Michael J. Drabant
Top Rated Estate Planning & Probate Attorney in La Grange, IL
An associate at Wilson & Wilson, Michael J. Drabant has developed an excellent reputation as an elder law attorney in his relatively brief career. Providing representation to clients throughout the greater Chicago metropolitan area, he prepares and reviews estate planning documents, including trusts, wills, powers of attorney and health care directives, with a goal toward preserving and protecting his clients' assets. Mr. Drabant also handles trust and estate administration, probate disputes, Medicaid planning, veterans’ benefits, guardianships and special needs planning. He is admitted to practice in Illinois and before the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
As an undergraduate, Mr. Drabant attended the University of Maryland, College Park, and received a Bachelor of Arts in criminology and criminal justice in 2005. Moving to Chicago, he pursued his legal studies at the John Marshall Law School and was awarded his Juris Doctor with honors in 2009. Mr. Drabant also holds a master of laws in taxation with honors from the same institution.
Mr. Drabant began his legal career at a Chicago-area firm, where he began to develop experience in his practice areas. After leaving that firm, he spent three years as a sole practitioner before joining Wilson & Wilson in July 2016. Highly regarded by his fellow professionals, he has received a 10.0 "Superb" peer-review rating through Avvo.
Mr. Drabant is frequently asked to deliver presentations on estate planning. He has had several articles published and has led several seminars, including some covering the issue of pet trusts. A member of the Illinois State Bar Association, Mr. Drabant also is an active participant in many other legal organizations, including the DuPage County Bar Association.
About Michael J. Drabant
First Admitted: 2009, Illinois
Professional Webpage: https://www.lagrangelaw.com/mike-drabant.html
- University of Maryland, B.A. in criminology and criminal justice, 2005
- The John Marshall Law School, LL.M. (Taxation), 2009
- Named as one of Illinois’ Rising Stars by Super Lawyers Magazine, 2015 and 2016
- “Ethics Corner: Estate Planning Attorneys Should Not Ignore Their Own Mortality,” – Trusts and Estates Section Council Newsletter, Illinois State Bar Association, September 2015
- “Ethics Corner: A Word of Caution When Accepting Credit Card Payments,” - Trusts and Estates Section Council Newsletter, Illinois State Bar Association, July, 2014
- “Understanding the Ethical Implications of Fee Sharing,” – DCBA Brief, April, 2014
- “Having A Will Can Save Arguments For Generations,” – Naperville Sun, May, 2010
- "Your Money Matters: Estate Planning for Pets and Their People" - WGN News, WSHS Pet Trust Seminar 2016
- Vice-Chair, Law Day Committee, DuPage County Bar Association, 2011-2012
- United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2010
- Chair, Law Day Committee, DuPage County Bar Association, 2012-2013
- State of Illinois, 2009
- Diversity Chair, DuPage County Bar Association, 2013-2014
- DuPage County Bar Association, Member, 2009-Present
- Vice-Chair, Diversity Committee, DuPage County Bar Association, 2012-2013
- Ethics Chair, Trusts and Estates Section Council, Illinois State Bar Association. 2014-2016
- NEW BLOG POST: Owning Property in Two or More States can Complicate Estate Planning https://t.co/GpUESpnZtM
- NEW BLOG POST: Communication Can Be The Key To Creating Harmony In Multi-Generational Estate Planning (Part 1) https://t.co/dKj2Dr0mDG
- NEW BLOG POST: Make Estate Planning a Point of Focus in 2022 (Part 2) https://t.co/mhmX79lqTr
- NEW BLOG POST: Make Estate Planning a Point of Focus in 2022 (Part 1) https://t.co/pLNRfBRxHX
- NEW BLOG POST: Can My Family Inherit My Season Tickets? https://t.co/p3yUdiLzfW
Last Updated: 5/15/2022