Peter A. Cantwell
Top rated securities litigation attorney in Chicago, IllinoisCantwell & Cantwell
Practice Areas: Securities litigation, Business litigation, Family law; view more
Licensed in Illinois since: 1974
Education: Washington University in St. Louis School of Law
Cantwell & Cantwell30 N. LaSalle Street
Chicago, IL 60602 Visit website
Handling family law, commercial law, business, securities and real estate cases, Peter A. Cantwell is the managing partner at Cantwell & Cantwell. He represents clients in Chicago, Illinois, providing them with advice through matters such as divorce and advocating for them in litigation.
In 1971, Mr. Cantwell earned a Bachelor of Arts from Washington University in St. Louis, going on to receive a Juris Doctor from the Washington University School of Law in 1974.
Regarded as a client-centered attorney, Mr. Cantwell caters his approach to each case based on the unique circumstances involved. He has gone to arbitration and to court to ensure the case is resolved fairly. Licensed in Illinois since 1974, Mr. Cantwell is admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of the United States, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois and the U.S. Tax Court.
For his accomplishments, Mr. Cantwell holds the highest peer rating possible of AV Preeminent* from Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. Cantwell is a member of the American Bar Association’s Family Law, Business Law, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice, and Real Property, Trust and Estate Law sections; The Chicago Bar Association; and the Illinois State Bar Association’s Commercial Banking, Collections and Bankruptcy, Family Law, and Business and Securities Law sections.
Having prosecuted and defended securities issues, Mr. Cantwell is well-versed in the regulations that govern these cases. He has advised investors, brokerage firms and small businesses on compliance and the steps to take when facing litigation.
* AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasSecurities litigation, Business litigation, Family law, Civil litigation: defense, Estate & trust litigation, Personal injury - general: plaintiff
Personal injury - plaintiff
- 40% Securities litigation
- 40% Business litigation
- 20% Family law
- 0% Civil litigation: defense
- 0% Estate & trust litigation
- 0% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
First Admitted: 1974, Illinois
Professional Webpage: https://cc-legal.com/Attorneys.html
- AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5
- Member, Chicago, Illinois State Bar Association, Commercial Law Section
- Member, Chicago, Illinois State Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Member, American Bar Association, Family Law Section
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 1985
- U.S. Tax Court, 1977
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1988
- Member, Chicago, Illinois State Bar Association, Bankruptcy Section
- Member, American Bar Association, Corporation and Securities Law Section
- Member, American Bar Association, Real Estate Law Section
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1974
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1987
- Member, Chicago, Illinois State Bar Association, Banking Law Section
- Member, Chicago, Illinois State Bar Association, Securities Law Section
- Member, American Bar Association, Tort Law Section
- Illinois, 1974
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1985
- Washington University, A.B., 1971
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar & Chicago Bar Associations
Office location for Peter A. Cantwell
30 N. LaSalle Street
Chicago, IL 60602
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2011, 2017 - 2023