David I. Cates
Top Rated Medical Malpractice Attorney in Swansea, IL
Selected to Rising Stars: 2013 - 2021
- Free Consultation
Attorney David I. Cates is a founding principal at Cates Mahoney, LLC, in Swansea, Illinois. Mr. Cates focuses his practice on personal injury and medical malpractice cases on individual, class action and mass tort levels, serving clients throughout the State of Illinois. He also has experience with matters involving employment law, medical negligence, products liability and workplace accidents.
Over the course of his years in practice, Mr. Cates has recovered millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts for clients. He is committed to advocating for injured Illinois individuals and families against large corporations.
Mr. Cates belongs to several professional organizations, including the East St. Louis Bar Association, the Madison County Bar Association, the St. Clair County Bar Association, the Illinois State Bar Association and the Kentucky Bar Association. His leadership roles include serving on the board of managers of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, as a state delegate for the American Association for Justice and an Illinois state coordinator for Public Justice.
Mr. Cates received a bachelor’s degree from Vanderbilt University and earned his law degree from Loyola University Chicago School of Law. He obtained a license to practice law in 2006 and holds licenses in Illinois and Kentucky. He is also qualified to appear before the U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Illinois.
Following law school, Mr. Cates gained legal experience through working as an assistant state’s attorney in Hamilton and St. Clair counties. He went on to join his mother as a partner at Cates Law Firm before forming Cates Mahoney, LLC, in 2012.
- 50%Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
- 20%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 10%Civil Litigation: Plaintiff
- 10%Class Action/Mass Torts: Plaintiff
- 10%Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff
Medical Malpractice, Birth Injury, Delayed or Incorrect Diagnosis, Informed Consent, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Wrongful Death, Construction Accident, Brain Injury, Sexual Abuse - Plaintiff, Trucking Accidents, Class Actions, Medical Devices, Pharmaceutical
- Super Lawyers: 2022
- Rising Stars: 2013 - 2021
About David I. Cates
First Admitted: 2006, Illinois
Professional Webpage: https://www.catesmahoney.com/about/attorney-david-cates/
- $4.25 Million - Medical Malpractice
- $3.5 Million - Medical Malpractice Verdict - Hospital and nursing staff failed to properly administer pitocin and monitor fetal heart rates leading to a hypoxic brain injury in the child. Verdict was a record for the County at the time it was obtained.
- $6.25 Million - Medical Malpractice
- $15 Million - Medical Malpractice
- $2 Million - Sexual Assault
- $2 million settlement for a woman who was killed in an automobile collision. , 2017
- Record setting $95 million sexual harassment verdict. A woman was sexually assaulted at Aaron Rents, Inc. by her manager. Despite complaints to various managers and corporate representives, her complaints were ultimately ignored and she was fired. At the time of the verdict, it was the largest award in U.S. history for a single plaintiff in a sexual harassment case. , 2011
- Medical Malpractice - Obtained several million dollars for a woman who was misdiagnosed with cancer. , 2018
- National Trial Lawyers’ Top 100 Trial Lawyers, Member, since 2014
- Rising Star, Illinois Super Lawyers
Pro bono/Community Service
- Public Justice Consumer Advocacy Group, State Coordinator for Illinois
- St. Clair County Bar Association
- East St. Louis Bar Association
- Madison County Bar Association
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- American Association of Justice, Board of Governors
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Managers
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- Vanderbilt University
Last Updated: 5/15/2022