John J. Perconti
Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney in Chicago, IL
John J. Perconti is a highly-acclaimed Illinois attorney and co-founder of Levin & Perconti. For over 25 years, he has devoted his practice to advocating for people and families in personal injury and wrongful death cases. In 1992, he merged his practice with Steven Levin, and now the firm employs over twenty lawyers and has obtained over $520 million in verdicts and settlements for clients.
John has an excellent record of success representing clients in injury, elder abuse and wrongful death cases. He is nationally recognized as one of the country’s leading medical malpractice attorneys because of his extensive experience in federal and state courts. He possesses an in-depth knowledge of complex medical issues that has allowed him to achieve record-setting multimillion-dollar verdicts and settlements for his clients.
John obtained a $14 million record failure to diagnose cancer verdict in Illinois for a woman whose doctor delayed her diagnosis of lung cancer. He also obtained a $7.5 millions record Illinois Jones Act settlement for a boat worker who was injured in a boat explosion in Alton, Ill.
In a birth injury case, John reached a $6.5 million settlement for a young girl who suffers from cerebral palsy as a result of an inexperienced physician’s failure to perform a timely c-section. John also achieved a $5.77 million Federal Tort Claims Act bench trial verdict against a Veteran’s Administration and a $5.35 million against a Chicago hospital for the family of an 18-year-old woman who died when hospital staff failed to diagnose her with postpartum cardiomyopathy.
John is regarded as one of the leading nursing home negligence lawyers in Chicago for his work on behalf of victims of abuse and neglect. John achieved a $3 million Illinois record nursing home pressure sore settlement for a client. In 2011 he recovered a $1 million settlement in a nursing home fall case.
John also has experience in all types of injury and accident cases. He achieved a $10 million settlement for a 5-year-old boy who lost his leg when he was run over by a fire truck. In 2010, John obtained a $6.5 million settlement for the family of a 32-year-old woman who was killed in a trucking accident. This settlement was a record-high settlement for a Kane County wrongful death claim . Additionally, John negotiated a $6 million settlement for two families who lost six children in an apartment fire, and in 2008, he reached a Jones Act settlement for $4.5 million for a deckhand whose leg was injured on a barge and required an above-the-knee amputation. In October 2015, John secured a $4.29 million medical malpractice settlement for a 38-year-old woman who died as a result of a hospital and 5 physicians failing to recognize and treat a pericardial effusion, causing cardiac tamponade. He also settled a $3 million medical malpractice lawsuit against Advocate Brommen Hospital in Normal, IL.
John is an active member of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, American Association for Justice, Illinois State Bar Association, Chicago Bar Association, Society of Trial Lawyers, The Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America and The Justinian Society of Lawyers, and has been a strong voice against tort reform. He is also a member of The National Trial Lawyers, an organization composed of The Top 100 Trial Lawyers from each state, and is a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America.
John was recently selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® for 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 in the field of Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs. He has received an “AV” rating from the Martindale-Hubbell American Law Directory, indicating preeminent legal ability and very high ethical standards. He has also been named one of Illinois’ top litigators by Leading Lawyers Network and achieved a Lead Counsel Rating in Elder Law .
In 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 John was included in Chicago Magazine's Illinois: The Top 100 list , a listing of lawyers who topped the Illinois Super Lawyers nomination, research and review process. He has been named an Illinois Super Lawyer every year since 2005.
John was born and raised in Chicago and resides in suburban Chicago with his wife, Toni, and daughters Morgan and Paige.
- 50%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 50%Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
Animal Bites, Assault, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Wrongful Death, Construction Accident, Brain Injury, Sexual Abuse - Plaintiff, Trucking Accidents, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Dental Malpractice, Medical Malpractice, Birth Injury
- Super Lawyers: 2005 - 2006, 2008 - 2023
- Top 100: 2021 Illinois Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2020 Illinois Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2019 Illinois Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2018 Illinois Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2017 Illinois Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2016 Illinois Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2015 Illinois Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2014 Illinois Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2013 Illinois Super Lawyers
About John J. Perconti
First Admitted: 1982, Illinois
Professional Webpage: http://www.levinperconti.com/lawyer-attorney-1087730.html
- $14 million record high verdict against a doctor and hospital for not following and ignoring abnormal chest X-ray results, which caused a substantial delay in the diagnosis of lung cancer.
- $2,500,000 Settlement in a birth injury case for a 2 year old., 2017
- $4.5 million Illinois record Jones Act settlement for a deckhand whose leg was crushed between two barges resulting in an above the knee amputation
- $6.0 million settlement for the families of 6 children who died in a tragic apartment fire on Chicago's north side. Two other children sustained severe burns in the fire. The landlords of the building failed to have proper and working smoke detectors in violation of the Chicago Municipal Code and the children were not able to escape the building in time.
- $2 million medical malpractice settlement for the family of a 33-year-old woman who after falling into a diabetic coma following a routine medical procedure at the defendant hospital. The lawsuit alleged that the hospitalist failed to consider our client's risk for low blood sugar because she was on a long-acting form of insulin but was not eating by mouth. As a result our client's blood sugar levels dropped and this drop caused her to fall into a coma., 2014
- $6.5 million birth injury settlement for a young girl who suffered a brain injury during birth, resulting in cerebral palsy, after physicians failed to timely perform a c-section.
- $750,000 Federal Tort Claims Act settlement, 2014
- $3 million medical malpractice settlement
- $698,000 settlement against a Naperville hospital and ambulance service for the death of an 81-year-old patient. Our client suffered a stroke at the hospital, but the hospital did not have a stroke center and did not timely transfer her to a hospital with a stroke center. As a result of these delays she suffered severe and permanent brain damage and died from her injuries. , 2012
- $875,000 settlement for the family of a man who choked to death at the Center for Hispanic Elderly on the Northwest side of Chicago., 2017
- $5 million verdict against a doctor and resident for mishandling a breathing tube, losing our 14-year-old quadriplegic client's airway, which led to her death.
- $1.4 million verdict against a nursing home for failure to manage a nursing home resident's behavior which caused a shoving match, fall, hip fracture and death of a 79 year old fellow nursing home resident.
- $6.5 million settlement ($4.7million record Kane County wrongful death settlement) for the family of a 32-year-old woman who was killed when their pick-up truck was rear-ended by a semi-truck. Our client and his son both suffered significant personal injuries in the collision. The defendant truck driver was found to be under the influence of marijuana and operating an over-loaded, unsafe truck. In violation of federal regulations, the defendant truck owners failed to drug-screen or perform background checks on their drivers.
- $1.3 million nursing home negligence settlement on behalf of a 51-year-old man who was admitted to the defendant nursing home for rehabilitation after developing paralysis following a motorcycle accident. During his stay he developed an infected pressure sore on his sacrum that required surgical intervention. The suit alleged that the nursing staff failed to provide our client with the appropriate interventions to prevent him from developing pressure sores and then failed to identify or properly treat his pressure sore. , 2014
- $7.5 million Illinois Record Jones Act settlement for a 37-year-old man who sustained serious neck and spinal cord injuries in an Illinois boat explosion.
- $4 million Chicago medical malpractice settlement for the family of a young woman who died as a result of medical negligence. Doctors failed to provide proper treatment or surgery in a timely manner, and our client suffered severe brain damage from which she never recovered. , 2013
- $1,250,000.00 medical malpractice settlement for a child who obtained a chemical burn on the arm at a Chicago area hospital., 2017
- $10 million settlement for a 5-year-old boy who was run over by a City of Chicago Fire Department truck while playing in an open fire hydrant on the Fourth of July, resulting in the loss of his leg and half of his pelvis.
- $3 million record nursing home pressure sore settlement against a suburban Hillside nursing home and physician for a 59-year-old resident who developed multiple painful and infected bedsores which took four years to heal.
- $665,000 nursing home settlement for the surviving family of a man who suffered a serious brain injury in a fall at the defendant facility. His injuries contributed to his death six days after his fall., 2012
- $5.77 million Federal Tort Claims Act bench trial verdict by a federal judge for a woman who became paralyzed as a result of a Veterans Administration physician's failure to recognize worsening neurological symptoms and perform a necessary surgery to relieve spinal cord compression.
- $1.75 million medical malpractice settlement for a 48-year-old woman who suffered a stroke following a cardiac catheterization procedure. Her cardiologist failed to recognize her signs and symptoms of a stroke and failed to recognize that she was experiencing a significant neurological deficits. He also failed to order the appropriate tests after our client exhibited signs and symptoms of a stroke. As a result, her stroke went untreated and resulted in her suffering severe and permanent vision loss., 2014
- $5.35 million settlement against a hospital and hospital staff for failure to diagnose postpartum cardiomyopathy in an 18-year-old woman who had just had her first child one month earlier. The victim died as a result of this failure to diagnose.
- $1.25 million medical malpractice settlement, 2014
- $645,000 nursing home verdict for the family of an 81-year-old man who suffered a serious brain injury after falling out of his wheelchair at the defendant nursing home. He later died from complications linked to his injuries. , 2012
- Member, DuPage and Cook County Chapters, Justinian Society of Lawyers
- Fellow of the Litigation Council of America
- Member, American Association for Justice
- Member, The Society of Trial Lawyers
- Member, Illinois State Bar Association
- National Italian American Bar Association, Member
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
- Member, The National Trial Lawyers
- Illinois, 1982
- Dean Fred F. Herzog Moot Court Competition Judge February 26, 2013 in the Dirksen Federal Building
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1982
- Member, Medical Negligence Committee, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- Leading American Illinois Attorney
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America, 2012
- "AV" Peer Rated Review, , Martindale-Hubbell, 2013
- The Best Lawyers in America® in the field of Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs, 2014
- Chicago Lawyer Magazine's Illinois Top 100 Attorneys, 2013
- "AV" peer reviewed rating, Martindale-Hubbell, 2007 - 2012
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2013 in the field of Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs
- "AV" Peer Rated Review, Martindale-Hubbell, 2014
- Illinois Super Lawyer Illinois Top 100 2013-2018
- Leading Lawyers: Top Lawyers in Illinois
- Illinois Leading Lawyers, 2006 - 2017
- Illinois Leading Lawyers Network, 2013
- Leading Lawyers, Illinois Leading Lawyers Network, 2014
- Presenter at 20th Annual Elder Rights Conference, "Litigation and Advocacy Tips," Chicago, IL.
- Faculty presenter for Lorman Education Services: "An Update on Supreme Court Rule 213(f) and (g) in Illinois."
- "Litigating Rezulin Cases", American Association for Justice, National College of Advocacy
- "Federal Expert Witness Practice", Chicago Bar Association
- Presented to the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association Webinar, "How to Successfully Sue Nursing Homes," Chicago, IL.
- University of Illinois, B.A., 1979
- Link to the Levin & Perconti video center: http://www.levinperconti.com/lawyer-attorney-1779369.html, www.levinperconti.com/lawyer-attorney-1779369.html
- American Association For Justice
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- Litigation Counsel Of America
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- The Justinian Society
- The Society Of Trial Lawyers
- We are pleased to announce that seven Levin & Perconti attorneys were recognized in the 2023 edition of Best Lawyer… https://t.co/MT491ruh4w
- Partner Kelly Sabo Gaden recently spoke to the @CDLB about a federal judge’s decision to remand one of our firm’s… https://t.co/3bhMcfJxwT
- We’re currently looking for talented lawyers and legal assistants to join our team! At Levin & Perconti, we provide… https://t.co/4NQqVnNlUV
- On Friday, Levin & Perconti attorneys had a great time at the Women’s Bar Association’s 26th Annual Golf Outing! Sp… https://t.co/v2wJocQ0Bb
- Michael Bonamarte made an appearance on the front page of the @chicagotribune after visiting family-owned… https://t.co/1sk8oQIf1Y
Last Updated: 8/10/2022