Jaime A. Koziol Delaney
Top Rated Medical Malpractice Attorney in Chicago, IL
Attorney Jaime A. Koziol Delaney is a partner with Levin & Perconti law firm in Chicago, Illinois. A member of the firm since 2012, Ms. Delaney has become an indispensable part of the team, and she provides unmatched representation and support to clients throughout the greater Chicago metro area and all across the state who have serious personal injury or wrongful death claims arising from medical malpractice, nursing home abuse, motor vehicle accidents, construction and workplace accidents, and other preventable tragedies.
Over the course of her legal career, Ms. Delaney has helped secure millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements for her plaintiff clients. Among her most notable successes are a $9 million settlement for a medical malpractice victim as well as settlements of $3.6 million and $2.5 million for wrongful death and other damages associated with medical malpractice. At all turns, Ms. Delaney delivers highly compassionate, personalized counsel to those she serves as she aggressively pursues the most favorable outcomes possible on their behalf.
Honored for her outstanding professionalism and legal abilities, Ms. Delaney has earned an Emerging Lawyer designation from Leading Lawyers in 2017, and the Chicago Law Bulletin Publishing Company named her among the 40 Attorneys Under Forty to Watch in Illinois in 2016. She has also received many other top rankings and endorsements from her peers along with numerous testimonials and referrals from her satisfied clients.
A 2008 graduate of the University of Miami, Ms. Delaney attended DePaul University College of Law on a merit scholarship, and she obtained her Juris Doctor in 2011. A dean's list scholar in law school, she served on the research staff of the DePaul Business and Commercial Law Journal and then as managing editor of lead articles her third year. She also received the CALI Award for Excellence in Mediation in 2011.
Ms. Delaney is a certified faculty member of the National Academy of Continuing Legal Education, and she has conducted numerous lectures and continuing legal education seminars across her region. She is also an active member of the Chicago and Illinois State bar associations as well as the Women's Bar of Association of Illinois and the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association Young Lawyer's Division.
About Jaime A. Koziol Delaney
First Admitted: 2011, Illinois
Professional Webpage: https://www.levinperconti.com/attorneys/jaime-koziol-delaney...
- Emerging Lawyer Leading Lawyers 2017
- CALI Award for Excellence in Mediation
- Law Bulletin Publishing Company "Top 40 Attorneys Under 40" Award, Law Bulletin Publishing Company , 2016
- Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Stars 2015-2020
- University of Miami, B.A - Speech Communication and Journalism, 2008
Pro bono/Community Service
- Coordinated Advice and Referral Program, Legal Services hotline
- Jaime is handling a case in which our client suffered permanent injuries in a motorcycle accident. The defendant car driver failed to yield the right-of-way to the plaintiff’s motorcycle when turning left, resulting in a collision. Jaime’s client suffered from a right shoulder dislocation, a shattered shoulder blade and a torn rotator cuff, resulting in multiple surgeries.
- Recently filed a medical malpractice lawsuit in Morgan County for the family of a 39-year-old woman who died as a result of ER physician's failure to timely diagnose her cardiac condition.
- Jaime has a filed case against a nursing home in Peru, Illinois, for their improper transfer of our client. Instead of utilizing a Hoyer lift for the transfer, as called for in her care plan, the nursing staff transferred the resident utilizing a sit to stand transfer, which resulted in the resident sustaining a left femur fracture and ulimtaely the need for an above-the-knee amputation. A comprehensive review of the the regulatory history of the facility established a systemic issue to defeat Defendant’s argument that the certified nursing assistant was acting as a "rogue" CNA.
- Recently filed suit against a Matteson, Ill. nursing home for the family of a resident who suffered dehydration and infected bed sores as a result of nursing home negligence, and her injuries contributed to her death.
- Jaime is representing a 50-year-old client who sustained a brachial plexus nerve injury during surgery at a Kankakee Hospital. As a result, her client now suffers severe pain, and permanent disability in her lower arm and hand. The case is set for trial in 2017 and Jaime will be second chair.
- $1,035,000 million nursing home and medical malpractice settlement involving mismanagement of resident’s Coumadin resulting in internal bleeding causing death. Jaime was responsible for the depositions of several Defendant witnesses that contributed to the early resolution of this tragic case.
- $2,500,000 Settlement in a birth injury case for a 2 year old., 2017
- $750,000 nursing home settlement for the family of a former nursing home resident who died after developing nineteen pressure ulcers while living at the defendant facility. These injuries caused or contributed to her death., 2014
- $700,000 settlement for the family of a 78-year-old woman who died after suffering multiple infected pressure sores and dehydration while under the care of the defendant nursing home., 2013
- $1.17 million medical malpractice verdict for an 84-year-old nursing home resident who suffered an embolic ischemic stroke after her attending physician failed to appropriately order and monitor her Coumadin. Jaime gave the opening and closing argument during this trial and presented some of the Plaintiff’s key witnesses.
- $801,564 medical malpractice verdict for the injuries of an 80-year-old woman whose physician failed to diagnose a hip fracture which, in combination with the negligence of the hospitals nursing staff contributed to the development of a sacral pressure ulcer that she lived with for four years. Jaime was second chair on this trial and was responsible for arguing important motions in limine and presenting witnesses including cross examining the Defendant’s nursing expert.
- $940,000 nursing home negligence settlement for a nursing home resident who suffered severe burns after a fire erupted in her room. Due to Jaime’s extensive pre-trial investigations the case settled for the policy limits after one deposition.
- $748,000 settlement in a defamation case for a camp counselor who was wrongfully accused of sexual abuse.
- $9 million medical malpractice settlement against a hospital and physicians for not performing the appropriate Group B streptococcal prenatal screening which resulted in transmission of a Group B streptococcal infection to the baby. As a result, the child suffered Group B streptococcal sepsis, meningitis, a hypoxic ischemic brain injury and ultimately a catastrophic brain injury.
- $900,000 medical malpractice settlement for a 86-year-old psychiatric patient of a Chicago hospital who fell at the facility on the day of admission and broke her hip which contributed to the development of a sacral pressure ulcer that became infected and led to her death.
- $410,000 settlement for the surviving family of a nursing home resident in a case involving abuse and negligence.
- $1 million nursing home negligence settlement for a 91-year-old nursing home resident who fell several times at the nursing home, and ultimately died from the injuries she suffered.
- $3.6 million medical malpractice settlement for the death of a 26 year old, 2017
Other Outstanding Achievements
- CALI Award for Excellence in Mediation Dean’s List Merit Scholarship 2008-2011
- Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education. "Mediating and Settling Nursing Home Cases," Chicago, IL. April 16, 2015.
- Amazing Verdicts Seminar, Lecturer, January 26, 2016
- National Lewis University, Elder Law in a Nutshell, Lecturer, June 15, 2015.
- National Academy of Continuing Legal Education, Lecturer, "Mediation and Settlement in Nursing Home Cases," April 16, 2015.
- Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Lecturer, Nursing Home & Assisted Living Facility Litigation Seminar, "Liability Insurance Issues- Ethical, Practical, and Strategic Challenges" Collinsville, IL, February 12, 2015.
- Chicago Bar Association, Lecturer, Personal Injury Settlements, Probate Practice Committee Seminar, "Personal Injury Settlements in Probate," November 12, 2013.
- Women's Bar Association Newsletter, Legal Developments, Probate Estates in Survival and Wrongful Death Actions, September 2012.
- New Jersey Association for Justice, Board Walk Seminar, Lecturer, Nursing Home Litigation, "Depositions for Keeps," Atlantic City, NJ, April 27, 2016.
- Chicago Bar Association’s Tort Committee, Speaker, "So You're Trying Your First Nursing Home Case?: Some Things You Should Know" , 2017
- Illinois Bar Association Member, 2014
- DePaul College of Law School’s Alumni Mentoring program
- Chicago Bar Association Member, 2014
- Federal Bar Associaiton
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association Young Lawyer’s Division
- Women's Bar Association of Illinois, 2014
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Women's Bar Association Of Illinois
Last Updated: 10/7/2022