Darrin W. Banks
Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney in Lexington, KY
Darrin W. Banks is a partner at Porter, Banks, Baldwin & Shaw, PLLC. Based in Paintsville, Kentucky, he provides defense representation to insurance company clients in a variety of matters, and he devotes his entire practice to litigation. Admitted to practice in Kentucky since 1993, Mr. Banks is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Kentucky as well as before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit.
Mr. Banks has defended some of the nation's largest insurance providers, including Progressive, State Farm, GEICO and Allstate. A significant portion of his caseload has involved allegations by policyholders that their claims have been delayed or denied in bad faith, and his work in this regard has encompassed property, casualty, life and commercial insurance policies. Mr. Banks has also worked on cases involving personal injury and wrongful death claims arising out of truck and other motor vehicle accidents, and he has represented property and casualty insurance industry clients in subrogation litigation. Mr. Banks’ successful track record and high quality of work have earned him the high regard of his fellow attorneys, including a Distinguished* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell.
Born and raised in eastern Kentucky, Mr. Banks attended the University of Kentucky as an undergraduate, where he majored in history and earned a Bachelor of Arts in 1990. Remaining in Lexington, he enrolled at the University of Kentucky College of Law, and he was awarded his Juris Doctor in 1993. After graduation, Mr. Banks was an assistant prosecutor with the Johnson County Attorney's Office in Paintsville before entering private practice. He has served as the president of Kentucky Defense Counsel and is a member of other legal organizations.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 30%Personal Injury - General: Defense
- 30%Insurance Coverage
- 10%Business Litigation
- 10%Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Defense
- 10%Personal Injury - Products: Defense
- 10%Professional Liability: Defense
Bad Faith Insurance, Insurance Defense
- Super Lawyers: 2020 - 2022
About Darrin W. Banks
First Admitted: 1993, Kentucky
Professional Webpage: https://www.psbblaw.com/Attorneys/Darrin-W-Banks.shtml
- University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, B.A. - 1990, Major: History
Pro bono/Community Service
- Sigma Chi
- Kentucky Defense Counsel, President (2018\2019)
- Kentucky Defense Counsel, Board of Directors
- Defense Research Institute
- Kentucky Defense Counsel
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Kentucky, 1993
- U.S. District Court Western District of Kentucky, 2013
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1993
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Kentucky, 1993
- Selected to Kentucky Super Lawyers 2020
- Martindale – Hubbell Distinguished
- Encompass Ins. Company
- Everett Cash Mutual Insurance Company
- Grange Mutual Insurance Company
- Nationwide Property and Casualty Company
- GEICO General Insurance Company
- American Nat'l Prop + Casualty (ANPAC)
- Allstate Insurance Company
- State Auto Insurance Comp.
- Progressive Ins. Co.
- California Casualty Insurance Co.
- Kentucky Farm Bureau Mutual Insurance Co.
- State Farm Insurance Comp.
- Durham v. State Farm Mutual Auto Insurance Company, 5:16-CV-126-DCR, 2016 WL 3926263 (E.D. Ky. 2016)
- Marty Frost v. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company, 2013 WL 4746333 (E.D. Ky. 2013)
- McFerrin v. Allstate Property & Cas. Co., 29 F. Supp. 3d 924 (E.D. Ky. 2014)
- Salyers v. State Farm Fire and Cas. Co., 14-CV-143-JMH, 2014 WL 3611306 (E.D. Ky. 2014)
- Wayne Romans v. Kentucky Farm Bureau Mut. Ins. Co., 2017 WL 2210747 (Ky. App. 2017)
- Hill v. State Farm Mut. Auto. Ins. Co., CIV. ( Jan. 22, 2014), 10-CI-241-GFVT, 2014 WL 241469 (E.D. Ky. 2014)
- Adler v. Elk Glenn, LLC, 12-CI-85-ART, 2013 WL 6632057 (E.D. Ky. 2013)
- Conley v. Kentucky Farm Bureau Mutual Ins. Co, 2018 Ky. App. Lexis 933 (2018)
- Parks v. State Farm Fire and Cas. Co., 11-CI-64-ART, 2012 WL 3835837 (E.D. Ky. 2012)
Last Updated: 5/15/2022