Derek Y. Brandt
Top rated class action & mass torts attorney in Edwardsville, IllinoisMcCune Wright Arevalo, LLP
Practice Areas: Class action & mass torts, Antitrust litigation, Business litigation; view more
Licensed in Illinois since: 1995
Education: Indiana University Maurer School of Law
McCune Wright Arevalo, LLP231 N Main St
Edwardsville, IL 62025 Visit website
Derek Y. Brandt is a partner at McCune Wright Arevalo, LLP, in Edwardsville, Illinois.
He serves clients nationwide in antitrust litigation matters, class actions, commercial litigation, and consumer protection matters. With over 25 years of experience practicing law, Mr. Brandt has represented clients large and small from Fortune 100 companies to smaller companies, and privately held businesses, investors, municipalities, and individual consumers and investors.
Mr. Brandt has been consistently named to the Best Lawyers in America list since 2019. Actively involved in the legal community, Mr. Brandt is a member of the Illinois State Bar Association, the American Bar Association, the American Association for Justice and the Federal Bar Association.
Mr. Brandt is admitted to practice before the United States District Court for the Central, Northern, Southern and Eastern District of Illinois, the United States Court of Appeals for the 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 7th, 9th, and 11th Circuits, the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, and the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri.
Mr. Brandt holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from DePauw University and earned his Juris Doctor degree from Indiana University Maurer School of Law, where he graduated with dean’s list honors.
Practice areasClass action/mass torts: plaintiff, Antitrust litigation, Business litigation
Class actions, Antitrust & trade litigation
- 40% Class action/mass torts: plaintiff
- 40% Antitrust litigation
- 20% Business litigation
First Admitted: 1995, Illinois
Professional Webpage: https://www.mccunewright.com/attorneys/derek-y-brandt/
- Mr. Brandt serves as lead litigation counsel for several major industrial purchasers of aluminum pursuing opt-out claims in In re Aluminum Warehousing Antitrust Litigation (MDL No. 2481, S.D.N.Y., CA2). Mr. Brandt has represented putative classes of Illinois vehicle owners challenging the legal basis for the City of Chicago's half-billion-dollar red light camera program. One of those actions was argued to a rare non-precedential no-decision by the Illinois Supreme Court in 2014. Mr. Brandt has acted as lead outside counsel for the Village of Roxana, Illinois, in certain environmental litigations pertaining to pollution and underground contamination emanating from the Wood River Oil Refinery, the third-largest such refinery in the United States. He also acted for a class of private property owners relating to the same contamination. The Roxana litigation was chronicled on American Public Media's series Burn: An Energy Journal, which aired on NPR affiliate stations around the country in 2012. It reached successful conclusion in 2017. Mr. Brandt was appointed co-lead interim class counsel for the plaintiffs in the multi-district litigation entitled In re AIG Workers Compensation Insurance Policyholder Litigation (MDL No. 2519, N.D. Ill.). That action involved claims brought by businesses from states around the country alleging that they paid fraudulently inflated state insurance surcharges. Mr. Brandt has also represented other businesses and individuals in assorted contract, fraud, and consumer-oriented litigations. He currently represents employees of several franchise restaurant chains asserting antitrust claims based on "no poach" hiring restrictions orchestrated by the restaurant franchisors.
- DePauw University, Greencastle, IN, B.A., 1992
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law, J.D., 1995
- Secured $32 million settlement and negotiated business arrangement for Synergetics USA, Inc., an O'Fallon, Missouri-based medical device manufacturer, in antitrust action brought against competitor in market for ophthalmological surgical devices., 2010
- U.S. District Court Eastern District Missouri, 2015
- U.S. District Court Eastern District Michigan, 2018
- American Bar Association, Antitrust Section, Section on Litigation, 2001 - Present
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 2019
- Supreme Court of Illinois, 1995
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 2013
- US Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 2016
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Illinois, 2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2010
- American Association for Justice, 2004 - Present
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 2001
- Author, Regular column in Chicago Lawyer magazine entitled "Complex Litigation Corner." (2012-15), 2015
- Law Journal: Managing Editor, Federal Communications Law Journal, Indiana University School of Law, 1994 - 1995
- Best Lawyers in America, 2019
- , Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers in America, 2022
- Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers in America, 2021
- Best Lawyers in America, 2020
Office location for Derek Y. Brandt
231 N Main St
Edwardsville, IL 62025
- Super Lawyers: 2012 - 2023