Susan L. Novosad
Top rated personal injury attorney in Chicago, IllinoisLevin & Perconti
Practice Areas: Personal injury, Medical malpractice
Licensed in Illinois since: 1986
Education: The John Marshall Law School
Levin & Perconti325 North Lasalle Street
Chicago, IL 60654 Visit website
Attorney Susan L. Novosad is a partner with Levin & Perconti law firm in Chicago, Illinois. Nationally recognized as one of the leading trial advocates in the country, Ms. Novosad provides exceptional representation and support to clients throughout the greater Chicago metro area and beyond who have complex and pressing legal challenges involving any of the following:
· Personal injury and wrongful death
· Medical malpractice and nursing home abuse
· Product liability
· Premises liability and slip-and-fall accidents
· Motor vehicle accidents
· Birth and brain injuries
· Construction accidents
· Jones Act and maritime law claims
· Federal Tort Claims Acts cases
Over the course of her more than 33 years in practice, Ms. Novosad has recovered tens of millions of dollars in total compensation for her plaintiff clients. Among some of her most notable successes include a jury verdict of more than $6.7 million for a birth injury case as well as a $4.1 million verdict for an elderly woman injured as the result of a medication error.
She has also secured many other verdicts and settlements well in excess of a million dollars, including a jury verdict of more than $2.4 million against the City of Chicago, and she has gained a reputation as a tireless advocate who aggressively pursues the most favorable outcomes for her clients both inside and outside the courtroom.
Honored for her exemplary professionalism, high ethical standards and outstanding legal abilities, Ms. Novosad holds an AV-Preeminent peer review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell as well as a listing in the Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers. She also received the Top Women Lawyers in Leadership Award from the Women's Bar Association of Illinois in 2015 along with consistent designation as a Leading Lawyer each year between 2012 and 2017.
In addition, Chicago Magazine included her in its list of Illinois: Top 100 as well as its Illinois: Top 50 list. She has also received Superb, 10 out of 10 client ratings on Avvo along with numerous testimonials and referrals from her satisfied clients.
A 1978 graduate of the University of Illinois, Ms. Novosad obtained her Juris Doctor cum laude from The John Marshall Law School in 1986. She is admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois as well as the U.S. Supreme Court, and she is an active member of the Women's Bar Association of Illinois, the American Association for Justice, the Nursing Home Litigation Group and the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, among her other professional affiliations.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasPersonal injury - general: plaintiff, Personal injury - medical malpractice: plaintiff
- 50% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
- 50% Personal injury - medical malpractice: plaintiff
First Admitted: 1986, Illinois
Professional Webpage: https://www.levinperconti.com/susan-l-novosad.html
- Trial Lawyer Excellence Award, Jury Verdict Reporter Awards Ceremony, 2019
- WBAI's Top Women Lawyers in Leadership, 2015
- Chicago's Notable Women Lawyers, Crain's Custom Media, 2018
- Illinois Super Lawyers 2005, 2012 - 2020, Illinois Top 100, Illinois Top 50 Women 2013-2020
- Chicago Lawyer Magazine's Illinois Top 100 Attorneys 2013
- "AV" Rating Martindale-Hubbell 2011-2017
- Martindale-Hubbell® Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers 2012, 2013, 2014
- Leading Lawyers Magazine's Top 10 Women in Personal Injury 2015
- Chicago Lawyer Magazine's Illinois Top 50 Women Attorneys 2013
- Illinois Leading Lawyer 2012 - 2017
- Supreme Court of the United States, 1986
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Nursing Home Litigation Group, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
- John Marshall Law School’s Alumni Mentoring program
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1986
- Illinois, 1986
- Member of the Mentoring Committee- Women's Bar Association
- Women's Bar Association of Illinois
- Susan Novosad served as judge for the John Marshall Law School’s Dean Fred F. Herzog Moot Court Competition at the Dirksen Federal Building
- $2.4 million verdict for a 27-year-old man who suffered serious injuries when a Chicago City worker struck him and three others on a Gold Coast sidewalk in May 2011.
- $6.71 million verdict against a hospital because an inexperienced resident performed a vaginal delivery of a breech presentation (bottom first) resulting in shoulder dystocia and a crippling brachial plexus arm injury.
- $1,050,000.00 motor vehicle settlement for passenger sustaining tibia plateau fracture after being struck by vehicle failing to yield right of way.
- $1.2 million premises liability settlement for a handy man who was seriously injured while working for the defendant. The defendant was aware of the unsafe conditions on her property but failed to remedy the conditions or warn or prohibit the plaintiff from accessing the area.
- $4,111,477.66 verdict on behalf of 85-year-old client under the Nursing Home Care Act, 2017
- $900,000 medical malpractice settlement for the wrongful death of our 37-year-old client who died following a hysterectomy. She lost her airway when the anesthesiologists attempted to extubate her at the conclusion of her hysterectomy surgery and required a tracheotomy to breathe. Several weeks later she developed an infection and died.
- $500,000 nursing home fall/wrongful death settlement
- $700,000 nursing home settlement for subdural hematoma from fall, causing death.
- $1,490,000 medical malpractice settlement.
- $1.5 million settlement for an 87-year-old nursing home resident who suffered severe burns when seated in a steaming-hot sitz bath.
- $700,000.00 nursing home fall settlement. , 2017
- $400,000 nursing home settlement for subarachnoid hemorrhage from fall, causing death.
- $575,000 nursing home pressure sore/wrongful death settlement
- $500,000 nursing home pressure sore settlement
- $1,000,000 medical malpractice settlement for the family of a young child who died as a result of pneumonia and respiratory distress. The suit alleged that the defendants did not properly screen the child for Sickle Cell anemia and failed to diagnose or treat him for the disease. As a result of these failures, he was inadequately protected from pneumonia and died after developing a lung infection
- $700,000 nursing home settlement for improper placement of a gastrostomy tube, causing peritonitis and contributing to death.
- $750,000.00 nursing home case with fracture of the tibia tubercle and resulting leg wound from immobilizer.
- $1 million record Lake County settlement for an 83-year-old nursing home resident who fell several times while a resident at the nursing home, with the last fall contributing to her death. Despite her risk for falls, the nursing home neglected to implement changes in her care plan to prevent further falls from occurring.
- $3.5 million settlement for the family of a newborn boy who died as a result of medical malpractice during birth. In the face of fetal distress, the attending physician continued to attempt to deliver the child vaginally and failed to perform a timely c-section.
- $500,000 motorcycle accident injury settlement
- B.C. v. HRC Manorcare at Libertyville: $650,000 settlement for a 64-year-old McHenry County woman who developed infected pressure sores and a bone infection that required prolonged long term care stay and surgery
- L.M. for A.J.v. Mercy Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center $690,000 nursing home settlement on behalf of the family of a 87-year-old resident who suffered a right femur fracture, skin breakdown and a bone infection which led to her death.
- L.M. for A.J. v. Mercy Health Care Rehabilitation Center: $690,000 nursing home settlement on behalf of the family of a 87-year-old resident who suffered a right femur fracture, skin breakdown and a bone infection which led to her death.
- M.P. as administrator of the estate of E.J. v. Brentwood North Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, et al.: $1.5 million settlement for an 87-year-old nursing home resident who suffered severe burns when seated in a steaming-hot sitz bath.
- C.M., administrator of the estate of H.M. v. Winchester House: $1 million record Lake County settlement for an 83-year-old nursing home resident who fell several times while a resident at the nursing home, with the last fall contributing to her death. Despite her risk for falls, the nursing home neglected to implement changes in her care plan to prevent further falls from occurring.
- R.T. for R.K v. Jiffy Lube International: $850,000 settlement for the family of an Edison Park man who died from injuries he sustained in a fall at a Chicago Jiffy Lube.
- B.A., University of Illinois, 1978
- Presented to fellow attorneys in Springfield, IL at the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education Nursing Home Negligence Conference. Discussed physical and sexual abuse cases in nursing homes from a plaintiff's attorney's perspective., Lecturer, Prosecuting and Defending Physical and Sexual Abuse, IICLE Nursing Home Negligence Conference, 2007
- Discussed nursing home abuse and neglect litigation on the Un-Common Law radio show., Guest, UN-COMMON LAW Radio Show, WCPT 820 AM, 2007
- Oasis Senior Center, Northbrook Court. Spoke to a group of over 75 senior men on the topic of nursing home abuse and neglect. Discussed the severity of the problem in Chicago's nursing homes, the signs and symptoms of abuse and neglect, and advocacy for loved ones living in nursing homes. , "What You Should Know About Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect", 2010
- Spoke with a group of Jewish seniors- some of whom live in long-term care facilities- on what they can do to prevent their loved ones and themselves from falling victim to nursing home abuse and neglect. This included self-advocacy techniques, a briefing on the laws that protect residents and what to do if you suspect abuse or neglect., "Advocating for Yourself and Your Loved Ones in Long-Term Care Facilities." , Jewish Community Center Chicago- Shalom Over 50 meeting, 2010
- Susan was featured in the Chicago Lawyer Magazine's annual Women In Law publication. In this interview, she discussed her role as a female personal injury attorney and offered advice to women interested in this practice area., Key to One's Success, Chicago Lawyer Magazine, 2010
- "Party Depositions"Everything You Need to Know About Motor Vehicle Accident Cases Seminar. Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2012
- "Preparing for Trial," The John Marshall Law School Center for Advocacy and Dispute Resolution., 2012
- Interviewing: Advice and Tips from the Pros Panel, Panelist, Hosted By The Women’s Groups At DePaul Law, Kent Law, John Marshall Law And Loyola Law, 2013
- Obtained $1 million nursing home negligence settlement for our client. This settlement was the largest settlement ever recovered against a Lake County, Illinois nursing home, 2008
- Women's Bar Association Of Illinois
Office location for Susan L. Novosad
325 North Lasalle Street
Chicago, IL 60654
- Super Lawyers: 2005, 2012 - 2023
Top ListsTop 50: Women Illinois Super Lawyers: 2013 - 2018
Additional sources of information about Susan L. Novosad
Find me online
- Levin & Perconti was featured on the front page of the @CDLB after obtaining a $40 million verdict last Thursday.… https://t.co/ct39Gb7Tks
- Levin & Perconti trial team consisting of managing partner Mike Bonamarte, partners Seth Cardeli and Cari Silverman… https://t.co/YkyEB0FW5k
- Founder Steve Levin discusses the disturbing reality of nursing home abuse and what to do if you suspect it. https://t.co/uNWuTbtZFz
These comments were made by fellow attorneys during the annual nomination process.
“Susan Novosad is an experienced litigator and a “tough as nails” negotiator. I’ve been extremely fortunate as a young lawyer to have had Susan as a mentor. She has taught me a great deal about how to prosecute a case from beginning to end. She brings professionalism and a personal touch to each of her cases and clients”