Robert T. Dassow
Top rated class action & mass torts attorney in Indianapolis, IndianaHovde Dassow + Deets
An attorney at Hovde Dassow and Deets, Robert T. Dassow focuses his practice exclusively on personal injury and wrongful death litigation. From the firm's office in Indianapolis, he provides representation to clients throughout the surrounding area and other parts of Indiana who have incurred economic and noneconomic losses due to the negligence or recklessness of other persons or entities. The types of cases that Mr. Dassow have handled have arisen out of incidents involving truck, car, and other motor vehicle crashes, products liability actions involving defective drugs and medical devices, medical malpractice, and aviation accidents.
Some of Mr. Dassow's representative matters have included mass tort litigation involving Chantix, Zoloft, knee replacements, hernia patches, and hip implants, and he has been able to obtain significant compensation for both his class and individual clients, including more than $100 million in mass tort settlements. His successful track record and high degree of ethics have led to his receipt of a Distinguished* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell. Admitted to practice before all Indiana state courts, Mr. Dassow is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana.
Majoring in economics, Mr. Dassow pursued his undergraduate studies at Beloit College, and he was a member of its baseball, basketball, and tennis teams before receiving a Bachelor of Arts in 1987. He then went on to attend law at Valparaiso University Law School, where he was an articles editor of the Valparaiso University Law Review and interned for a judge on the U.S. Court of Federal Claims before being awarded his Juris Doctor in 1990. Mr. Dassow has served on the board of directors of the Indiana Trial Lawyers Association, and he is a member of several other professional groups.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasClass action/mass torts: plaintiff, Personal injury - general: plaintiff, Personal injury - medical malpractice: plaintiff, Aviation and aerospace, Personal injury - products: plaintiff
Class actions, Asbestos, Toxic torts, Personal injury - plaintiff, Wrongful death, Brain injury, Trucking accidents, Premises liability - plaintiff, Medical malpractice, Birth injury, Aviation accidents - plaintiff
- 30% Class action/mass torts: plaintiff
- 30% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
- 20% Personal injury - medical malpractice: plaintiff
- 10% Aviation and aerospace
- 10% Personal injury - products: plaintiff
First Admitted: 1990, Indiana
Professional Webpage: https://hovdelaw.com/our-team/meet-the-team/attorneys/robert...
- I am admitted to practice before the bar in Indiana and admitted in the Northern and Southern District Courts of Indiana. I am also admitted to the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. I have represented hundreds of clients in various mass torts, class actions, and other multidistrict litigation including third party payor litigation. While not a complete list, he has represented clients in the following mass tort cases: In Re: Diet Drug Litigation, In Re: Vioxx Products Liability Litigation, In Re: Bextra Products Litigation, In Re: Avandia Products Liability Litigation, In Re: Trasylol Products Liability Litigation, In Re: Chantix Products Liability Litigation, In Re: Fosamax Products Liability Litigation, In Re: Kugel Mesh Hernia Patch Products Liability Litigation, In Re: Depuy Orthopedics, Inc. Hip Implant Products Liability Litigation, In Re: Premarin/PremproProducts Liability Litigation, In Re: Yaz, Yasmin, Ocella Products Liability Litigation, In Re: Zoloft Products Liability Litigation, In Re Zyprexa Products Liability Litigation, In Re Transvaginal Mesh Products Liability Litigation, In Re Zimmer NexGen Knee Replacement Products Liability Litigation, and RCA class action litigation. Hovde Dassow & Deets, LLC is an Indiana First Tier law firm in four (4) litigationcategories including mass torts, class actions, medical malpractice, and product liability litigation as ranked by U.S. News World Report. In 2013, I was selected as National Liaison counsel for the Biomet Hip Implant Litigation where, more than 2,000 cases were settled. I am also been co-lead in In Re Raptiva Litigation in Alameda County, California; a mass tort case involving a biologic agent used to treat psoriasis. Since 2015, I have also been currently serving as Plaintiffs’ Liaison Counsel in the Indiana State Court for the MDL 2545- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Production Liability Litigation in Illinois. I am a proposed Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee member for the national MDL NCAA litigation MDL 2492.
- Speaker - Indiana Trial Lawyers Association Lecturer- University of Chicago/Beloit College Economics and the Law Adjunct Professor - Valparaiso University
- Adjunct Professor, Business Law, Valparaiso University
- Valparaiso University Law Review, Articles Editor, Valparaiso University School of Law
- Fellow Indiana Bar Foundation Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
- National Liaison Counsel, Biomet Hip MDL 2391
- Indiana Trial Lawyers Association Board Member Fellow Indiana Bar Foundation The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Lawyers
- Fellow, American Association for Justice
- Fellow, Federal Bar Association
- Fellow, American Bar Association
- Superlawyers, Mass Torts, 2010
- American Association for Justice
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- He graduated from Valparaiso University School of Law (J.D. 1990) where he was an Articles Editor for the Law Review. He was also an Adjunct Professor of Business Law at Valparaiso University. He was also a Summer Intern for Chief Judge Loren A. Smith, U.S. Court of Federal Claims (formerly U.S. Claims Court).
- Beloit College, B.A., Economics, Concentration: Biochemistry, 1987
- I am one of the four partners of Hovde, Dassow & Deets, LLC, an Indianapolis based law firm. Previously, he was a partner of the law firm of Siegel Carter & Dassow, and prior to that an associate at the law firm of Locke Reynolds. I received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics with a concentration in Biochemistry from Beloit College in Beloit, Wisconsin and a Juris Doctor degree from Valparaiso University in 1990, where he was Editor of the Valparaiso Law Review. Also, I was an Adjunct Professor of Business Law at Valparaiso University. I am currently a Member of the American Bar Association, Federal Bar Association, Indiana Bar Foundation, American Association for Justice, and a Board Member of the Indiana Trial Lawyers Association.
Office location for Robert T. Dassow
10201 N. Illinois Street
Indianapolis, IN 46290
- Super Lawyers: 2011 - 2016, 2018 - 2023