Claire E. Lewis
Top rated elder law attorney in Indianapolis, IndianaLaw Office of Claire E. Lewis
Practice Areas: Elder law
Licensed in Indiana since: 1983
With more than 30 years of elder law experience, Claire E. Lewis is the past President of the Indiana Chapter of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys and was also a founding member and first President of the chapter. She currently chairs the Chapter's Government and Public Affairs Committee. A founding member and first Chair of the Indiana State Bar Association's Elder Law Section, she now serves as Chair of its Public Policy Committee. She served on the Executive Committee of the Estate Planning Section of the Indianapolis Bar Association and recently completed terms on the Boards of Directors of the Alzheimer's Association and Area Agency on Aging for Central Indiana. Lewis is Editor of the Laws of Aging sponsored by the Indiana Bar Foundation. Lewis is a 2009 recipient of the GP Hall of Fame Award sponsored by the GP Solo and Small Firm Section of the Indiana State Bar Association and was inducted in 2010 as a Fellow of the Indiana Bar Foundation. Lewis was also twice named as the Indiana Chapter of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys attorney of the year.
First Admitted: 1983, Indiana
Professional Webpage: https://www.clairelewis.net/attorney/claire-e-lewis/
- Member, Board of Directors, National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Indiana Chapter; chair of Chapter's Government and Public Affairs CommitteeMember and past president of the organization. Former member of the Board of Directors, Indianapolis Bar Association Estate Planning Section. Indiana State Bar Association: Founding member and first chair of Elder Law Section; current chair of Public Policy Committee Committee. Former member of Public Policy Committee for Alzheimer's Association of Indiana; former Board of Directors member and chair of its Mission & Outreach Committee. Member of CICOA Aging & In Home Solutions (area agency on aging) Public Policy Committee; former secretary of the Board of Directors, CICOA.
- Editor and contributing author, Laws of Aging. Contributing author, Medicaid in Indiana and Medicaid in Indiana for the Elderly and Disabled. Author, Guardianship in Indiana, Advance Directives, Home-Sharing & Housing Alternatives for the Older Adult. Contributing author, Nursing Home Residents' Rights.
- Lewis is a regular volunteer for the Senior Law Project of Indiana Legal Services, Inc., assisting in particular with the Project's Medicaid trainings for both lawyers and non-lawyers. She also does volunteer projects for Sheltering Wings, a shelter for victims of domestic violence, and for the Indiana Alzheimer's Association.
- Recipients of this award are selected as a result of their high standard of ethics and professional competency exhibited to their clients, the legal profession, and their community., GP Hall of Fame Award, GP Solo & Small Firm Section of the Indiana State Bar Association, 2009
- Established in 1979, the Fellows are an elite group of Indiana attorneys who demonstrate commitment to the ideals of the Foundation in advancing justice, promoting public understanding of the law, and enhancing the legal professions' performance of its ethical responsibilities. Only 1,000 Indiana attorneys are currently members of this select group., Fellow of the Indiana State Bar Foundation, Indiana State Bar Foundation, 2010
- The Law Related Education Award from the Indiana State Bar Association is given to one individual per year for outstanding work in legal education. Lewis was recognized in 2005 particularly for her work on the Laws of Aging, a book focusing on the legal needs of older adults. Lewis was also recognized for her ongoing work in chairing the Elder Law Institute and the Advanced Elder Law Seminar for the Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum.
- In July, 2010, Lewis was inducted as a Fellow and in 2014, she was selected as a Master Fellow, of the Indiana State Bar Foundation. Established in 1979, the Fellows are an elite group of Indiana attorneys who demonstrate commitment to the ideals of the Foundation in advancing justice, promoting public understanding of the law, and enhancing the legal professions' performance of its ethical responsibilities. Only 1,000 Indiana attorneys are currently members of this select group. In addition, in 2012, Lewis was inducted as a Fellow of the Indianapolis Bar Foundation., Fellow of the Indiana State Bar Foundation, 2010