Richard A. Cook
Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney in Indianapolis, IN
- Free Consultation
- Virtual Appointments
A former federal law clerk, deputy prosecutor and assistant federal prosecutor, Richard A. Cook is now a personal injury attorney at Yosha Cook & Tisch. He represented those in the greater Indianapolis area in matters of medical malpractice, insurance coverage issues, real estate disputes, environmental torts, libel-slander, automobile accidents, burn injuries, products liability, wrongful death, breach of contract in construction issues, civil rights claims, injury claims related to construction, employment disputes, sexual harassment claims, defamation and breach of contract claims.
Mr. Cook is a member of the Indiana Trial Lawyers Association, American College of Trial Lawyers, the American Association for Justice and the litigation section of the American Bar Association. He is the 2019 Receipt of the ITLA Award for Consumer Advocacy.
While he worked for the Lake County Prosecutor’s Office, he handled jury trials related to capital murder, confinement, OWI causing death, robbery, rape and murder. When he was the assistant United States attorney for the Indiana Division for the Northern District of Indiana, he handled matters of murder for hire, racketeering, illegal drug manufacturing, wire and mail fraud, counterfeiting and conspiracy. Commended for his work by the United States Attorney General, Mr. Cook was also given the Post Master General Special Award.
For his high ethical standards and long list of successful results he holds the highest peer rating possible of AV Preeminent* from Martindale-Hubbell. He is also received recognition by his peers through SuperLawyer®. He is admitted to practice in Indiana and before the United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana, the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana and the United States Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit in Chicago.
After earning a Bachelor of Science in the economics honors program of Purdue University, he graduated with his Juris Doctor from Valparaiso University School of Law. For the last 17 years, Mr. Cook has focused his legal practice on plaintiff’s work and civil defense.
* AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 30%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 40%Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
- 10%Civil Rights
- 10%Insurance Coverage
- 10%Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff
- 0%Personal Injury - General: Defense
Wrongful Death, Construction Accident
- Super Lawyers: 2018 - 2022
Certificates and Credentials
About Richard A. Cook
First Admitted: 1982, Indiana
Professional Webpage: https://www.yoshalawfirm.com/our-attorneys/richard-a-cook/
- Author, Is the Use of a Jury Consultant Protected from Disclosure, Indiana Trial Lawyers Association - Verdict Vol. 31, No. 4, www.indianatriallawyers.org, The following article deals with techniques and measures that may be used to ensure that information and assistance obtained from a jury consultant is treated by the court as privileged and confidential, 2010
- Presenter and Author, Preparing Your Client for Deposition, Indiana Trial Lawyers Association, The presentation and article described below dealt with the preparation of a plaintiff for deposition, www.indianatriallawyers.org, 2009
- Letter of Commendation, United States Attorney General Dick Thornburg, Received national recognition for successfully investigating and prosecuting an elaborate altered postal money order scheme which was operated within the Indiana State Prison system. This scheme was used to bilk the public out of millions of dollars and financed a number of illegal enterprises inside the Indiana Prison system, 1989
- Special Award from the Chief Postal Inspector, U.S. Postal Service, Received national recognition for successfully investigating and prosecuting an elaborate altered postal money order scheme which was operated within the Indiana State Prison system. This scheme was used to bilk the public out of millions of dollars and financed a number of illegal enterprises inside the Indiana Prison system, 1988
- AV rated by legal peers through Martindale-Hubbell
- Bachelor of Science Degree in the Economic Honors Program, Krannert School of Business, Purdue University, 1979
- United States Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit, Chicago, Illinois
- American Association For Justice
- Member, Super Lawyers of Indiana
- United States District Courts for the Southern District of Indiana
- United States District Courts for the Northern District of Indiana
- Member of the Indiana Trial Lawyers Association, 2008
- Member of the American Bar Association, Litigation Section, 1982
Pro bono/Community Service
- American College of Trial Lawyers, 2016
Other Outstanding Achievements
- ITLA Consumer Advocate of the Year, 2019
- An electrical injury lawsuit was brought against IPL for failing to properly warning of high voltage electric lines on its property which resulted in a worker striking the line. The worker permanently injured his nervous system and developed chronic pain from CRPS. The jury found damages for the worker and his wife in excess of 20 million dollars and returned a verdict of $12,195,000 after adjustments were made for comparative fault., 2020
Last Updated: 5/15/2022