Frank A. Perrecone
Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney in Rockford, IL
Frank A. Perrecone is a leading trial lawyer who has tried numerous civil jury cases involving serious personal injuries and death in both the state and federal courts. He is widely known for his handling of personal injury cases representing injured victims throughout northern Illinois. As a trial lawyer, he has represented accident victims before juries in Boone, Cook, Ogle, Stephenson and Winnebago Counties, as well as in the United States District Court. He frequently is brought into cases by other lawyers who seek his assistance and expertise in the field of personal injury and wrongful death cases. Mr. Perrecone is recognized for his aggressive approach to handling personal injury cases and his thorough preparation of cases for trial.
Mr. Perrecone has been recognized as a leading attorney in the state. He has maintained the highest rating, AV, in the Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings from 1997 to the present. These ratings, which are generated from evaluations by other members of the bar and judiciary, are considered to be an objective indicator of a lawyer’s high ethical standards and professional ability.
Mr. Perrecone has also been accredited with distinctions within the State of Illinois. He has been selected as a “Super Lawyer” for years 2006, 2007 and 2009 to the present. Super Lawyers are chosen by peers from each practice area and through the independent research of Law & Politics. Only the top five percent of attorneys in Illinois receive this designation.
He has also been designated a “Leading Lawyer” in personal injury law for the years 2003 to present. This distinction is granted to the top attorneys in Illinois and is determined by peers and the Leading Lawyers Advisory Board. In 2016, he was recognized by Leading Lawyers as one of the top 10 consumers lawyers who practice outside the Chicago area. In 2019, Mr. Perrecone was recognized by Leading Lawyers in three top 10 lists of lawyers who practice outside the Chicago area based on surveys of legal peers: RANKED #3 in Top 10 - Downstate PI Plaintiff's; RANKED #4 in Top 10 - Downstate Consumer Lawyers; and RANKED #6 in Top 10 - Downstate Lawyers.
Mr. Perrecone is admitted to the practice of law in all courts of the State of Illinois, the United States District Court for Northern Illinois, the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit and the United States Supreme Court.
He began his practice with Lawrence J. Ferolie in 1981, after his graduation from law school. He has impressed his colleagues with his professional manner. He has been involved in major and complex litigation and was the lead trial lawyer in serious personal injury cases in both the state and federal trial courts and before the appellate and reviewing courts.
Mr. Perrecone has served with distinction as Chairman of the Continuing Legal Education Committee of the Illinois State Bar Association, which produces high quality legal seminars for the association’s 32,000 lawyers. He has served as Chairman of the association’s Civil Practice and Procedure Section Council, Chairman of the Tort Law Section Council, Chairman of the Insurance Law Section Council, and as a member of the Legislation Committee and the Judicial Appointments Committee.
He has also served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education and the Board of Managers of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association.
Mr. Perrecone was the recipient of the prestigious “Board of Governors Award” from the Illinois State Bar Association for his outstanding efforts in establishing and expanding the Law Education Series. These programs provide affordable and high quality continuing legal education for lawyers. Also, he has served as an elected delegate to the association’s Assembly.
He served as the 100th President of the Winnebago County Bar Association for the 2007-2008 term.
From 1998 to 2008, Mr. Perrecone was an Adjunct Professor of Law at the Northern Illinois University College of Law. He taught trial related courses and directed students in national trial team competition. Mr. Perrecone was twice nominated by his students for “Professor of the Year,” and in 1998, he was given an award plaque by his students for outstanding contribution and dedication as a trial advocacy professor.
He has lectured on personal injury and civil trial practice at seminars throughout the state and has written several legal articles.
Mr. Perrecone is a graduate of Northern Illinois University and Drake University Law School. He was an amateur boxer and an outstanding baseball player, receiving All-Conference honors both in high school and college and All-State honors in college. A native of Rockford, Mr. Perrecone is married and active in community affairs.
About Frank A. Perrecone
First Admitted: 1981, Illinois
Professional Webpage: http://ferolieperrecone.com/about/frank-a-perrecone/
- Drake University Law School, Doctor of Jurisprudence with Honors 1980; Northern Illinois University, Bachelor of Arts 1978; Rock Valley College, Associate of Arts 1976; Boylan Central Catholic High School 1974
- Perrecone, The Plaintiff's Perspective, ILL. ST. B. ASS'N IN THE ALTERNATIVE, April 1996, at 2.
- Perrecone & Fabiano, The Federalization of Punitive Damages and the Effect on Illinois Law, 28 N. ILL. U. L. Rev. 537 (2008). This article traces the evolution of the federalization of punitive damage law, criticizes the Supreme Court's intrusion into an area traditionally left to the states, demonstrates how Supreme Court precedent has been misapplied by lower courts, and suggests a methodology for practitioners to withstand a constitutional due process challenge to the size of a punitive damage award.
- Perrecone & Fabiano, The Fleecing of Seriously Injured Medical Malpractice Victims in Illinois, 26 N. ILL. U. L. Rev. 527 (2006). The article examines the major claims made by the insurance and medical lobbies to manipulate public and legislative support for medical malpractice damage caps and shows that they are misleading or simply false. It also demonstrates that non-economic damage awards are not fueling the rapid rise in malpractice insurance rates, caps do not reduce physicians' premiums, and caps unconscionably place the burden of loss on a small number of innocent victims. Illinois' most recent cap legislation is a windfall for the profiteering insurance industry subsidized by seriously injured medical malpractice victims who are left with profound disabilities and shattered lives.
- Perrecone, Seventh Circuit Narrows Application of Illinois Common Fund Doctrine in ERISA Subrogation Claims, ILL. ST. B. ASS'N TORT TRENDS, Oct. 2003, at 4.
- Perrecone, Effective Use of SCR 213(f), ILL. ST. B. ASS'N TORT TRENDS, May 2003 at 1.
- Perrecone, Seventh Circuit Decision Trumps Federal Rule of Civil Procedure, ILL. ST. B. ASS'N TORT TRENDS, June 2000, at 8.
- Perrecone & Nelson, Case Note - Blackburn v. Sundstrand Corporation, 115 F.3d 493 (7th Cir. 1997), ILL. ST. B. ASS'N TORT TRENDS, Nov. 1997 at 1.
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Inductee, Hall of Fame, Greater Rockford Italian American Association, 2019
- Leading Lawyers Magazine, Consumer Edition 2019, published an article about Mr. Perrecone entitled "Rockford Lawyer Takes Pride in Helping Injured and in Italian-American Heritage". http://www.leadinglawyers.com/articles/Perrecone_Frank_Consumer2019.pdf (Last visited August 8, 2019), 2019
- Recipient, Italian-American Man of the Year, Ethnic Heritage Museum, 2013
- Recipient, Dedicated Service Award, American Red Cross, Rock River Chapter, 2007
- In 2019, Leading Lawyers Magazine (Law Bulletin Publishing Company) named Mr. Perrecone to three Top Ten lists based on surveys of legal peers: RANKED #3 IN TOP 10 - Downstate Personal Injury Plaintiff's; RANKED#4 IN TOP 10 - Downstate Consumer Laywers; RANKED #6 IN TOP TEN - Downstate Lawyers., Named to Three Top 10 Lists, Leading Lawyers Magazine, 2019
- 2019, Hall of Fame Inductee GRIAA (Greater Rockford Italian American Association), Hall of Fame Inductee, Greater Rockford Italian American Association, 2019
- In 2019, Martindale-Hubbell American Law Directory, based on surveys of lawyers and judges, honored Mr. Perrecone with the highest rating (AV) for "Legal Ability and Ethical Standards"., Highest rating for "Legal Ability and Ethical Standards", Martindale-Hubbell, 2019
- In 2016, Leading Lawyers Magazine (Law Bulletin Publishing) named Mr. Perrecone to the Top Ten list based on surverys of legal peers: RANKED #5 IN TOP TEN - Downstate Consumer Lawyers, Named to Top Ten List, Leading Lawyers Magazine, 2016
- Recipient, The 17th Judicial Circuit Professionalism & Civility Award for the attorney who best exemplifies the Eight Goals of the Aspirational Code of Conduct, Recipient, The 17th Judicial Circuit Professionalism & Civility Award for the attorney who best exemplifies the Eight Goals of the Aspirational Code of Conduct, 17th Judicial Circuit, 2015
- Recipient, Dedicated Service Award, American Red Cross, Rock River Chapter, 2007, Dedicated Service Award, American Red Cross, Rock River Chapter, 2007
- Nominee, Professor of the Year, Northern Illinois University College of Law, 2002
- Honorary Law Alumnus Award for outstanding contributions as adjunct law professor to the Northern Illinois College of Law, its students and alumni. Presented by Alumni Council., Recipient, Honorary Law Alumnus Award, Northern Illinois University College of Law, 2001
- Nominee, Professor of the Year, Northern Illinois University College of Law, 2001
- Award plaque presented by trial advocacy students for outstanding contribuition and dedication as a trial advocacy professor at Northern Illinois University College of Law., Recipient, Award, Northern Illinois University College of Law, 1998
- Illinois State Bar Association Board of Governors' Award for outstanding efforts in establishing and expanding the Law Ed Series., Recipient, ISBA Board of Governors' Award, ISBA, 1989
- American Jurisprudence Award for excellent achievement in the study of Civil Procedure from Drake University Law School, Recipient, American Jurisprudence Award, Drake University Law School, 1980
- The Peer Review Council, Member, 2010 to present, 2021
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Mediator, 17th Circuit Court Annexed Major Civil Case Mediation Program 1993-present, 2021
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Arbitrator, American Arbitration Association 1986-present, 2021
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Arbitrator, 17th Circuit Court Mandatory Court Annexed Arbitration Program 1988-present, 2021
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Arbitrator, Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Insurance Claims 1993-present, 2021
- Circuit Court for the 17 Circuit, State of Illinois Member, Peer Review Council for the Circuit's Professionalism Pilot Program 2009-present, 2021
- Circuit Court for the 17th Circuit, State of Illinois Mentor - Attorney Mentoring Pilot Program 2009-present, 2020
- Illinois State Bar Association Standing Committee on Legislation, 2004 to present, 2018
- Illinois State Bar Association Assembly Delegate 2010-2016, 2000-2008, 1992-1998, 2016
- Illinois State Bar Association, Insurance Law Section Council Chair, 2011-2012 Member, 2007-2013, 2013
- Illinois State Bar Association, Assembly Budget and Finance Committee Member, 2011, 2011
- United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois Magistrate Judge Mahoney Merit Review Panel Chair 2008, 2008
- Winnebago County Bar Association President, 2007-2008, 2008
- Illinois State Bar Association, Task Force on Unauthorized Practice of Law Member, 2003-2006, 2006
- Illinois State Bar Association, Task Force on CLE Implementation Member 2005-2006, 2006
- Winnebago County Bar Association, Board of Directors Member, 2002-2005, 2005
- Illinois State Bar Association, Tort Section Council Chair, 2002-2003 Member, 1994-2003, 1988-1992, 2003
- Winnebago County Bar Association, Judicial Liaison Committee Chair, 2000-2001, 2001
- Winnebago County Bar Association, Trial Section Chair, 1998-1999, 1999
- Illinois State Bar Association, Standing Committee on Continuing Legal Education Chair, 1995-1996 and 1988-1990 Member, 1988-1996, 1996
- United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois Civil Justice Reform Act Advisory Group Member, 1991-1995, 1995
- Illinois State Bar Association, Civil Practice and Procedure Section Council Chair, 1991-1992 Member, 1987-1992, 1992
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Managers Member 1988-1999, 1990
- Illinois State Bar Association, Standing Committee on Judicial Appointments Member, 1988-1990, 1990
- Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education Board of Directors Member 1988-1989, 1989
- American Association For Justice
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- Justinian Society Of Lawyers
- Winnebago County Bar Association
Last Updated: 5/19/2022