Mat A. Slechter
Top rated Personal Injury attorney in Louisville, KentuckySlechter Law Firm
Practice Areas: Personal Injury, Medical Malpractice, Products Liability; view more
Licensed in Kentucky since: 1993
Education: University of Louisville Louis D. Brandeis School of Law
Slechter Law Firm2507 Bush Ridge Drive
Louisville, KY 40245 Visit website
Attorney Mat A. Slechter represents clients in the Louisville metropolitan and surrounding areas as a partner of Slechter Law Firm, PLLC. His legal focus includes those who have been injured in car wrecks, truck accidents, nursing home abuse and neglect, slip and falls, wrongful death, medical malpractice or any other personal injury. A dedicated, passionate advocate, he is committed to protecting the rights of the average person.
In 2016, the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys gave him the "10 Best" Client Satisfaction Award. Mr. Slechter serves on the Board of Governors of Kentucky Justice Association, and is a member of the American Association for Justice, the American Bar Association, the Louisville Bar Association and the Kentucky Bar Association. A prolific writer, he regularly writes for The Advocate, the publication of the Kentucky Justice Association.
Mr. Slechter graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in economics and management from Centre College in 1989, then attended the University of Louisville Brandeis School of Law. In 1992, he graduated with his Juris Doctor and while in law school he was a member of the Journal of Law and Education, and the Moot Court Board. He is regularly recognized as one of Kentucky’s Most Prolific Trial Lawyers by the Kentucky Trial Court Review.
Admitted to practice in Kentucky and Tennessee, Mr. Slechter is also admitted to practice before the United States District Courts for the Eastern District of Michigan, the Western and Eastern Districts of Kentucky and the Southern District of Indiana. As a member of the Kentucky Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Division’s Board of Governors, he worked as a delegate at the Young Lawyer’s Association convention put on by the American Bar Association.
Practice areasPersonal Injury - General: Plaintiff, Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff, Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff
Animal Bites, Birth Injury, Brain Injury, Delayed or Incorrect Diagnosis, Medical Malpractice, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Motor Vehicle Defects, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Sexual Abuse - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Trucking Accidents, Wrongful Death
- 50% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 30% Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
- 20% Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 1993, Kentucky
Professional Webpage: https://www.kytrialfirm.com/About/Attorney-Mat-A-Slechter.sh...
- Kentucky Justice Association, Lobbyist, 2015 to 2018. Working with the Kentucky Justice Association, I have met and corresponded with Kentucky legislators to educate them on issues that are important to Kentucky consumers with the ultimate goal of protecting every citizen's constitutional right to trial by jury. Legal Counsel; Chairman, Board of Directors; Chairman, Pastor Search Team (2009 and 2015) - Springdale Community Church. I presently serve as Legal Counsel and Chairman of the Board of Directors of Springdale Community Church in Louisville, Kentucky. Volunteer Head Coach and Fundraiser, Oldham Elite Basketball Program, 2017-2018. I served as Head Coach of the Oldham Elite Basketball 5th Grade team for the 2017-2018 season. Responsibilities included instruction in basketball fundamentals and game coaching, as well as fundraising. Volunteer Coach, Sponsor and Fundraiser, North Oldham Little League, 2010 to present. I have served as a coach, sponsor and fundraiser for North Oldham Little League since 2010. Volunteer, Youth Ministry International. I was a member of teams that provided short-term humanitarian aid, education, healthcare and missionary services to residents of Bayamo, Cuba in July, 2017 and July, 2018.
- Laughlin v. Lamkin, 979 S.W.2d 121 (Ky.App. 1998)
- $40 million judgment on behalf of teenager who suffered a traumatic brain injury as the result of a defective product., 2020
- $2 million settlement on behalf of woman whose husband was killed when his tractor-trailer left the highway and struck a bridge support. Our team was able to prove the collision was the result of a defective steer tire that exploded and caused the driver to lose control of his vehicle., 2021
- Higdon v. Buisson Investment Corp., 2013-CA-001908-MR (Ky.App. 2016)
- $800,000 for Client Injured in Back-to-Back Collisions. 54 year-old client was passenger in a car that crossed the center line and struck another vehicle head-on. As bystanders began to attend to the client and other crash victims, a third automobile plowed head-on into the client’s disabled stationary vehicle. Client suffered a collapsed lung, lacerated liver and multiple fractures. $875,000.00 for estate of elderly motorcyclist killed in collision. Seventy year-old client was a semi-retired businessman who enjoyed traveling the country on his Harley Davidson. He was killed instantaneously when a young woman crossed the center line in her automobile and stuck him head-on. The settlement far exceeded the value of the client’s projected future earnings. $300,000 for elderly nursing home resident. Elderly client was flipped out of bed and onto floor by nurse’s assistant attempting to change her bed linens. She suffered a fractured femur and had to have knee replacement surgery. She subsequently developed an infection over the incision site and had to undergo an above-knee amputation. $200,000.00 for client who suffered concussion and neck strain in rear-end collision with tractor-trailer. Fifty-four year-old maintenance worker was sitting at stoplight when his pickup truck was rear-ended by a tractor-trailer. Client suffered momentary loss of consciousness at scene, and afterward complained of headaches, neck pain, light sensitivity and depression. He incurred medical expenses of $17,616.93.
- Kentucky Bar Association/Young Lawyer's Section, Board of Governors, Former Member
- Federal courts of the Eastern and Western Districts of Kentucky and the Eastern District of Michigan
- Kentucky Justice Association, Board of Governors, 2015 to present. The Kentucky Justice Association is dedicated to protecting the health and safety of Kentucky families, to enhancing consumer protection, and to preserving each and every citizen's right to trial by jury.
- American Justice Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Louisville Bar Association, Member
- I obtained my undergraduate degree from Centre College in 1989 with a major in Economics and Management and a minor in English. I was a Dean's List scholar at both institutions.
- I have written numerous articles for The Advocate, a bi-monthly publication of the Kentucky Justice Association, including "Question Authority: Nursing Home Arbitration Agreements in the Wake of Extendicare Homes, Inc. v. Whisman," The Advocate, May/June 2016, Vol. 44, No. 2 and "Navigating the Medicare Minefield: Practical Tips and Strategies for the Practitioner," The Advocate, July/August 2013. I have also lectured at professional seminars on the topics of trial practice, jury selection, nursing home negligence, legal writing, workers' compensation and legal ethics.
- "10 Best" Client Satisfaction Award, American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys, 2016
- Given the prestigious "AV" rating by my peers, the highest possible rating for legal ability and ethics, AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell, 2020
Office location for Mat A. Slechter
2507 Bush Ridge Drive
Louisville, KY 40245
- Super Lawyers: 2019 - 2023