John R. Malkinson
Top rated personal injury attorney in Chicago, IllinoisMalkinson & Halpern, P.C.
A founding member of Malkinson & Halpern, P.C., John Malkinson is committed to asserting and defending the rights of his clients. Mr. Malkinson heads the personal injury and complex litigation aspect of the firm's practice, concentrating on trucking collisions, catastrophic injury, wrongful death, price-fixing and False Claims Act/whistleblower suits. He also participates in the firm's handling of sexual harassment and class action employment law issues.
Mr. Malkinson has a reputation for providing top-tier legal representation to clients in need. His practical and detail-oriented approach has resulted in millions of dollars recovered on behalf of business consumers and personal injury/medical malpractice victims. Prior to becoming an attorney, Mr. Malkinson worked for two years in hospital administration, managing the daily operations of surgical, intensive care and rehabilitation wards. As an attorney, he is knowledgeable and experienced in handling a range of personal injury, wrongful death and medical malpractice issues such as birth trauma, brain injuries, botched spinal, neurological and other surgeries, hemodialysis mishaps, and the misdiagnosis of cancer and other illnesses. He has participated in successfully prosecuting several nationwide price-fixing cases against corporate giants involved in national and international cartels, including cases involving food products and additives, chemicals, paper, polyurethane foam, freight forwarding services, industrial compounds, foundry resin, and chain link fence, leveling the playing field and recouping damages for family-run and other businesses who directly purchased such products at criminally elevated prices.
Mr. Malkinson's professional skill and achievements are reflected in numerous recognitions he's received over the years. He is a member of the Million Dollar and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forums, has been named as one of Illinois' Top 100 Trial Lawyers by the National Trial Lawyers and by the American Society of Legal Advocates, has been recognized by his peers as an Illinois Super Lawyer for 10 consecutive years, and as one of the top 100 Super Lawyer Attorneys in Illinois by Chicago Magazine (2013 and 2014, 2016, 2018). Mr. Malkinson holds the highest possible rating from AVVO.com ("Superb, 10.0").
Practice areasPersonal injury - general: plaintiff, Antitrust litigation, Employment & labor: employee
Personal injury - plaintiff, Wrongful death, Trucking accidents, Antitrust & trade litigation, Wage & hour laws, Whistleblower, Sexual harassment
- 40% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
- 40% Antitrust litigation
- 20% Employment & labor: employee
First Admitted: 1983, Illinois
Professional Webpage: http://www.mhtriallaw.com/malkinson.html
- , Top 100 Attorneys in Illinois, American Society of Legal Advocates
- Top 100 Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers,, The National Trial Lawyers
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers, 2016
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Member
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers, 2015
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates, Member
- Federal Trial Bar, United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- Licensed Attorney, State of Illinois
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- United States Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- American Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Grinnell College, B.A.
- $850,000.00 for wrongful death of businessman, attributed to misdiagnoses by physician specialists.
- $312,500 class action settlement on behalf of local fast-food workers who had been compelled to work while "off the clock" in violation of wage and hour laws
- $560,000.00 settlement of Wage/Hour Racial Discrimination Class Action on behalf of 36 government employees
- $1.5 Million commercial trucking collision/wrongful death of caring father, on behalf of his surviving adult children.
- $1.5 million settlement for wrongful death of newborn arising from improper placement of intravenous feeding tube into the baby's abdominal cavity instead of a blood vessel.
- $1.2 million medical malpractice settlement for the wrongful death of a 79-year old woman who presented to a hospital emergency room complaining of severe chest pain and was deemed low priority and eventually found with no heartbeat despite a functioning heart monitor
- $775,000.00 medical malpractice result for a gentleman who sustained a severed nerve in his arm during surgery, causing permanent disability and disfigurement.
- $2.0 Million combined result on behalf of the United States of America, the State of Illinois (False Claims Act/Whistleblower statutes), and a class of Illinois debtors (Fair Debt Collection Practices Act/Consumer Fraud), attributed to improper crediting by collection law firm.
- $1.85 million for agricultural worker who suffered a severe, permanent crush injury to his lower leg., 2021
- $1.2 Million on behalf of a woman who suffered herniated discs and other injuries when struck as a pedestrian while crossing mid-block, and when rear-ended in low-speed collision.
- Speaker, Tortious Interference With Contract/Business, Automotive Repair Industry, 2000
- Speaker, Basic Issues in Employment Law, Business Executives Association, 2010
- Speaker, Social Host Liability for the Service of Alcohol to Minors
- Speaker, Persuasion; A Lawyer's Perspective, Business Executives Association, 2010
- Elected, Board of Directors, Project: Vision, a youth-enrichment charitable organization, Chicago, IL, 2018
- Elected, Executive Board of Directors, Community Support Services, Inc. ("CSS"), Brookfield, IL., 2013-2014
- Automotive Body Repair
- Chemical Supply
- Food Ingredient
Office location for John R. Malkinson
33 N Dearborn St
Chicago, IL 60602
- Super Lawyers: 2005 - 2023