Jeffery M. Leving
Top rated family law attorney in Chicago, IllinoisThe Law Offices of Jeffery M. Leving, Ltd.
Practice Areas: Family law; view more
Licensed in Illinois since: 1979
Jeffery M. Leving is a seasoned attorney who has focused his practice on the area of fathers' rights. Serving clients in the state of Illinois, he handles matters such as divorce, family law and child custody, and at his Chicago-based firm, the Law Offices of Jeffery M. Leving, Ltd., he leads a team of legal professionals dedicated to upholding the rights of clients in family and matrimonial law cases.
In addition to his work at the firm, Mr. Leving has authored several books covering divorce-related issues both within and outside of the legal realm. His most recent work, "How to be a Good Divorced Dad: Being the Best Parent You Can Be Before, During, and After the Break-Up," garnered praise from both President Obama and Francis Cardinal George of the Archdiocese of Chicago. The White House also honored him with the National Call to Service Award in 2012.
In his home state, Mr. Leving has co-authored the Illinois Virtual Visitation, Right to DNA Testing Notice, and Unlawful Visitation or Parenting Time Interference Laws as well as the Illinois Joint Custody Law. He has shared his experience in the field by lecturing both locally and nationally on family law issues, and he testified before both branches of the Illinois Legislature on several bills concerning custody and visitation rights.
Mr. Leving earned his Juris Doctor from the Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago-Kent College of Law in 1979. He is a member of the American Bar Association, the Illinois State Bar Association, the Chicago Bar Association, the Federal Trial Bar, the Decalogue Society of Lawyers and numerous county Bar Associations within Illinois.
Practice areasFamily law
Adoption, Alimony & spousal support, Child support, Custody & visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic violence, Juvenile law, Name change, Paternity, Prenuptial agreements, Marital property, Mediation & collaborative law, Same sex family law
- 100% Family law
First Admitted: 1979, Illinois
Professional Webpage: https://www.jmlevinglawltd.com/Attorneys/Jeffery-M-Leving.sh...
- Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Illinois, B.S., 1974
- Professional Achievement Award from the Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago-Kent College of Law, 2012
- President Barack Obama awarded him the National Lifetime Call to Service Award, 2012
- One of Illinois' Top Attorneys
- Recognition and Commendation Award for Meritorious Service to the Public and Legal Community from the Illinois State Bar Association
- The Illinois House of Representatives honored Leving by adopting Resolution No. 995 "for his work in safeguarding the rights of fathers and protecting the welfare of children and families in this State" and for his "hard work, integrity, and dedication for the people of the State of Illinois", April 26, 2012
- "Protection of the Family" Award from the Illinois State Crime Commission
- "America's Best Lawyers" by Forbes Radio™
- Co-Authorship, Illinois Virtual Visitation
- Co-Authorship, Right to DNA Testing Notice
- Co-Authorship, Unlawful Visitation or Parenting Time Interference Laws
- Co-Authorship, Illinois Joint Custody Law
- Fathers' Rights: Hard-Hitting & Fair Advice for Every Father Involved in a Custody Dispute, Basic Books
- Divorce Wars: A Field Guide to the Winning Tactics, Preemptive Strikes, and Top Maneuvers When Divorce Gets Ugly, HarperCollins
- Divorce Wars: A Field Guide to the Winning Tactics, Preemptive Strikes, and Top Maneuvers When Divorce Gets Ugly, Leving's Divorce Magazine
- How to be a Good Divorced Dad: Being the Best Parent you Can Be Before, During, and After the Break-Up, Jossey-Bass
- The Kane County Bar Association
- The Decalogue Society of Lawyers
- U.S. Supreme Court
- The Chicago Bar Association
- The McHenry County Bar Association
- The Federal Trial Bar
- U.S. 7th Circuit Court of Appeals
- The Illinois State Bar Association
- The DuPage County Bar Association
- The LaSalle County Bar Association
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- American Bar Association
- The Lake County Bar Association
Office location for Jeffery M. Leving
19 South LaSalle Street
Chicago, IL 60603
- Super Lawyers: 2005
See legal Q & A provided by Jeffery M. Leving
Q: What are tips for selecting a lawyer to handle my divorce in Illinois?A: As soon as you realize that your marriage is in danger of coming apart, it is important to find an experienced divorce lawyer who can and will fight …
Q: How do I get a visitation order in Illinois?A: Obtaining a court-ordered visitation schedule in Illinois is critically important to protect your rights to see your children. Without a court order … See all answers by Jeffery Leving