James D. Crum
Top Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in Carmel, IN
A criminal defense attorney representing clients in the state of Indiana, James D. Crum is a lawyer at Coots, Henke & Wheeler. Along with criminal defense issues such as felonies, battery, traffic violations, expungement and drug charges, he also represents clients who have been injured in auto accidents or by the negligence of another. For more than 30 years, he has worked in Hamilton County and defended those who have been accused of committing a crime.
Mr. Crum graduated from The Ohio State University in 1983 with a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism. At Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law in 1989, he obtained his Juris Doctor and is currently admitted to practice in Indiana. He can also practice before the United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana and the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana.
A member of the advisory board of the Hamilton County Drug Court, Mr. Crum is actively involved in several other legal organizations. These include the Hamilton County Bar Association, the Indiana State Bar Association, the American Bar Association and the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
Mr. Crum has an extensive understanding of Indiana’s Second Chance law, which allows those who have been convicted of a crime to have a successful future when their records are sealed. In both injuries and crimes, he recognizes the consequences and changes that his clients face and is determined to protect their futures in any way necessary. From negotiation to trial, he is highly- qualified to handle any personal injury or criminal defense case.
- 90%Criminal Defense
- 10%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
Assault & Battery, Criminal Law, Drug & Alcohol Violations, Expungement, Felony, Sex Offenses, Traffic Violations, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff
- Super Lawyers: 2008 - 2023
About James D. Crum
First Admitted: 1989, Indiana
Professional Webpage: https://www.chwlaw.com/attorneys/james-d-crum/
- Adams v. State of Indiana, 960 N.E.2d 793 (Ind. Sup. Ct. 2012)
- Vasquez v. State of Indiana, 868 N.E.2d 473 (Ind. Sup. Ct. 2007)
- Baber v. State of Indiana, 842 N.E.2d 343 (Ind. Sup Ct. 2006)
- Indiana Super Lawyers, Criminal Defense, 2008 - Present
- The Ohio State University, B.A., Journalism, 1983
Pro bono/Community Service
- Contract Public Defender for Hamilton Superior Court 1
- Hamilton County Bar Association, Past President
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- Indiana State Bar Association, Member
- Hamilton County Bar Association, Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- Hamilton County Drug Court Advisory Board, Member
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- American Bar Association, Member
Last Updated: 9/17/2022