Marc J. Siegel
Top rated employment litigation attorney in Chicago, IllinoisSiegel & Dolan Ltd.
Marc J. Siegel is the founder and managing partner of Siegel & Dolan Ltd., located in Chicago, Illinois. Focusing his practice exclusively on employment law, he represents executives, professionals and employees throughout Cook County in a variety of matters, including employment contracts, executive compensation and confidentiality agreements. Mr. Siegel has successfully negotiated significant severance packages for his executive clients.
After graduating cum laude from Duke University with a Bachelor of Arts in political science, Mr. Siegel went on to attend the University of Illinois College of Law and was awarded his Juris Doctor cum laude. While in law school, he was a member of its Moot Court Bench. After graduation, Mr. Siegel spent several years with a Chicago labor and employment firm where he represented employers before founding his current firm in 2002. Admitted to practice in Illinois, he is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois and the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
A certified mediator, Mr. Siegel has been appointed as a labor and employment law arbitrator by the American Arbitration Association. He has secured significant awards for his clients, including a $2.55 million class-action settlement on behalf of workers at an Illinois manufacturer. Dedicated to helping the poor, Mr. Siegel provides pro bono services to indigent workers through Chicago Volunteer Legal Services and the Chicago Interfaith Committee on Worker Issues. He is bilingual in English and Spanish, helping him to be more accessible to many of his clients. Highly regarded by his fellow professionals, Mr. Siegel has received an AV Preeminent* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell, and he has shared his knowledge and experience by delivering presentations at numerous employment law conferences. He is an active participant in several professional organizations, including the National Employment Lawyers Association.
*AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories: legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasEmployment litigation: plaintiff, Employment & labor: employee, General litigation
Employment discrimination, Wrongful termination, Retaliation, Unions, Wage & hour laws, Whistleblower, Sexual harassment, Labor law, Litigation
- 50% Employment litigation: plaintiff
- 30% Employment & labor: employee
- 20% General litigation
First Admitted: 1996, Illinois
Professional Webpage: https://www.msiegellaw.com/attorneys/marc-j-siegel/
- Mr. Siegel has been named by Super Lawyers as an Illinois Super Lawyer (top 5% of all lawyers); 2009-2014.
- Mr. Siegel has been named by Super Lawyers as an one of the top 100 lawyers (out of 60,000-90,000 lawyers) in the State of Illinois in all areas of practice; 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018
- Mr. Siegel was named one of the Law Bulletin’s “40 under 40” (out of more than 1,000 applicants); 2012
- Mr. Siegel has been awarded an “AV” peer review rating by LexisNexis’ Martindale-Hubbell. According to Martindale-Hubbell, “AV” is the highest possible rating, achievable only after admission to the bar for at least ten years, and indicating the highest level of legal ability and ethics. An “AV” rating is the pinnacle of professional excellence.
- Mr. Siegel was named by Leading Lawyer Magazine as a Leading Lawyer (top 5% of all lawyers); 2013
- Certified Mediator
- AAA Arbitrator
- Hundreds of private employment settlements, which because of standard confidentiality requirements, details cannot be provided.
- Singer, et al. v. Lockport Beef, LLC, et al., N.D. Ill. No. 14-C-0670
- Cardenas, et al. v. John B. Sanfilippo & Son, Inc., N.D. Ill. No. 10-CV-01354
- Cornell v. BP America, Inc., N.D. Ill. No. 14-C-2123
- Leon, et al. v. El Milagro, N.D. Ill. No. 11-C-4255
- Palmerin, et al. v. Serra Landscaping, Inc., f/k/a John Serra Landscaping, Inc., and John Serra, individually, N.D. Ill. No. 06-C-1115
- Zarazinski v. ACCO Brands Corp. and General Binding Corp., Circuit Court of Cook County No. 2006-L-8297
- Brandon, et al. v. 3PD, Inc., N.D. Ill. No. 13-C-3745
- Sanchez, et al. v. Stampede Meat, Inc., N.D. Ill. No. 02-C-5452
- Mr. Siegel represents all types of employees from the highest-level executives at Fortune 500 companies to hourly-wage workers.
- Allied Waste
- HARPO (Oprah Winfrey’s company)
- Marmon Corporation
- Admission: United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Illinois Supreme Court, and United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- National Employment Lawyers Association
- Association of Attorney-Mediators
- “The Flip Side Of Negotiation: Effectively Interacting With Your Client” June 2009, at the 2009 National Employment Lawyers Association National Convention in Rancho Mirage, California
- “Insight About the Management Bar: A Former Management Attorney’s ‘Inside’ Knowledge and How It Can Help You Represent Employees” June 2008, before 400 attendees at the 2008 National Employment Lawyers Association National Convention in Atlanta, Georgia and February 2008, at the Seventh Circuit Conference in Chicago
- “Leveling the Employment Playing Field: Who’s On First” July 2008, before an audience of attorneys sponsored by the Chicago Volunteer Legal Services
- “Your Employee is on FMLA Leave: Figuring Out How to Handle Benefits and Other Policy Issues” September 2007, at the 2007 FMLA Update seminar presented by the Council on Education in Management
- “Winning the Summary Judgment Game Before It Is Played: A Unique Framework for Negotiation” June 2007, before 500 attendees as one of a panel of speakers discussing “State of the Art Negotiation and Mediation” at the 2007 National Employment Lawyers Association National Convention in San Juan, Puerto Rico
- “Hiring Latinos for Retention Success: Best Practices and Legal Guidelines” May 2007, at a seminar for human resources professionals sponsored by Graciela Kenig & Associates
- Published author in a variety of major newspapers, journals, and public records, including IICLE, Philadelphia Inquirer, Christian Science Monitor, and Congressional Record
- NELA/National Panel: Immigration Status and Employment Law, 2012
- “My Favorite Mistake: Plaintiff’s Perspective on Employer Behavior That Leads to Litigation” — May 2011, before 180 attendees at the 2011 Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies Seminar in Chicago
- B.A. in Political Science, cum laude, Duke University: • Dispute mediator for the Durham Dispute Settlement Center
- J.D., cum laude, University of Illinois College of Law: • Taught courses in negotiation skills and written and oral communications to Masters Business Administration students • Winner of the law school’s Client Counseling Competition • Received award for excellent legal writing ability • Member of the Moot Court Bench
Office location for Marc J. Siegel
150 North Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60606
- Super Lawyers: 2009 - 2023