Robert W. Johnson
Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney in Indianapolis, IN
- Free Consultation
The 2017 recipient of the Indiana Trial Lawyers Association’s Trial Lawyer of the Year award, Robert W. Johnson is a partner at Johnson Jensen LLP. He focuses his practice exclusively on personal injury and wrongful death litigation, representing clients throughout parts of his native state of Indiana from the firm’s offices in Indianapolis. Mr. Johnson has been admitted to practice in Indiana since 1993, and he is additionally admitted to practice before the U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Northern Districts of Indiana.
Mr. Johnson’s clients are people who have been harmed due to the negligence of other parties, and he has particular empathy for their plight due to the fact that one of his daughters has special needs due to a disability that she developed from contracting cerebral palsy at birth. He has handled a variety of personal injury cases throughout his distinguished career, including medical malpractice as well as motor vehicle accidents involving cars, trucks and motorcycles. Mr. Johnson has been able to obtain millions of dollars in jury awards and negotiated settlements for his clients, and his fellow professionals have taken note of his successful track record in and out of the courtroom. In addition to his receipt of the ITLA award, he has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, and he also possesses a 10.0 peer review rating through Avvo and a Distinguished* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. Johnson majored in economics and political science at Miami University, receiving a Bachelor of Science in 1990. He then returned to Indiana for his legal education, enrolling at the Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, and in 1993, he graduated with his Juris Doctor. Mr. Johnson sits on the board of directors of the Indiana Trial Lawyers Association and is a member of several other legal organizations.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 70%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 30%Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Wrongful Death, Construction Accident, Brain Injury, Sexual Abuse - Plaintiff, Trucking Accidents, Medical Malpractice, Birth Injury
- Super Lawyers: 2012 - 2022
About Robert W. Johnson
First Admitted: 1993, Indiana
Professional Webpage: https://johnsonjensen.com/professionals/robert-w-johnson/
- American Board of Trial Advocates, President
- Admitted to the Indiana Bar
- Admitted to U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana
- Admitted to U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana
- Member, The Indiana Trial Lawyers Association
- Board of Directors, The Indiana Trial Lawyers Association
- At-large member of Executive Committee at the Indiana Trial Lawyers Association. Chair of Governmental Affairs Committee at the Indiana Trial Lawyers Association. Member of Amicus Committee at the Indiana Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, The American Association for Justice
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates. President of Indiana Chapter 2018.
- Member, Indianapolis Bar Association
- Member, Indiana State Bar Association
- Member, National Crime Victims Bar Association
- , National Association of Distinguished Counsel, Nation's Top One Percent
- , Super Lawyer
- , Best Lawyers
- This annual ITLA is presented to an ITLA member. Nominations are made. The award description is: "A lawyer who upholds the honor of the legal profession and is a true defender of the people; a lawyer who works to protect the rights of injured victims and consumers; a lawyer who successfully handles a case of major public importance in state or federal court, including appellate courts; a lawyer who assists ITLA in their efforts to protect the rights of consumers and injured victims at the state legislature and the U.S. Congress; a lawyer who devotes substantial time and effort to further the mission of ITLA by serving as a member; a lawyer who frequently publishes articles and gives presentations in support of the rights of injured victims and consumer rights; and lastly, a lawyer who earns admiration and respect for trial lawyers as a result of noteworthy activities." In 2017, Bob wrote the ITLA amicus brief filed in the case of Crays v. Angel Shores Mobile Home Park. His Brief persuaded the Court of Appeals to extend the holdings in Hematology-Oncology of Ind. v. Fruits and Indiana Patients Compensation Fund v. Brown to allow plaintiffs in child wrongful death actions to recover attorney fees and litigation expenses. He further persuaded the Court of Appeals that these damages are not reduced based on the comparative fault of the plaintiff or non-party defendants. The Crays opinion is now final as the Defendants chose not to file a petition to transfer. In addition, Bob has been a main stalwart for ITLA on the recovery of attorney fees and litigation expenses in wrongful death actions. He personally tried and handled the appeal in Hematology-Oncology of Ind. v. Fruits and authored the Amicus Brief on behalf of ITLA in Indiana Patients Compensation Fund v. Brown. He has also spoken at numerous seminars on this topic, drafted many forms we use to recover these damages, and testified as an expert on this issue for ITLA Members in several cases. In addition, he has tried several difficult cases to favorable verdicts and serves on the ITLA Executive Committee, Indiana Trial Lawyers Association, Trial Lawyer of the Year, 2017
Pro bono/Community Service
- Legal Aid Corporation of Tippecanoe County
- Meals on Wheels – Board of Directors
- Neighborhood Christian Legal Clinic
- Miami University, B.A. in Economics and Political Science, 1990
Last Updated: 5/23/2022