Jonathan D. Karmel
Top rated employment & labor attorney in Chicago, IllinoisKarmel Law Firm
Practice Areas: Employment & labor, Employee benefits, Class action & mass torts; view more
Licensed in Illinois since: 1982
Education: The John Marshall Law School
Karmel Law Firm20 S. Clark Street
Chicago, IL 60603 Visit website
Jonathan D. Karmel is an attorney and the founder of Karmel Law Firm in Chicago, Illinois. Mr. Karmel has more than 30 years of experience practicing labor law and serves clients in the Chicago metropolitan area, western Michigan and nationwide. He has experience representing both sides in labor union disputes, with a focus on employees facing employment discrimination matters.
Mr. Karmel became a licensed attorney in 1982. He is admitted in state and federal courts in Illinois, Michigan and Indiana. He is also licensed before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th, 7th and 9th Circuits. Over the course of his career, he has handled a wide variety labor and employment law matters including those involving discrimination, sexual harassment, wage and hour violations, and whistleblower claims.
Additionally, Mr. Karmel has taken on cases involving employee benefits, grievance arbitration and internal union matters. He has litigated in many different courts throughout the country and before the National Labor Relations Board.
Mr. Karmel holds a bachelor’s degree in political science from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He received his law degree from The John Marshall Law School and attended graduate school at Yale University where he pursued a master’s degree in political science.
Along with his practice, Mr. Karmel enjoys educating others on labor and employment-related legal topics. He is a former instructor at the John Marshall Law School and served as an author and speaker on labor law for the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education. He continues to teach the Kessler-Eidson Program for Trial Techniques at Emory University School of Law.
Practice areasEmployment & labor: employee, Employee benefits, Class action/mass torts: plaintiff
Employment law - employee, Unions, Labor law, Class actions
- 70% Employment & labor: employee
- 20% Employee benefits
- 10% Class action/mass torts: plaintiff
First Admitted: 1982, Illinois
Professional Webpage: https://www.karmellawfirm.com/Attorneys/Jonathan-D-Karmel.sh...
- 2015 Illinois Super Lawyers - Employment & Labor, January 1, 2015 - December 31, 2015
- 2016 Illinois Super Lawyers - Employment & Labor, January 1, 2016 - December 31, 2016
- 2014 Illinois Super Lawyers - Employment & Labor, January 1, 2014 - December 31, 2014
- College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, Fellow
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Illinois, 2005
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana, 2003
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan, 1999
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1998
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan, 1997
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 1983
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1999
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1986
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1992
- Michigan, 2013
- Illinois, 1982
- Instructor at the Emory College of Law Kessler-Eidson Program for Trial Techniques
- Yale University, Graduate School, Political Science, New Haven, Connecticut, 1979
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, B.A., Bachelor of Arts, Honors: With Honors, Major: Political Science, 1978
- Author: Dying to Work: Death and Injury in the American Workplace (Cornell University Press, 2017)
- Chapter Author/Lecturer, Labor Law, Illinois Institute Continuing Legal Education, 1986 - 2000
- Instructor, John Marshall Law School, 1984 - 1986
Office location for Jonathan D. Karmel
20 S. Clark Street
Chicago, IL 60603
- Super Lawyers: 2013 - 2023