John P. Calmes, Jr.
Top Rated DUI-DWI Attorney in Baton Rouge, LA
A results-driven and passionate criminal defense attorney with over 45 years of legal experience, John P. Calmes, Jr. is the owner of his eponymous law firm in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He has attained phenomenal success fighting for the rights and liberties of those accused of any type of felony or misdemeanor offense.
A significant portion of Mr. Calmes’ client base is made up of people who are accused of driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol, drugs or other substances. With over 3000 DUI cases under his belt, he has a reputation for obtaining the most favorable results for his clients either through charge dismissals, jury acquittals or plea bargains. He also defends those accused of theft, assault, murder, sex offenses, traffic violations, weapons offenses and more.
A veteran of the United States Army, Mr. Calmes served the 5th Mechanized Infantry Division in Vietnam. He attended the Louisiana State University Paul M. Hebert Law Center and obtained his Juris Doctor in 1975. He became licensed to practice law in all the state courts of Louisiana the same year.
As a testament to his high level of professional excellence and outstanding client services, Mr. Calmes has received many awards and recognitions. He holds an AV Preeminent rating* from Martindale-Hubbell, the organization's highest peer rating standard. He was also selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America.
A valuable contributor to his community, Mr. Calmes is an active member of the Baton Rouge Bar Association, the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and the Louisiana State Bar Association. He is the founding member of the National College for DUI Defense and the former president of the Louisiana Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
An enthusiastic speaker, Mr. Calmes frequently addresses and connects with audiences at many legal organizations and shares insightful information related to field sobriety testing and DUI/DWI defense. Furthermore, he has authored many articles for noteworthy publications.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
About John P. Calmes, Jr.
First Admitted: 1975, Louisiana
Professional Webpage: https://www.avvo.com/attorneys/70806-la-john-calmes-4329943....
- The Truth About DWI, Around the Bar, Baton Rouge Bar Association Newsletter, 2000
- DWI Update, Louisiana Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Newsletter "The Advocate", 1989
- Speaker, DWI Defense, East Baton Rouge Parish Public Defender's Association, July 31, 2003
- Use of Scientific Evidence in a DWI Trial, The American Chemical Society, March 24, 2003
- Cross Examination/Field Sobriety Testing, Applied Technology Unit of the Louisiana State Police, December 17, 2002
- Cross Examination/Field Sobriety Testing, Applied Technology Unit of the Louisiana State Police, February 19, 2002
- AV Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Silver Start, 5th Mechanized Infantry Division in Vietnam, 1970
- Recipient, Louisiana Super Lawyers
- Recipient, Best Lawyers in America
- Founding Member, National College for DUI Defense
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Past President, Louisiana Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Past President, Baton Rouge Bar of Criminal Justice
- Baton Rouge Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Louisiana, 1975
- Louisiana State University
Last Updated: 5/15/2022