinois Super Lawyers