Nanette A. McCarthy
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Chicago, IL
As a family law attorney with Griffin McCarthy & Rice LLC, Nanette A. McCarthy represents clients in Chicago, Illinois. A Fellow of the Collaborative Law Institute of Illinois and the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, she has almost three decades of experience in the following legal matters: child custody, divorce, domestic violence, paternity and adoption. The training she received from the Harvard Law School Program on Negotiation has shaped how she views family law matters, and she is an asset to her clients in alternative dispute resolution settings.
In 1992, Ms. McCarthy graduated with a Bachelor of Science in business administration from Lawrence Technological University. She then moved on to study law at DePaul University College of Law in Chicago, where she earned a Juris Doctor in 1995 and is now admitted to practice in the state of Illinois.
From 2010-2019, Ms. McCarthy served as a faculty member at the South Texas College of Law’s Houston Family Law Trial Institute, and she spent one year as the president of the Illinois Chapter of the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts. A member of The Chicago Bar, she is actively involved with the Adoption Law Committee and the Matrimonial Law Committee.
With her undergraduate training in finance, she is uniquely qualified to handle family law matters that involve high net worth accounting and finances. Ms. McCarthy was appointed as guardian ad litem in visitation and custody proceedings by the Cook County Court, as well as a child’s representative. Her experience includes work with international removal, mental health issues and special needs children.
- 100%Family Law
Adoption, Custody & Visitation, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Paternity
- Super Lawyers: 2009 - 2022
Certificates and Credentials
About Nanette A. McCarthy
First Admitted: 1995, Illinois
Professional Webpage: https://www.gmrfamilylaw.com/nanette-a-mccarthy
- Faculty member, Houston Family Law Trial Institute at the South Texas College of Law, 2010-2019
- Lawrence Technological University, B.S.B.A. (1992)
- President of the Illinois chapter of the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC) from 2013-2014
- Illinois (1995)
- Member of the Chicago Bar Association Committee for Matrimonial Law and Adoption Law
- Illinois chapter of the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC), President
- Chicago Bar Association Committee for Matrimonial Law and Adoption Law, Member
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals, Member
- Cook County Child's Representative
- Member, Appellate Lawyers Association
- Member, Illinois State Bar Association
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, 2005
- Fellow, Collaborative Law Institute of Illinois
- Illinois Super Lawyer, Family Law, 2009-2017
- Certificate from Program on Negotiation at Harvard Law School, 2011
Last Updated: 5/15/2022