Top Rated Employment Litigation Attorney in Indianapolis, IN
- Free Consultation
Employment law attorney Jason Cleveland is a partner at the law firm of Cleveland Lehner Cassidy Attorneys at Law in Indianapolis, Indiana. His practice concentrates on employment and discrimination law cases.
Well-known in the legal community for being responsive and professional, Mr. Cleveland has extensive experience handling hundreds of federal cases and dozens of bench and jury trials in state and federal courts. Following a thorough review of a case, he takes complete control of it and fights for his clients in a way that comforts them. Throughout the process, he keeps them informed of the progress and sets realistic expectations.
Mr. Cleveland has completed his Bachelor of Arts in philosophy at DePauw University and earned his Juris Doctor from the Indiana University Bloomington Maurer School of Law. Before joining the current firm, he practiced general civil litigation at Hostetter & O’Hara and employment and discrimination law from the Employment Law office of John H. Haskin & Associates, LLC.
Permitted to practice in Indiana, Mr. Cleveland has represented his clients before the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, the United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana, the United States Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit, and the Indiana state courts and local and federal bodies and boards. He is the vice president of the National Employment Lawyers Association Indiana Chapter and an at-large member of Indiana State Bar Association’s Employment Section.
Mr. Cleveland has been included in the list of Best Employment Lawyers in Indianapolis by Expertise.com and has a “Superb” Avvo rating. In addition to publishing articles on employment law, discrimination and whistleblowing in The Indiana Lawyer, he has lectured in the National Business Institute’s continuing legal education seminars on employment law.
- 50%Employment Litigation: Plaintiff
- 20%Civil Rights
- 20%Employment & Labor: Employee
- 10%Civil Litigation: Plaintiff
Employment Discrimination, Wrongful Termination, Retaliation, Americans with Disabilities Act, Race Discrimination, Disability, Discrimination, Employment Law - Employee, Wage & Hour Laws, Whistleblower, Sexual Harassment
- Super Lawyers: 2022
About Jason Cleveland
First Admitted: 2003, Indiana
Professional Webpage: https://www.clcattorneys.com/attorney/cleveland-jason-p/
- DePauw University - B.A. Philosophy, 2000
- Admitted to Practice State of Indiana, 2003
- Admitted to Practice Southern District Indiana, 2003
- Admitted to Practice Northern District Indiana, 2003
- Admitted to Practice Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, 2020
- Gave presentation entitled Drugs and Alcohol in the Workplace: Medical Marijuana and Other Considerations, Presenter, Advanced Employment Law - What You Need to Know, NBI, Employment, 2016
- Presented at a continuing legal education seminar on the topic of "A Current Look at Government Immunity.", Presenter, Ensuring Local Governments Comply with the Law, NBI, Employment, 2017
- Cantley v. Indiana University Health - ruling in favor of Plaintiff on Defendant's Motion for Summary Judgment, 2016
- Amber Bowens v. Sunshine Retirement Living LLC d/b/a Heritage Point Assisted Living and Memory Care - ruling in favor of Plaintiff on Defendant's Motion for Summary Judgment, 2021
- Cheryl Kellogg v. Ball State University d/b/a the Indiana Academy - reversal of summary judgment at 7th Circuit Court of Appeals, 2021
- Williams v. Megan Brennan (US Postal Service) - ruling in favor of Plaintiff (in part) on Defendant's Motion for Summary Judgment, 2018
- Baird v. Progress Rail Manufacturing Corporation - ruling in favor of Plaintiff (in part) on Defendant's Motion for Summary Judgment, 2019
- Instructional video on how the FMLA works., FMLA Leave, Employment, 2018
Pro bono/Community Service
- Participated in Southern District of Indiana's Pro Bono Program. Represented inmate of Wabash Valley Correctional Facility in his employment discrimination case and successfully negotiated a resolution, 2019
- Negotiated purchase of commercial building, 2019
- Jason Cleveland was nominated and selected as a Super Lawyer in 2021. , Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers, 2021
- Best Employment Lawyers in Indianapolis, Expertise, 2020
- Jason Cleveland represented Amber Bowens against Sunshine Retirement Living, LLC d/b/a Heritage Point Assisted Living and Memory Care in her claims of race-based harassment, hostile working environment, and unlawful termination. The defendant filed a motion for summary judgment, claiming that her claims lacked merit and asking the court to dismiss her case prior to trial. The district court ruled in Ms. Bowens's favor, finding that she had presented sufficient evidence to present to a jury that she was subjected to harassment and hostile working environment, and that she had sufficient evidence to claim that her resignation constituted a "constructive discharge" by the defendant. The case was then resolved by settlement between the parties prior to trial. , 2021
- Jason Cleveland represented Cheryl Kellogg against Ball State University d/b/a the Academy in her claim of sex-based pay discrimination. The district court dismissed her claims on summary judgment, but Kellogg appealed the ruling to the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals. The 7th Circuit reversed the district court's ruling, finding that Kellogg's evidence that her employer made a discriminatory comment at the time her salary was set was admissible. The Court further ruled that the paycheck accrual rule, which was codified in the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, applied to Equal Pay Act cases as well, 2021
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Vice President National Employment Lawyers Association - Indiana Chapter, 2021
- At Large Member - Indiana State Bar Association Employment Section, 2021
Last Updated: 5/15/2022