As a family law attorney with Griffin McCarthy & Rice LLC, Nanette A. McCarthy represents clients in the Chicagoland area. A Fellow of the prestigious American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers and a Fellow of Collaborative Divorce Illinois, she has almost three decades of experience in cases with hard to resolve parenting and custody matters, complex asset division, domestic violence, paternity and pre- and post-nuptial agreements. The training she received from the Harvard Law School Program on Negotiation has shaped how she views family law matters, and she works hard to help her clients resolve matters outside of court. However, in situations in which that is not possible, Ms. McCarthy has years of experience helping her clients successfully navigate the court system.
Ms. McCarthy studied law at DePaul University College of Law in Chicago, where she earned her Juris Doctor. Prior to that, Ms. McCarthy graduated with a Bachelor of Science in business administration from Lawrence Technological University.
From 2010-2019, Ms. McCarthy served as a faculty member National Family Law Trial Institute. She has also served as president of the Illinois Chapter of the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts. Ms. McCarthy currently serves a Board Chair of the Lilac Tree, a non-for-profit center for divorce resources. A member of International Academy of Collaborative Practitioners, American Bar Association, and Chicago Bar Association, Ms. McCarthy actively keeps abreast of the best practices and developments in family law.
With her undergraduate training in finance, she is uniquely qualified to handle family law matters that involve high net worth accounting and finances. Ms. McCarthy has been appointed as guardian ad litem in visitation and custody proceedings by the Cook County Court, as well as a child’s representative. Her experience includes work with international removal, mental health issues and special needs children.
Practice areasFamily Law
Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Marital Property, Mediation & Collaborative Law, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Same Sex Family Law
- 100% Family Law
First Admitted: 1995, Illinois
Professional Webpage: https://www.gmrfamilylaw.com/nanette
- Faculty member, National Family Law Trial Institute at the South Texas College of Law, 2010-2019
- Lawrence Technological University, B.S.B.A. (1992)
- President of the Illinois chapter of the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC) from 2013-2014
- Illinois (1995)
- Member of the Chicago Bar Association Committee for Matrimonial Law
- Illinois chapter of the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC), President
- Chicago Bar Association Committee for Matrimonial Law
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals, Member
- Cook County Child's Representative
- Member, Appellate Lawyers Association
- Member, Illinois State Bar Association
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, 2005
- Fellow, Collaborative Divorce Illinois
- Illinois Super Lawyer, Family Law, 2009-2017
- Certificate from Program on Negotiation at Harvard Law School, 2011
Office location for Nanette A. McCarthy
161 N Clark St
Chicago, IL 60601
- Super Lawyers: 2009 - 2024