J. Guthrie True
Top rated white collar crimes attorney in Frankfort, KentuckyTrue Guarnieri Ayer LLP
Practice Areas: White collar crimes, Criminal defense, Appellate; view more
Licensed in Kentucky since: 1984
Education: University of Kentucky College of Law
True Guarnieri Ayer LLP124 Clinton St
Frankfort, KY 40601 Visit website
J. Guthrie True is an attorney and partner at True Guarnieri Ayer, LLP, in Frankfort, Kentucky. Mr. True practices in the areas of administrative law, appeals, government investigations, health care litigation, personal injury, white collar criminal defense and complex civil litigation. He represents clients throughout the Frankfort region.
Practicing law for over 35 years, Mr. True has litigated and settled many major cases over the course of his career. He is qualified to appear before all Kentucky state courts, the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Kentucky, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit and the Supreme Court of the United States.
Mr. True is AV Preeminent peer-review rated,* the highest rating, through Martindale-Hubbell. Additionally, he is a fellow of the American Board of Criminal Lawyers and the American College of Trial Lawyers, and he has been included in The Best Lawyers in America magazine.
A member of many professional organizations, Mr. True is a member of the Franklin County Bar Association, the Fayette County Bar Association, the Kentucky Bar Association, the American Bar Association, the Kentucky Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and the American Health Law Association. He is also a member of the Kentucky Justice Association and the American Association for Justice.
Raised in Shelbyville, Kentucky, Mr. True graduated summa cum laude from Georgetown College with a bachelor’s degree in business and economics. He went on to earn his law degree from the University of Kentucky Rosenberg College of Law. While attending law school, he was a member and president of the moot court board.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers in America© are registered trademarks of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC. The names, logo, and database are protected under the trademark, copyright, and fair use laws of the United States of America. Any use of name, including in electronic form, must be made only by permission and under the guidelines of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC.
Practice areasCriminal defense: white collar, Criminal defense, Appellate, Personal injury - general: plaintiff
White collar crime, Criminal law - federal, Arrest & arraignment, Assault & battery, Criminal fraud, Criminal law, Drug & alcohol violations, False accusations, Felony, Juvenile delinquency, Misdemeanor, Motor vehicle offenses, Murder, Probation, Sex offenses, Theft, Traffic violations, Criminal domestic violence, Animal bites, Motor vehicle accidents, Personal injury - plaintiff, Slip and fall, Wrongful death, Construction accident, Brain injury, Toxic mold, Trucking accidents, Premises liability - plaintiff
- 40% Criminal defense: white collar
- 40% Criminal defense
- 10% Appellate
- 10% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
First Admitted: 1984, Kentucky
Professional Webpage: https://www.truelawky.com/attorney/j-g-true/
- Member, Board of Trustees, Georgetown College, 2002
- Member, Board of Trustees, Georgetown College, Chair, 2009
- Member, Board of Trustees, Georgetown College, Chair, 2008
- Rated Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters, 2007 - 2019
- AV® Preeminent ™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- 2013 – Criminal Defense: General Practice, 2014 – Personal Injury Litigation – Defense, 2015 – Criminal Defense: General Practice, 2016 – Criminal Defense: White Collar, 2017 – Criminal Defense: General Practice, 2018 – Criminal Defense: White Collar, Awarded Lawyer of the Year by U.S. News - Best Lawyers for the Lexington, Kentucky Area
- Kentucky area by U.S. News – Best Lawyers in Commercial Litigation, Criminal Defense: General Practice, Criminal Defense: White Collar, Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants, Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs, Product Liability Litigation - Defendants, Product Liability Litigation - Plaintiffs, 1999 - 2019, Rated Best Lawyer in Lexington
- Fellow, American Board of Criminal Lawyers
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Georgetown College, Georgetown, Kentucky, B.S., Honors: summa cum laude - 1981
- Kentucky, 1984
- National Health Lawyers Association
- Kentucky Justice Association
- American Association of Justice
- Kentucky Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Past President
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Fayette County Bar Association
- Franklin Bar Association, Past President
- Kentucky Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Board of Criminal Lawyers
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1989
- U.S. District Court Western District of Kentucky, 1987
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Kentucky, 1984
- U.S. District Court, 1984
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1989
Office location for J. Guthrie True
124 Clinton St
Frankfort, KY 40601
- Super Lawyers: 2007 - 2023