James E. Coogan
Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney in Park Ridge, IL
- Free Consultation
Managing partner at Dwyer & Coogan, P.C., in Chicago, Illinois, James E. Coogan is a personal injury attorney with over 14 years of legal practice experience. Mr. Coogan serves clients in Chicago and throughout Illinois, working with cases involving medical malpractice claims, product failure claims, wrongful death claims, transportation injuries, premises liability claims, construction site injuries and so on.
Mr. Coogan is mindful of the debilitating financial and emotional consequences of catastrophic injuries, and fights aggressively for the rights of his clients. He is empathetic and works hard to restore peace to his clients through personal attention and constant communication.
Mr. Coogan graduated from Boston College and was awarded the Bapst Philosophy Award, an award given to college seniors whose performance in philosophy courses has been phenomenal. He earned his Juris Doctor from the DePaul University College of Law. Mr. Coogan is admitted to practice in the Illinois Supreme Court and the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, admitted to its trial and general bar.
Mr. Coogan is a member of The Chicago Bar, the Illinois State Bar Association, the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, the American Association for Justice, the Workers’ Compensation Lawyers Association and the Northwest Suburban Bar Association. He also volunteers on The Chicago Bar’s Judicial Evaluation Committee.
A recipient of many peer endorsements, Mr. Coogan was selected as Emerging Lawyer by the Leading Lawyers Network and was included in the 40 Lawyers under 40 by the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin. On The Ben Joravsky Show by the Chicago Reader, Mr. Coogan regularly contributes as a legal analyst.
Actively involved in community service, Mr. Coogan is commissioner of the Park Ridge Planning and Zoning commission and an associate board member of the Greater Chicago Food Depository. He has also volunteered in many projects through the Chicago Chapter of the Alumni Association of Boston College.
- 50%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 20%Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
- 20%Workers' Compensation: Claimant
- 10%Civil Litigation: Plaintiff
Animal Bites, Assault, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Wrongful Death, Dram Shop Laws, Construction Accident, Brain Injury, Sexual Abuse - Plaintiff, Trucking Accidents, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Medical Malpractice, Delayed or Incorrect Diagnosis, Informed Consent
- Super Lawyers: 2022
About James E. Coogan
First Admitted: 2006, Illinois
Professional Webpage: https://dwyercoogan.com/james-e-coogan/
- State of Illinois Bar (2006)
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyers’ Association (2016-present)
- Illinois State Bar Association (2006-present)
- Illinois Trial Lawyer Association, 2007
- Northwest Suburban Bar Association, 2020
- American Association for Justice, 2008- Present
- Chicago Bar Association Judicial Evaluation Committee since 2011, 2007
Pro bono/Community Service
- Volunteers on CBA’s Judicial Evaluation Committee; 2011-present
- Chicago Chapter of the Alumni Association of Boston College
- Special Olympics of Chicago
- Park Ridge (IL) Planning & Zoning Commission - Commissioner (2017-Present), 2017
- Greater Chicago Food Depository - Associate Board Member (2015-Present), 2015
- Boston College (2003, Recipient of the Bapst Philosophy Award)
- Illinois Supreme Court - Attorney License (2006-Present), 2006
- United States District Court - Northern District of Illinois - Admitted to Trial Bar 2021., 2021
- United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois - Admitted to General Bar 2006., 2006
- $3,000,000 Verdict - Medical Malpractice Lawsuit against University of Chicago Medical Center. Wrongful Death of a 61-year-old with advanced heart failure. Jury held that UCMC was negligent through their doctor's decision to perform dangerous heart catheter procedure. Procedure led to internal bleeding that led to death., 2019
- Selected as one of the 40 Lawyers under 40 years old to Watch in 2020., 40 Under 40, Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, 2020
- Selected in 2020 and 2021, Emerging Lawyer, Leading Lawyer Network, 2020
Last Updated: 5/18/2022