Top Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in Indianapolis, IN
Attorney Richard Kammen is Of Counsel with the Kammen & Moudy, LLC law firm located in Indianapolis, Indiana. Serving clients throughout Marion County and the surrounding areas of Central Indiana, Mr. Kammen devotes his practice to devising the most effective defense strategies possible for those facing all types of criminal charges, including capital murder charges, white collar crimes, drug violations, sex crimes and other serious offenses.
An effective appellate attorney, Mr. Kammen also advocates strongly on behalf of those who wish to challenge a lower court's ruling, and he has successfully represented numerous clients with their appeals, including several capital felony convictions that resulted in death penalties.
After graduating cum laude from Ripon College in 1968, Mr. Kammen attended New York University School of Law, where he received his Juris Doctor in 1971. That same year, the Indiana State Bar Association admitted him to practice, and Mr. Kammen served with the United States Army before entering private practice.
Early in his legal career, Mr. Kammen was a public defender with the Marion County courts between 1972 and 1974, and again between 1978 and 1979. During this time, he gained invaluable insight into the inner workings of the criminal justice system, knowledge that he uses to deliver the highest level of support and counsel to those he serves.
Along with practicing before all of Indiana's state courts, Mr. Kammen is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the 7th and 9th Circuits and the U.S. Supreme Court.
A consummate professional, he is actively involved in his legal community, and he is a member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the American Bar Association, the National Criminal Defense College, the Trial Lawyers College, the Indiana State Bar Association and the Indianapolis Bar Association.
He frequently conducts lectures on a variety of topics related to criminal law for legal organizations across the country, and he won the Pro Bono Award from the Indiana State Bar Association in recognition for his selfless commitment to those in need throughout his local community.
- 50%Criminal Defense
- 40%Criminal Defense: White Collar
- 10%Administrative Law
Arrest & Arraignment, Assault & Battery, Criminal Law, Drug & Alcohol Violations, Expungement, Felony, Murder, Parole, Probation, Prosecution, Sex Offenses, Theft, White Collar Crime, Criminal Law - Federal, Licensing
- Super Lawyers: 2004 - 2022
About Richard Kammen
First Admitted: 1971, Indiana
Professional Webpage: https://www.kammenlaw.com/attorney/richard-kammen/
- United States v. Reginald Brown
- United States v. Raymond Cheely
- State of Indiana v. Charles Smith
- United States v. Joe Minerd
- The Law of the Death Penalty 2000-present, Adjunct Professor, Indiana University School of Law-Indianapolis
- Recent Developments in Criminal Law Indiana University Law Review, 1990
- Departures Under the Federal Gent. Guidelines ICLEF, 1989
- National Criminal Defense College, National Associate of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 1982 - Present
- Ripon College, Ripon, Wisconsin, B.A., Bachelor of Arts, Honors: cum laude, 1968
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1976
- U.S. Federal Court, 1971
- Indiana Bar Association, 1971 - Present
- Trial Lawyers College, Member since 2001
- Indiana, 1971
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana, 1971
- American Bar Association, 1971 - Present
- National Criminal Defense College, Member since 1982
- Member of the Board of Directors National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1992
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1975
- Indianapolis Bar Association, 1971 - Present
- Appointed as a Member of the Faculty to the National Criminal Defense College, Macon Ga., Faculty National Criminal Defense College, 1982
- Pro Bono Award, Indiana State Bar Association, 1986
- Named as one of the Best Lawyers in America in the area of Criminal Defense every year since 1985., Best Lawyers in America, 1985
- Theta Chi
- Appointed as Learned Counsel in Numerous Federal Capital Cases in Multiple Federal Districts., 1990
- Certified to Practice before U.S. Military Commission by the Office of Military Commissions, Washington D.C., 2008
- How do police identify marijuana growing operations? https://t.co/glYcA4Tm4p
- What is forgery? https://t.co/2vq9VkpGn9
- What can lead to tax fraud charges? https://t.co/mc3X2c7eGg
- You can lose your license from alleged drunk driving offenses https://t.co/08LuHniyMD
- Police may search your car's computer https://t.co/mRl47CPKoy
Last Updated: 6/3/2022