Richard W. Morefield
Top rated Personal Injury attorney in Overland Park, KansasMorefield Speicher Bachman, LC
Attorney Richard W. Morefield is a partner with the Morefield Speicher Bachman, LC, in Overland Park, Kansas. Nationally ranked as among the top trial attorneys in the country, Mr. Morefield has more than 35 years of total legal experience, and he provides unmatched representation and support to clients throughout the greater Kansas City areas of Kansas and Missouri who have suffered injuries or loss as a result of a motor vehicle accident, defective product, slip-and-fall accident or some other preventable tragedy.
Along with handling all types of personal injury and wrongful death claims, Mr. Morefield also handles insurance claims, business litigation, fraud claims, breaches of contract and other civil disputes. He is also highly trained in mediation, and he has helped numerous clients resolve their conflicts and reach favorable agreements without the need for ever setting foot inside the courtroom. Mr. Morefield frequently serves as a mediator for other lawyers and their clients in personal injury, business, and probate cases.
A leader in his field, Mr. Morefield has served as chair of the Litigation and Trial Practice Committee of the American Bar Association's Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section as well as co-chair of its task force on fair funding for courts and chair of its standing committee on plaintiff’s practice. He has also served as editor of the organization's quarterly publication, "The Brief," and he has served as faculty member of the ABOTA National Trial Academy.
Moreover, Mr. Morefield has served as an adviser of the American Bar Association to the drafting committee on Unsworn Domestic Declarations, and he has published articles and conducted lectures and continuing legal education seminars on a variety of legal topics. He is also an active member of the American Association for Justice, the Kansas Trial Lawyers Association, the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association and the Johnson County Bar Association, among his other professional affiliations.
In recognition for his impeccable professionalism and outstanding legal abilities, Mr. Morefield was included in the 2022 edition of Best Lawyers in America for his work in personal injury litigation. He has earned a Top 100 Trial Lawyers’ designation from The National Trial Lawyers along with designation as one of the Top 10 Personal Injury Attorneys in Kansas from the National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys.
Mr. Morefield graduated from Rice University in 1983, and he obtained his Juris Doctor from the University of Kansas School of Law in 1986. He also completed basic mediation training from the University of Missouri–Kansas City School of Law in 2012.
Practice areasPersonal Injury - General: Plaintiff, Business Litigation, Alternative Dispute Resolution
Animal Bites, Assault, Brain Injury, Construction Accident, Dram Shop Laws, Mediation, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Trucking Accidents, Wrongful Death
- 70% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 20% Business Litigation
- 10% Alternative Dispute Resolution
First Admitted: 1986, Missouri
Professional Webpage: https://www.msblawkc.com/richard-morefield-2/
- Allied Attorney, Alliance Defending Freedom
- Chair, Board of Director, Joy Meadows, Inc. , 2023
- Elder on the Session for Covenant Chapel Evangelical Presbyterian Church, 2017
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Kansas Trial Lawyers Association - Executive Committee Member, 2023
- Kansas Trial Lawyers Association - Chair of Education Committee, 2023
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court District of Kansas
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Kansas
- Council Member, ABA's Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section 2007-2010
- Editor, "The Brief", quarterly law magazine published by ABA/TIPS, 2023
- Chair, Litigation and Trial Practice Committee, American Bar Association Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section
- Co-Chair of ABA Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section Taskforce on Fair Court Funding., 2014
- Co-chaired the Law Practice Management Task Force
- ABA/TIPS and ABOTA National Trial Academy Faculty, National Judicial College, Reno, NV. , 2022
- ABA/TIPS Section Conference, Los Angeles, California: Hey That Tweet Helps My Case: Presenting Social Media, Electronic and Demonstrative Evidence at Trial, 2018
- ABA/TIPS Adviser to Uniform Law Commission Study Committee on Unsworn Declarations
- Former Officer - American Bar Association-YLD
- President, Lawyers Association of Kansas City, 2004 - 2005
- President, Lawyers Association of Kansas City-YLS
- ABA representative for the Missouri Bar YLS
- Missouri Bar Association
- University of Kansas School of Law, J.D., 1986
- Rice University, B.A. in Economics and Legal Studies, 1983, 1983
- Confidential settlement of catastrophic auto accident case., 2022
- Obtained judgment in excess of $6 million for catastrophic personal injuries., 2022
- Settlement > $1,000,000.00 wrongful death dram shop case, 2018
- Settlement >$1,000,000.00 wrongful death in auto collision, 2017
- Settlement of $650,000.00 collision of auto with client on motorcycle, 2016
- Settlement of $200,000.00 in underinsured motorist claim, 2016
- Cinda Elias v. Harold Boltz and Daniel Cline, M.D., In the Circuit Court of Clay County, Missouri, Case No. CV105-007692CC. Rick Morefield was lead counsel in this wrongful death case and medical malpractice case. Cinda Elias and her husband were riding their motorcycle when they were struck from behind by defendant Boltz. Defendant Boltz had a seizure while driving his SUV. Ms. Elias's husband was killed in the collision and Ms. Elias suffered serious personal injuries. Defendant Boltz was a patient of defendant Cline, who was treating Mr. Boltz for a seizure disorder. The jury rendered a verdict for Ms. Elias against defendant Boltz for $2.4 million. This was one of the top 10 jury verdicts in the Kansas City area for 2010 according to Ingram's magazine., 2010
- Downey v. McKee, 218 S.W.3d 492, Mo.App. W.D., January 23, 2007 (Jury verdict of $925,000.00 in favor of client for breach of oral partnership agreement and interference with contract). Rick Morefield was lead counsel for Mark Downey in his lawsuit regarding defendant's breach of an oral partnership agreement. After Mr. Downey worked for over a year in the partnership to build a golf course, the defendant ejected Mr. Downey from the partnership without compensation.
- The National Trial Academy sponsored by the ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section (TIPS) of the American Bar Association and the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) offers a unique, interactive, diverse program combining today’s latest technology with the country’s top trial lawyers as personal mentors. Join TIPS and ABOTA in Reno, Nevada, from September 17-21, 2022 to develop trial skills from some of the nation’s best litigators. , Faculty, TIPS/ABOTA National Trial Academy, American Bar Association Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section, 2022
- "The Brief" is the quarterly law magazine of the American Bar Association Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section., Editorial Board Member, The Brief, 2022
- The National Trial Academy sponsored by the ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section (TIPS) of the American Bar Association and the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) offers a unique, interactive, diverse program combining today’s latest technology with the country’s top trial lawyers as personal mentors. Join TIPS and ABOTA in Reno, Nevada, from September 17-21, 2022 to develop trial skills from some of the nation’s best litigators. , Faculty, TIPS/ABOTA National Trial Academy, 2019
- Editor-in-chief of the quarterly law magazine The Brief 2006-2008, Editor-in-Chief, The Brief, 2008
- Lecture, Missouri Tort Law, Trial Techniques, Kansas Workers' Compensation Law, and the Federal Tort Claims Act
- ABA Annual Meeting in Toronto on Oral and Written Advocacy in Trial and on Appeal, 2011
- Speaker, Louisiana Association for Justice's Master's of Trial Seminar on the topic "The Art of Advocacy: Lessons from Preachers"
- This panel of in-house insurance counsel and senior outside trial counsel provided attendees with client management and practice insights designed to help them obtain, retain and grow their insurance defense practice. The panel also shared insights on the types of activities that will make outside counsel an indispensable partner to the in-house counsel in the successful defense of their matters., shop.americanbar.org/ebus/ABAEventsCalendar/EventDetails.aspx?productId=184647844, American Bar Association, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section, 2015
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America for work in the area of personal injury litigation., Recognized by Best Lawyers in America, US News & World Report - Best Lawyers in America, 2022
- To be considered for selection, an attorney must have litigated (for either plaintiff or defendant) a matter (1) with at least $2,000,000 in alleged damages at stake or (2) with the fate of a business worth at least $2,000,000 at stake. These minimum qualifications are required for initial consideration. Thereafter, candidates are carefully screened through comprehensive Qualitative Comparative Analysis based on a broad array of criteria, including the candidate’s professional experience, litigation experience, significant case results, representative high stakes matters, peer reputation, and community impact in order to rank the candidates throughout the state., Selection to America's Top 100 High Stakes Litigators, America's Top 100 Attorneys, 2019
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers, National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers, National Trial Lawyers, 2023
- Who's Who in American Law
- One of the Top 10 verdicts in the Kansas City area - a verdict of $2.487 million in a wrongful death case
- American Society of Legal Advocates, One of the "Top 100 Litigation Lawyers" in the State of Kansas, 2014
- AV by the Martindale-Hubbell Legal Directory
- National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys Top 10 Personal Injury Attorneys - Kansas, 2015, National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys
- Member, School's National Moot Court Team, University of Kansas, 1986
- Awarded a Full Scholarship to law school, University of Kansas, 1986
- Missouri Rule 17 Mediator certification, 2023
Office location for Richard W. Morefield
11814 W. 135th St.
Overland Park, KS 66221
- Super Lawyers: 2005 - 2023