Joseph F. Gaar, Jr.
Top rated personal injury attorney in Lafayette, LouisianaThe Gaar Law Firm
Joseph F. Gaar, JR., is an attorney at Gaar Law Firm in Lafayette, Louisiana. Mr. Gaar devotes his practice to personal injury and maritime law, representing plaintiffs injured due to car or other types of accidents. He serves clients in Lafayette, Lake Charles and the surrounding areas.
Mr. Gaar has more than 30 years of experience. He has recovered millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts for his clients over the years. In recognition of his outstanding legal service, Martindale-Hubbell awarded him an AV Preeminent* peer review rating and The National Trial Lawyers listed him among the “Top 100 Trial Lawyers.”
In addition, Mr. Gaar is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum and the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, and the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys named him one of the “10 best” in Louisiana in 2014 and 2015. He is active in the Louisiana Association for Justice and serves on the association’s board of directors.
Mr. Gaar belongs to include several professional organizations, including the Lafayette Bar Association, the St. Landry Parish Bar Association, the New Orleans Bar Association, the Louisiana State Bar Association and the State Bar of Texas. He is also a member of the Texas Trial Lawyers Association and the American Association for Justice.
Mr. Gaar received a bachelor’s degree from Louisiana State University and earned his law degree from Loyola University New Orleans College of Law. He holds a law license in Louisiana and Texas, as well as before the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Western and Middle Districts of Texas, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasPersonal injury - general: plaintiff, Personal injury - products: plaintiff
Motor vehicle accidents, Construction accident, Brain injury, Sexual abuse - plaintiff, Trucking accidents, Medical devices, Pharmaceutical
- 90% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
- 10% Personal injury - products: plaintiff
First Admitted: 1985, Louisiana
Professional Webpage: https://www.gaarlaw.com/Attorneys/Joseph-F-Gaar-Jr.shtml
- $4.2M, Willie Caldwell v. Gulf States Utilities, et. al.(1997): $2.8M, Robert Thibodeaux v. J.M. Huber Corp, et. al.(2006); $1.3M, Rebecca Duncan v. Venture Transport, Inc.(2005); $1.2M, Clay Mouton v. Willis Provost Transportation, et. al(2007); $1.0M, Joey Guidroz v. Guy's Towing Service, et. al.(2004);$950K, Donnie Sanders v. Contractors, Inc., et. al.(2008).
- Super Lawyers® - Louisiana, 2009 - 2019
- America's Top 100 High Stakes Litigators, 2018 - 2019
- The American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys – “10 Best” , Louisiana – 2014-2015
- Lawyers of Distinction, 2017 - 2019
- Litigator Awards – “Top 1% of All Lawyers in America” - 2014
- Martindale Hubbell – AV Peer Review Rating, 2011 - Present
- Acadiana Profile - Top Lawyers – Admiralty and Maritime Law, 2013 - 2014
- The National Trial Lawyers - The Top 100 Trial Lawyers, 2009 - 2019
- Multi Million Dollar Advocates Forum, 2008
- Board of Governors - Louisiana Association of Justice, 2019
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers (Louisiana). 2009, 2010, 2011
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum, 2008
- AV Peer Review Rating by Martindale Hubbell
- Gaar v. Sowards, 573 So.2d 499, 501 (La. Ct. App. 1 Cir.)
- Wit Denied, 569 So.2d 990 (La.), 1990
- Life Member, Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, Louisiana Association for Justice
- Louisiana, 1985
- Member, St. Landry Parish Bar Association
- U.S. District Court Western District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- Member, Louisiana State Bar Association
- Member, Louisiana Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, Lafayette Parish Bar Association
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Louisiana
- Member, The National Trial Lawyers Association - Top 100
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- Member, Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Member, Texas Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, American Association for Justice
- Texas, 1996
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Louisiana
- Louisiana State Bar (1985); Texas State Bar (1995)
- Louisiana State University and A&M College, B.S., 1981
Office location for Joseph F. Gaar, Jr.
114 Representative Row
Lafayette, LA 70508
- Super Lawyers: 2009 - 2023