John Joseph Malm
Top rated personal injury attorney in Naperville, IllinoisJohn J. Malm & Associates, P.C.
John J. Malm is the founder of John J. Malm & Associates, P.C., with offices in Naperville and Chicago, Illinois. Focusing his practice on civil litigation, he represents plaintiffs throughout Cook, Kane, DuPage and Will counties in wrongful death and personal injury matters, including insurance coverage, medical malpractice, nursing home neglect and abuse, birth injuries and product liability. During his career, Mr. Malm has obtained numerous large settlements on behalf of his clients, including a $3 million policy limits settlement on behalf of the owners and tenants of a plant that was destroyed by fire and a significant confidential settlement with Ford Motor Company in a product liability matter on behalf of a client who was injured in a van rollover.
After earning his B.A. in business administration from Augustana College in 1988, Mr. Malm attended Valparaiso University Law School and was awarded his J. D. cum laude in 1993. While in law school, he was an editor on the Valparaiso University Law Review and a member of the executive board of the Moot Court Society. Prior to founding John J. Malm & Associates, P.C., in 2001, Mr. Malm was a partner at an area law firm. Admitted to practice in Illinois, he is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
An active participant in several professional organizations, Mr. Malm is a member of the Illinois State Bar Association, the DuPage County Bar Association, the Kane County Bar Association, the Will County Bar Association and the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association. As a member of the Trial Bar of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, he accepts pro bono cases as assigned. Active in his community, Mr. Malm is a volunteer coach in youth sports leagues.
Practice areasPersonal injury - general: plaintiff, Personal injury - products: plaintiff, Personal injury - medical malpractice: plaintiff
- 50% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
- 40% Personal injury - products: plaintiff
- 10% Personal injury - medical malpractice: plaintiff
First Admitted: 1993
Professional Webpage: http://malmlegal.com/lawyer-attorney-1629274.html
- John discusses having his own law firm and serving his clients in their personal injury cases., John J. Malm & Associates, a personal injury law firm, Personal Injury
- Requesting and Reviewing Medical Records and BIlls for Injury Litigation, Paralegal Studies, College of DuPage, 2014 & 2015.
- Articles Editor, Valparaiso University Law Review
- Member, Hon. Phillip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Team
- Member, Valparaiso University Moot Court Society
- Justice, Valparaiso University Moot Court Executive Board
- Cum Laude, Valparaiso University School of Law, Valparaiso, Indiana, 1993
- DeKalb County
- Kendall County
- Will County
- Cook County
- Kane County
- DuPage County
- In Re the Estate of Ann L. Cuneo, 334 Ill.App.3d 594, 780 N.E.2d 325 (2nd Dist. 2002)
- Nicholson v. State Farm Insurance. The Illinois Supreme Court has denied an appeal by State Farm Insurance, thus, allowing to stand the decision of the Illinois Appellate Court in Nicholson v. State Farm Insurance, No. 2-08-0639 (2nd Dist. 2010) construing the obligations of an insurance carrier to provide underinsured motorist coverage pursuant to section 143a--2 of the Illinois Insurance Code (Code) (215 ILCS 5/143a--2 (West 1998). Under the decision, "whenever liability coverage is increased above that provided under the previous policy, insurers must again offer UM coverage equal to liability coverage and obtain a signed election declining such equal coverage." Attorney John J. Malm proudly served as trial and appellate counsel to the family of a woman who was killed when the vehicle in which she was a passenger crossed the center line. Evidence obtained by Mr. Malm included an admission by State Farm that its underwriting file had been discarded, and that the written election of coverage form was not obtained by the State Farm at the time the coverage changes were issued in the subsequent policy. The decision represents an expansion of consumer rights for purchasers of automobile insurance in Illinois.
- DuPage County, Illinois. A confidential product liability settlement with the Ford Motor Company was reached by product liability lawyer, John Malm, on behalf of a Hinsdale woman and her children who suffered injuries in a van rollover incident on I-88 in Naperville, Illinois. The lawsuit alleged that the extended van (“E-series”) was defective., 2013
- Kane County, Illinois. A confidential product liability settlement was reached by construction injury lawyer, John Malm, on behalf of a 26 year old electrician who suffered serious injuries after falling 30 feet when a scissor lift he was operating at the Fisher Peanut facility in Elgin, Illinois suddenly collapsed. The man suffered two broken wrists and a collapsed lung, as well as knee, shoulder and head injuries in the incident. An investigation revealed that a metal pin, designed to hold the lift in place when extended, suddenly failed, causing the lift to collapse. A safety bulletin issued by the lift manufacturer a few months earlier had warned that a sudden pin failure could occur. The lawsuit filed by attorney Malm sought damages from the lift manufacturer, the lift owner and the servicer of the lift. , 2013
- DuPage County, Illinois. A confidential settlement was reached by sports injury lawyer, John Malm, on behalf of the family and survivors of a Eric Lederman, a 12-year-old Oswego boy, who tragically died after being struck by a baseball during a warm-up at a PONY league travel baseball game in Wheaton, Illinois. The Oswego Baseball & Softball Association ("OBSA") team was playing its season opener when Eric was struck in the neck by a baseball thrown to him during a pitching warm-up off the field. He was not wearing a catcher's helmet, mask or protective gear. In the settlement, which was reached after a mediation, OBSA has agreed to adopt "The Eric Lederman Rule", a safety rule requiring that at least one coach be dedicated to the supervision of players while warming up off the field., 2013
- $3,000,000. A policy limits settlement totaling $3,000,000 was reached by attorney John J. Malm and others, concluding a lawsuit brought on behalf of the owners and tenants of the River Valley recycling plant in Kankakee, Illinois. On September 2, 2011, a fire erupted on the building’s roof, resulting in a total loss. A roofing contractor working at the site that day had placed its propane burning equipment on the roof when it left early for the holiday weekend. An investigation by the Kankakee Fire Department concluded that the fire started near the roofer’s equipment, which could not be eliminated as the cause of the fire. A witness’ cell phone video of the fire posted to YouTube showed that the flames were initially confined to an area surrounding the roofing equipment, as fire fighters arrived at the scene. The lawsuit filed by attorney Malm alleged that the fire started due to the roofer’s carelessness in failing to safely store its equipment on the roof. , 2013
- Tri-City Family Services
- Batavia Food Pantry
- Batavia Interfaith Clothes Closet
- Heifer International
- American Youth Foundation
- John accepts pro bono assignments as a member of the Trial Bar in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- B.A., Augustana College, Rock Island, Illinois, 1988
- Will County Bar Association
- Kane County Bar Association
- DuPage County Bar Association
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1993
- Illinois, 1993
- Kane County, Illinois. A settlement totaling $245,000 was reached by car accident lawyer, John Malm, for injuries suffered by a 46 year old Montgomery man who was injured in a head on accident on Orchard Road in North Aurora, Illinois. The accident was caused by a drunk driver. A police investigation found that the defendant had a blood alcohol level that was more than four times the legal limit., 2013
Office location for John Joseph Malm
1730 Park St
Naperville, IL 60563
- Super Lawyers: 2014 - 2023