N. Trey Pettlon, III
Top Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in Olathe, KS
N. Trey Pettlon, III, is a co-founder of the Law Offices of Pettlon & Ginie, located in Olathe, Kansas. Trey handles criminal defense as well as personal injury and wrongful death cases representing clients throughout the Kansas City metropolitan area and across Kansas and Missouri in State, Municipal and Federal courts.
Trey has won "not guilty" verdicts in numerous jury trials for clients charged with attempted murder, felony theft, aggravated battery, sexual battery, domestic battery, rape, sodomy, felony DUI, DUI, and Criminal Damage to Property. He's won dismissals in cases involving charges for murder, kidnapping, rape, indecent liberties and other alleged sex crimes, drug distribution and possession, voter fraud, DUI's in Kansas, DWI's in Missouri and numerous other criminal allegations. Trey's clients have included people people from all walks of life, from teachers and blue collar employees to people charged in high profile cases, criminal defense attorneys, prosecutors, doctors, police officers, CEO's of large corporations, professional athletes and some of the highest profile defendants in cases that have made national and international news.
Trey has also won significant jury verdicts for clients in personal injury and wrongful death cases and obtained numerous settlements, representing people who have been seriously injured or killed in car accidents, trucking accidents, gas explosions, medical malpractice and other incidents caused by the negligence of others. In 1997 Trey obtained the largest jury verdict of the year in Clay County, Missouri, and in 2004, he obtained one of the largest jury verdicts for the state of Missouri for the year. Trey is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. He has traveled from California to Maine building the best cases for his clients.
Trey graduated from the University of Missouri in 1988 and then Washburn University School of Law in 1991. While in law school, Trey argued before the Honorable Justice Antonin Scalia in the championship round of the Prince Memorial Evidence Moot Court Competition in Manhattan, New York.
After spending three years as an Assistant District Attorney with the Johnson County District Attorney's Office, Trey entered private practice and later formed the "Law Offices of Pettlon & Ginie" with Ryan Ginie, who has also been selected as a Super Lawyer. He is admitted to practice in Kansas and Missouri as well as the U.S. District Courts in Kansas and Missouri and the Supreme Court of the United States.
Arrest & Arraignment, Assault & Battery, Criminal Fraud, Criminal Law, Drug & Alcohol Violations, Expungement, Felony, Juvenile Delinquency, Misdemeanor, Motor Vehicle Offenses, Murder, Probation, Sex Offenses, Traffic Violations, Criminal Domestic Violence, Animal Bites, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Wrongful Death, Brain Injury, Trucking Accidents, Premises Liability - Plaintiff
- Super Lawyers: 2006, 2009 - 2021
About N. Trey Pettlon, III
First Admitted: 1991, Missouri
Professional Webpage: http://www.treypettlon.com/docs/personal-injury-lawyers-crim...
- Kansas Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers - Ethics Committee Chair
- Johnson County Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Clay County Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, Sustaining Member
- Johnson County Bar Association
- Kansas Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Life Member
- Schmitt v. Midwest Division RPC, $965,000 jury verdict, Jackson County, Missouri Circuit Court
- T.A. v. Missouri Gas & Energy, Gas Explosion case, confidential settlement, U.S. District Court - Western District of Missouri
- S.G. v. Kentucky Fried Chicken, Personal Injury Negligence Claim, $500,000 settlement
- Schoettger v. Petet, et al., $500,000 jury verdict, Clay County, Missouri Circuit Court
Pro bono/Community Service
- Board of Directors, Midwest Innocence Project, 2015
- Board of Directors, Lorraine's House - Sober living shelter for women, 2016
- Continuing Legal Education, Kansas Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Lecturer, Ethics, 2015
- Continuing Legal Education, Kansas Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Lecturer, How to Defend your DUI client in a Jury Trial, 2014
- Chapter: "Thorough Strategies for Interviewing Your Client and The Prosecution's Witnesses," Aspatore Books, Author, Witness Preparation and Examination for DUI Proceedings, 2009
- Continuing Legal Education, Kansas Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Lecturer, Ethics, 2017
- Nation's Top One Percent - Only the top one percent of attorneys in the United States are selected for membership., National Association of Distinguished Counsel, 2017
- Nation's Top One Percent - Dedicated to the Highest Standards of Legal Excellence, National Association of Distinguished Counsel, 2019
- Nation's Top One Percent - Dedicated to the Highest Standards of Legal Excellence, National Association of Distinguished Counsel, 2018
- Nation's Top One Percent - Dedicated to the Highest Standards of Legal Excellence, National Association of Distinguished Counsel, 2016
- The President's Award - In some respects the most honored award presented by the Bar Association, this award is given to the attorney who has contributed the most to the bar association in one way or another that year. This coveted award is not presented every year., Johnson County Bar Association, 2009
- Member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum - Established in 1993, the Million Dollar Advocates Forum is one of the most prestigious groups of trial lawyers handling personal injury and wrongful death cases in the United States. Membership is limited to attorneys who have won million and multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements. Fewer than 1% of U.S. lawyers are members., The Top Trial Lawyers in America, 2018
Last Updated: 5/15/2022