A renowned Saint John, Indiana, family law attorney, Julie A. Stephens is the owner of her eponymous law firm. With nearly 25 years of legal experience, she efficiently manages every case aspect – from its commencement to verdict.
The breadth of Ms. Stephens’ knowledge and skills allows her to represent clients in a variety of legal matters involving divorce, child custody and support, spousal maintenance, property division, and marital agreements.
Born and raised in Lake County, Indiana, Ms. Stephens graduated cum laude with a Bachelor of Arts in psychology from Ball State University in Muncie, Indiana, in 1992. She then pursued her master’s degree and graduated magna cum laude from Valparaiso University in 1994. Later in 1998, she received her Doctor of Jurisprudence, cum laude, from the John Marshall Law School in Chicago, Illinois.
Early in her career, Ms. Stephens served as a director for the Porter County Prosecutor’s Office – Sexual Assault Recovery Unit. Her work there solidified her interest in law and her desire to work closely with the people of Indiana. She cut her teeth handling complex family law cases at another well-known law firm for about 15 years before establishing the Stephens Law Firm, P.C.
An Avvo honoree with a “Superb” rating, Ms. Stephens was named to the list of “Nation’s Top One Percent” in 2015 by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel. She was also included in the list of 10 Best Attorneys for Client Satisfaction by the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys and the National Academy of Family Law Attorneys’ Top 10 Attorneys.
Ms. Stephens is licensed in Indiana (1998), the United States District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana, and the United States Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit.
Active in community and bar activities, Ms. Stephens has volunteered to speak at schools on topics such as mediation to help teenage children better handle disputes. She is an active member of the Indiana State Bar Association, the Lake County Bar Association and was an officer of the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts.
Practice areasFamily Law
- 100% Family Law
First Admitted: 1998, Indiana
Professional Webpage: https://www.juliestephenslaw.com/attorney/julie-a-stephens/
- Association of Family & Conciliation Courts, 2010 to Present
- Indiana, 1998; U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana, 1998; U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana, 1998; U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1998
- Lake County Bar Association
- Women's Lawyers Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, National & State Chapter
- Valparaiso University, Valparaiso, Indiana, M.A. - 1994, Honors: magna cum laude, Major: Psychology
- Ball State University, Muncie, Indiana, B.A. - 1992, Honors: cum laude, Major: Psychology
Office location for Julie A. Stephens
8051 Wicker Avenue
St. John, IN 46373
- Super Lawyers: 2022 - 2024