Matthew W. Stein
Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney in Louisville, KY
Matthew W. Stein is a Board Certified nationally recognized trial attorney located in Louisville, Kentucky. He represents clients state-wide in personal injury and wrongful death claims arising from motorcycle, car, truck and bus wrecks, professional negligence, slip and falls, industrial accidents and every other manner in which people suffer injuries and death. He also has extensive litigation and trial experience in breach of contract and business tort claims as well as other claims arising from business relationships. Mr. Stein is a Board Certified Civil Trial Advocate with the National Board of Trial Advocacy, Board Certified Civil Pretrial Advocate with the National Board of Civil Pretrial Practice Advocacy, a member of the Litigation Counsel of America, a member of The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 and was voted a Kentucky Super Lawyer in 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2013.
Mr. Stein received a B.S. in Agriculture from the University of Kentucky in 1985. He then studied law at the University of Louisville Brandeis School of Law where he achieved his Juris Doctor in 1989. With 30 years of court room experience, Mr. Stein uses his knowledge and expertise to achieve exceptional results for his clients.
Honors and Awards:
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 an invitation-only organization composed of the premier trial lawyers from each state in the nation who meet stringent qualifications as civil plaintiff and/or criminal defense trial lawyers. Selection is based on a thorough multi-phase process which includes peer nominations combined with third-party research. Membership is extended solely to the select few of the most qualified attorneys from each state who demonstrate superior qualifications of leadership, reputation, influence, stature and public profile.
The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 is an essential source of information, education and networking for accredited trial lawyers throughout America. Through unique and professional networking opportunities, information and CLE programs, we continually strive to give our members a competitive edge in today's legal profession. It is the mission of The National Trial Lawyers to provide networking opportunities, advocacy training, and the highest quality educational programs for the nation's leading trial lawyers. Each of the distinguished Top 100 members possesses the knowledge, skill, experience and success held by only the finest and best lawyers in America. By combining resources, power, and influence, The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 is devoted to preserving and protecting justice for all.
- Member, Diversity Law Institute and Member, The Trial Law Institute
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America, The Trial Lawyer Honorary Society. Litigation Counsel of America is a trial lawyer honorary society composed of less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers. Fellowship in the LCA is highly selective and by invitation only. Fellows are selected based upon effectiveness and accomplishment in litigation, both at the trial and appellate levels, and superior ethical reputation. The LCA is aggressively diverse in its composition. Established as a trial and appellate lawyer honorary society reflecting the American bar in the twenty-first century, the LCA represents the best in law among its membership.
- Million Dollar Advocate
- Board Certified Civil Pretrial Advocate with the National Board of Civil Pretrial Practice Advocacy. NBCPA is a credential above and beyond a license to practice law. It communicates to the public and other attorneys that certified lawyers possess an enhanced level of skill and expertise in civil pretrial practice advocacy and have demonstrated integrity and dedication to the interests of their clients, 2012.
- Board Certified Civil Trial Advocate, National Board of Trial Advocacy. NBTA certification is a credential above and beyond a license to practice law. It communicates to the public and other attorneys that certified lawyers possess an enhanced level of skill and expertise in trial advocacy and have demonstrated integrity and dedication to the interests of their clients.
Scholarly Lectures and Writings:
- Stein volunteered as a judge for the 2013 Regional Mock Trial Competition between 20 law school teams from throughout the southern and midwestern United States, Scoring Judge and Presiding Judge, American Association of Justice Regional Mock Trial Competition, 2013.
- Stein identified "dirty tricks" frequently encountered during the discovery process and how to handle such situations within the framework of the Civil Rules of Procedure, including CR 11, CR 37 and deposition decorum. The presentation also included a review of the applicable Rules of Professional Responsibility, Presenter, Dirty Litigation Tactics, National Business Institute, 2013.
- Stein presented topical information regarding the commencement of a civil action, non-complaint claims, third party practice and the purpose, procedure and strategy of discovery, Presenter, The Mechanics of Kentucky Civil Procedure, National Business Institute, 2012.
- Stein discussed the incorporation of ethical requirements into a personal injury/wrongful death claim from the initial client interview to the details of the Attorney/Client Agreement through the Client Settlement Statement. The presentation included how to manage the ever-growing responsibility to the Client to preserve the Client's government and/or private benefits and at the same time addressing the rights of various third party payors to reimbursement/subrogation., Presenter, Medicare Set-Asides in Personal Injury Litigation, Maintaining an Ethical Practice, 2011.
- Stein lectured at a Continuing Legal Education seminar on the practical application of the rules of evidence before and during a trial. The presentation also covered the use of pretrial motions and objections as well as tips on jury selection, closing arguments and the management of highly prejudicial evidence. The lecture also covered witness preparation and how to identify and avoid conflicts of interest., Presenter, How to Present Your Case at Trial, National Business Institute, 2007.
- Admitted to Kentucky Bar, 1989
- Trinity High School, Louisville KY (1980)
- University of Kentucky (BS, Agriculture 1985)
- University of Louisville, Brandeis School of Law (JD, 1989)
- 80%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 10%Workers' Compensation: Claimant
- 10%Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
Animal Bites, Assault, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Wrongful Death, Dram Shop Laws, Construction Accident, Brain Injury, Sexual Abuse - Plaintiff, Trucking Accidents, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Medical Malpractice, Delayed or Incorrect Diagnosis
- Super Lawyers: 2007 - 2009, 2013 - 2022
Certificates and Credentials
About Matthew W. Stein
First Admitted: 1989, Kentucky
Professional Webpage: https://steinwhatley.com/our-attorneys/matt-stein/
- Strategic Communications, LLC
- Danny Johnson Heart of Fire Ministries, Inc.
- RFK Communications, LLC
- Expense Reduction Analysts of Kentucky, LLC
- Terry Harper Presents
- Board Certified Civil Trial Advocate, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Board Certified Civil Pretrial Advocate, National Board of Civil Pretrial Practice Advocacy, 2012
- Top 100, The National Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America, The Trial Lawyer Honorary Society
- Million Dollar Advocate
- University of Kentucky, Bachelor of Science in Agriculture, 1985
- Trinity High School, Louisville, Kentucky, 1980
- Kentucky, 1989
- Member, Diversity Law Institute
- Member, The Trial Law Institute
- Ellis v. Browning Pontiac-Chevrolet-GMC Truck-Geo, Inc., 125 S.W.3d 306 (Ky.App. 2003), 2003
- Presenter, How to Present Your Case at Trial, National Business Institute, 2007
- Presenter, Medicare Set-Asides in Personal Injury Litigation, Maintaining an Ethical Practice, 2011
- Presenter, The Mechanics of Kentucky Civil Procedure, National Business Institute, 2012
- Presenter, Dirty Litigation Tactics, National Business Institute, 2013
Last Updated: 5/15/2022