Michael W. Phelps
Top rated Personal Injury attorney in Indianapolis, IndianaHankey Marks & Crider
An accomplished personal injury attorney, Michael W. Phelps serves clients in Indianapolis and the surrounding areas of Indiana from Hankey Law Office. Over the years, he has established himself as a diligent litigator and a respected attorney. He handles cases related to general personal injury, medical malpractice, product liability, interstate trucking accidents and wrongful death.
A native of Richmond, Indiana, Mr. Phelps studied aerospace technology at Indiana State University and then pursued his Bachelor of Arts in political science at Indiana University Bloomington. After graduating in 1995, he furthered his education and obtained his Juris Doctor with honors from the Capital University Law School in 1997.
A former personal injury defense attorney, Mr. Phelps spent 24 years of his legal career defending clients accused of negligence. His decision to advocate for the rights of injured plaintiffs was described as a kick in the teeth by his peers and those in the legal community. He has tried over 100 jury trials at state and federal levels and has procured millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts on behalf of his clients. Some of his record-setting results include:
- $157 million in a wrongful death suit
- $26 million in an auto accident case
- $8 million in a case involving product liability
- $4 million in a recent slip-and-fall case
A frequent presenter at multiple legal seminars, Mr. Phelps has been contributing to the Annual Indiana Law Survey – Torts Section consecutively for nine years. He holds active memberships in the Indiana State Bar Association, the Indiana Trial Lawyers Association and the American Association for Justice.
Mr. Phelps was selected for inclusion in the Top 100 Trial Lawyers list by The National Trial Lawyers. He is also a member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, one of the prestigious groups of trial lawyers in the United States. He is licensed to practice in Indiana (1998), the U.S. District Court for the Southern and Northern Districts of Indiana, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the for the 7th Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Practice areasPersonal Injury - General: Plaintiff
Animal Bites, Brain Injury, Construction Accident, Dram Shop Laws, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Toxic Mold, Trucking Accidents, Wrongful Death
- 100% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 1998, Indiana
Professional Webpage: https://www.hankeylawoffice.com/about/michael-phelps/
- Indiana University, B.S., Sociology and Political Science, 1995
- Mike has litigated over the course of his career. Of particular note, he was lead counsel at trial and argued the seminal cases of Stanley v. Walker, Humphrey v. U.S. Xpress Trucking and Reese v. Tyson Fresh Meats before the Indiana Supreme Court.
- Named as one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers, Nationwide, by The National Trial Lawyers Association
- 8-Figure Litigators
- 7-Figure Litigators
- Best Lawyers in Indiana, Top 10
- National Trial Lawyer's Distinguished Counsel, Top 1%
- Indianapolis Monthly Super Lawyer 2013-present
- Member, Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Regularly speaks as faculty at ITLA and ICLEF CLE Seminars regarding trial practice
- Indiana, 1998
- Order of the Curia Legal Honorary Fraternity 1997-Present
- American Trial Lawyers Association (“AAJ”) 2005-Present
- Indiana Trial Lawyers Association 2005-Present (Sustaining Member, College of Fellows, and a member of their Board of Directors)
- Indiana State Bar Association 1998-Present
- United States Circuit Court for the 7th Circuit, 1998
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, 1998
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana, 1998
- United States Supreme Court, 2005
Office location for Michael W. Phelps
429 E Vermont St
Indianapolis, IN 46202
- Super Lawyers: 2013 - 2024