Mary Patricia Benz
Top Rated Alternative Dispute Resolution Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Free Consultation
I have been engaged in a complex litigation practice in the Chicago area for more than 40 years. My practice is currently concentrated in attorney discipline defense (Illinois ARDC), ethics counseling, mediation, and arbitration. I also represent parties in commercial litigation and appeals, including insurance coverage litigation for insureds.
Certificates and Credentials
About Mary Patricia Benz
First Admitted: 1978, Illinois
Professional Webpage: http://www.marypatbenz
Pro bono/Community Service
- She is a volunteer mediator in Cook County, Illinois and a frequest speaker on ADR and Professional Ethics.
- Ms. Benz is active in several bar associations, including the association of Attorney mediators (Illinois Chapter), Appellate Lawyers Association, and the Chicago Bar Association. She served on the Executive Committee of the Chicago Bar Association’s Judicial Evaluation Committee for several years, and was a Board Member of the Association of Attorney-Mediators, Illinois Chapter. She also serves as a volunteer mediator in Will County, Illinois.
- AAA Arbitrator and Mediator (Commercial and Consumer panels), National Association of Distinguished Neutrals, Court-certified mediator in Cook County, IL
- The Mediation Option for Attorney Discipline Cases, by Mary Patricia Benz, Illinois Bar Journal, Vol. 98 #5 May 2010. The article suggests that mediation might offer an efficient alternative means of resolving some attorney discipline cases that do not involve serious allegations of misconduct. This article was cited by the Fifth District Appellate Court in Trimble v. Graves, No. 5-10-D075.
- Overview of the Briefing Process in the Seventh Circuit and Illinois Appellate Court, by Mary Patricia Benz and Honorable Raymond W. Mitchell. CBA Record, May 2010. This article highlights differences in state and federal appellate practice for those who practice only occasionally in state or federal courts of review.
- Motions After Judgment for Illinois and Federal Jury Trial Practice, by Judge Raymond W. Mitchell and Mary Patricia Benz, CBA Record, October 30, 2009.This article is intended to guide the occasional appellate lawyer through the many "traps for the unwary" that exist in post-judgment and appellate practice.
- “What’s New in Ethics for Illinois Lawyers in Solo or Small Firm Practice, CLEforME .com Course, June 7, 2011.
- "Sources of Ethical Guidance for Mediators", Speaker, DePaul Center for Dispute Resolution Mediation course, March 4, 2011.
- "Ethics in Solo Practice: Trust Accounts and Retainers," Speaker, Kane County Bar Association, January 27, 2011
- "Representing Clients in Mediation- Ethical Challenges and More," Speaker, Winston & Strawn LLP, December 9, 2010; similar presentation at Barnes & Thornburg, December 16, 2010, at Holland & Knight, May 19, 2011.
- "Ethical Dilemmas for Mediators," Speaker, Association for Conflict Resolution, Chicago Chapter, November 17, 2010.
- "Taking Depositions," Teacher, Winston Strawn LLP "Winstitute", November 5-6, 2010, April 15-16, 2011.
- "Ethics in Large Firm Practice," Speaker, ARDC Board Seminar, October 21, 2010.
- "Ethics for Mediators," Speaker, De Paul University School of Law, June 29, 2010, May 4, 2011.
- "Keeping it Confidential: Duties to your Client and the Court," Speaker, Law Bulletin Seminars, June 23, 2010.
- "Mediation as Part of Attorney Discipline," Speaker, ARDC Hearing Board Meeting, May 2009.
- "Post-trial Motions," Speaker, Winston & Strawn Associate Training for Litigation, Spring 2007, 2008, 2009; Summary Judgments," 2004, 2006.
- "How to Take an Effective Deposition," Speaker, Illinois Attorney General's Office, May 2006.
- “ISBA Reviews Liens And Recoverable Costs In Personal-Injury Cases,” By Bridget A. Mitchell and Mary Patricia Benz, Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, January 28, 2013
- Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., 1978 (Magna Cum Laude, Order of the Coif, Legal Assistance Clinic, Legal Writing Instructor, Dean's List (all eligible semesters). University of Illinos, Chicago, 1973, B.A> with Distinction in Psychology. DePaul University School of Law, 2008, Certificate in Mediation. , 1978
- Order of the Coif, Northwestern University School of Law, 1978
- Mary Patricia Benz was recently awarded a certificate from the ARDC and Supreme Court of Illinois "in recognition and appreciation of substantial contribution to the public, the legal profession and the courts, by serving with distinction as a Member of the Attorney Disciplinary System."
- Ms. Benz is the recipient of the Chicago Bar Association, William J. White Award (2004) for service to the Judicial Evaluation Committee for multi-year contribution of time and expertise, and for the vigor and integrity for managing a particularly challenging year as Chair of the Investigation Division.
- AAA Commercial And Consumer Arbitration And Mediation Panela
- Association Of Attorney-Mediators
- Illinois Appellate Lawyers
Last Updated: 5/15/2022