Kathryn L. Ciesla is a founding partner at Ciesla Beeler, LLC, in Northfield, Illinois, and has extensive experience with family law, corporate law and child advocacy matters. With over 25 years of legal experience, she represents clients with legal issues involving child support, legal separation, parenting time, estate planning and administration, licensing, property settlement, business valuations, discovery of assets and so on.
Ms. Ciesla’s clients include parents, children, business executives, entrepreneurs and companies. She is extremely passionate about advocating for and protecting children’s rights. She is frequently chosen by judges to be guardian ad litem for children, and has represented more than 300 children so far before various courts. Ms. Ciesla is a trained and certified mediator and also serves as a court-appointed parenting coordinator.
Ms. Ciesla is a compassionate and empathetic attorney, providing personalized attention to each of her client’s unique cases. She understands the delicate and emotional nature of family law and children advocacy cases, and she fights aggressively for her clients’ rights and liberties.
Ms. Ciesla has a Bachelor of Arts degree from The College of Saint Benedict and obtained her Juris Doctor degree from The John Marshall Law School, graduating with dean’s list honors. Ms. Ciesla earned her certificate in divorce mediation skills training from Northwestern University’s School of Continuing Studies. Ms. Ciesla has a certificate from Harvard Law School for being a part of its Program on Negotiation for senior executives.
Honored for her outstanding work in the legal field, Ms. Ciesla holds a “Superb” rating on Avvo and has received numerous testimonials from satisfied clients and endorsements from peers. She has also been a three-time recipient of Avvo’s Clients’ Choice Awards. The American Institute of Family Law Attorneys named her to its Family Law 10 Best list.
Ms. Ciesla is admitted to practice in the state of Illinois, the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, United States Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit, the United States Tax Court and the United States Supreme Court. Actively involved in pro bono events, Ms. Ciesla is a trustee for the village of Northbrook and chair of the administration/finance and ad hoc labor relations committees.
Practice areasFamily law
Alimony & spousal support, Child support, Custody & visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic violence, Paternity, Prenuptial agreements, Marital property, Mediation & collaborative law, Same sex family law
- 100% Family law
First Admitted: 1997, Illinois
Professional Webpage: https://www.cieslabeeler.com/kathryn-l-ciesla
- Village Trustee - Elected (Public Office), The Village of Northbrook (2009-2013, 2013-2017, 2017-2021)
- Board Member, Edward G. Schumacher Memorial Library (1998-2007)
- Presenter, L.I.F.T. Day, Northbrook Junior High School, School District 28 (2012)
- Leadership Northbrook - Participant, Northbrook Chamber of Commerce (2007-2008)
- Northwestern Business College Co-Coordinator, "Santa's Helper Toy/Clothing Drive" benefitting Chicago Public Schools (2004-2006) Co-Coordinator, "Hurricain Katrina Relief Effort" (2005) Member, Paralegal Advisory Board (1998-2007)
- Member, Northbrook Historical Society (2014-present)
- Assistant Softball Coach, Wilmette Park District (2012)
- Pumpkinfest, Meadowbrook Elementary PTO District 28 Co-Chair (2008) Chair (2008) Chair, Silent Auction Committee (2011)
- Family Business Counsel, Loyola University (2004-2007)
- Board Member, Lancelot, Inc. (1998-2001)
- Assistant Coach, Northbrok Girls' Softball Association/Northbrook Park District (2012-2015)
- Northbrook Coordinating Family, Pedal Power (www.pedalpower.com) (2010,2011)
- Family Business Counsel, University of Illinois, Tau Forum (2006-2007) Dean's Committee (2004-2007) Member (2002-2007)
- United States Supreme Court Bar, 2005
- Northern District of Illinois Federal Trial Bar, 2014
- Northern District of Illinois Federal Bar, 1997
- Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, 2009
- Lake County Bar Association (2014-Present)
- State of Illinois Bar, 1997
- United States Tax Court, 2007
- Illinois State Bar Association (1996-Present)
- Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts Program on Negotiation for Senior Executives, 2007
- Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois - School of Continuing Studies, Divorce Mediation Skills Training
- University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, Illinois Leadership Academy, Office of Public Leadership, Institute of Government and Public Affairs, 2011
- The College of Saint Benedict, St. Joseph, Minnesota, Bachelor of Arts Dean's List, Honors Program, Service and Scholarship Award, 1993
- Divorce Mediator - 40 hours, Mediation Training, Northwestern University, School of Continuing Studies, 2012
- Certification to Represent Minor Children, Domestic Relations Division of the Circuit Court of Lake County, Illinois, 2014, 2015
- Certification to Represent Minor Children, Domestic Relations Division of the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois, 2013
- Panelist at The Lilac Tree's Annual Divorce University on May 1, 2016 on the topic of: Tools for Parents Helping Children Cope through divorce from the perspective of an attorney appointed by courts to represent children as a Guardian ad Litem/Child Representative, Presenter, Divorce University, 2016
- Main Panelist (Litigator) at Divorce University. Divorce University™ is a bi-annual conference on the legal, financial and emotional aspects of divorce in Illinois. Participants learn from and interact with a judge, attorneys, mediators, collaborative practitioners, therapists, certified financial analysts, divorce coaches, real estate experts and divorced women, Panelist, Insights from an Attorney, The Lilac Tree, 2018
- Presented to Lake County Bar Association's Family Law Conference (Charleston, SC) on the issue of representing the impaired client., Presenter, Lake County Bar Association Annual Family Law Conference, Lake County Bar Association, 2018
Office location for Kathryn L. Ciesla
2 Northfield Plaza
Northfield, IL 60093
- Super Lawyers: 2017 - 2023