Richard Ramsey Kennedy, III
Top rated Personal Injury attorney in Lafayette, LouisianaLaw Offices of Richard R. Kennedy
In Lafayette, Louisiana, Richard Ramsey Kennedy III is a personal injury attorney with the Law Offices of Richard R. Kennedy. Along with personal injury and motor vehicle accidents, Mr. Kennedy also handles federal trial practice and admiralty and maritime law. With almost 20 years of experience, he has proven himself to be a fierce advocate for those who have been injured by another and those who need their rights defended. He also handles matters of criminal defense for those with DUI/DWI issues.
Dedicated to the legal profession, Mr. Kennedy is actively involved with a long list of professional organizations. These include the American Association for Justice, the Louisiana Trial Lawyers Association, the Louisiana State Bar Association, the American Bar Association, the Lafayette Bar Association, the Bar Association of the Fifth Federal Circuit and the American Inn of Court of Acadiana.
Mr. Kennedy attended Loyola Law School, where he earned his Juris Doctor in 1999. Before law school, he obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree from Southern Methodist University with a major in history and a minor in French. He is admitted to practice in the state of Louisiana and before the United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana, the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana, the United States District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
An active member of his community, Mr. Kennedy worked with Downtown Lafayette Unlimited on the board of directors for three terms. He served as president and vice president of the Lafayette Public Library Foundation. For the last 10 years, he has served with the Coastal Conservation Association’s Acadiana chapter as its secretary and most recently as chapter president (2020-) and has been a State Director since 2017. Additionally, Mr. Kennedy is a founding member of the Louisiana-Acadiana Chapter of Safari Club International, has served as its Chairman of the Board since inception in 2015 and is the Banquet Chairperson. Also, Mr. Kennedy serves as a national Director at Large for SCI, a position he has held since 2018, in addition to serving on several national committees of the organization.
Practice areasPersonal Injury - General: Plaintiff
Brain Injury, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Trucking Accidents, Wrongful Death
- 100% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 2000, Louisiana
Professional Webpage: https://www.richardkennedy.com/about/richard-r-kennedy-iii
- Elected to the Safari Club International Board of Directors. I serve on the following committees: government affairs, communications, convention, and the organization's legal task force.
- President of the Acadiana Chapter of Safari Club International.
- President of the Acadiana Chapter of the Coastal Conservation Association.
- CCA Louisiana Government Affairs Committee, 2015
- Chairman of the Board of the Acadiana Chapter of Safari Club International
- Lafayette Public Library Foundation from 2009 -2015, Vice President, and President.
- Acadiana chapter of the Coastal Conservation Association
- I have served as a judge for local high school Mock Trial competitions here in Lafayette Parish since 2000
- I successfully recovered policy limits from multiple insurance policies for a surviving spouse and child. A careless driver crashed into the rear-end of a stopped motorcycle, resulting in his death.
- Successfully settled a trucking case involving two 18 wheelers who crashed at a loading facility., 2023
- Successfully negotiated a settlement in an unwitnessed trip and fall case., 2023
- Honored to represent and efficiently settle a rear-end collision for two gentlemen here in Lafayette Parish. The referral came from a former client. I was able to resolve this matter for both men against the drunk driver and his insurance company., 2022
- Successfully resolved a TBI case for a young man who was injured while vacationing in Louisiana., 2022
- Successfully settled a six figure policy limit case involving a high speed auto-mobile collision caused by an out of control vehicle entering the roadway from the entrance ramp and slamming into my client's vehicle., 2021
- I recently negotiated a policy limit settlement for a bicyclist who was struck when a company vehicle ran a stop sign and drove directly into the path of the cyclist.
- Successfully settled a slip and fall case where the plaintiff fell down a flight of defective steps, breaking her hip and various other bones. After surgery and months of painful rehabilitation, she was left with a permanent limp as a result of her injuries. The six-figure settlement paid off her medical bills and provided compensation for her pain and suffering.
- Settled a motor vehicle case involving a commercial truck and trailer driver who decided to back up in a travel lane, creating a hazardous condition that my client was not able to avoid. As a result, she suffered from neck and back injuries.
- Policy limit judgment in case concerning a motor vehicle collision, where the plaintiff was eight months pregnant at the time of the collision. Thankfully neither the plaintiff nor her infant suffered any lasting damage.
- A mid six figure settlement for a parking lot collision involving design defects in a public parking lot that created an unsafe passageway for motorists attempting to exit the lot to reach the pay gates. As a result of the hazardous condition, a vehicle slammed into the plaintiff's vehicle, causing the plaintiff to suffer significant back injuries.
- Board of Directors for Downtown Lafayette Unlimited
- Louisiana Bar Association
- Acadiana Inn of Court
- Lafayette Parish Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- United States District Court, Western District of Louisiana, 2001
- Louisiana Trial Lawyers Association
- United States Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit, 2001
- United States District Court, Middle District of Louisiana, 2001
- Louisiana State Bar, 2000
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana, 2001
- Southern Methodist University, B.A., History, Minor in French, 1996
- Loyola Law School New Orleans, Richard clerked for the District Attorney of the 24th Judicial Court and for the law firm of Middleburg, Riddle, and Gianna, 1999
- The Acadiana Chapter committee voted to award Richard with the Volunteer of the Year award, recognizing him for years of continued service and involvement in the local chapter and the production of its annual banquet. , CCA Acadiana Chapter Volunteer of the Year, Coastal Conservation Association - Louisiana - Acadiana Chapter, 2017
- Successful recovery in a confidential settlement of an 18-wheeler crash on Interstate 10 in St. Martin Parish, Louisiana. A young lady was rear-ended while at a dead stop due to traffic conditions. The big rig never slowed and crashed into the rear of her vehicle. Thankfully she survived and was able to return to work., 2018
- Coast Conservation Association - Acadiana Chapter nominated and voted Richard as President of the local chapter., 2020
- I received the President's Award for service and dedication to Safari Club International as a volunteer and leader., 2023
- Board Member of Downtown Lafayette Unlimited from January 2009 to December 2015.
- Secretary of the Acadiana Chapter of the Coastal Conservation Association.
- I received the Volunteer of the Year for the Acadiana Chapter of the Coastal Conservation Association., 2018
- Vice-President of the Lafayette Public Library Foundation from 2010-2011, 2010
- President of the Lafayette Public Library Foundation from 2012-2013, 2012
- Member of the Acadiana Chapter of the Costal Conservation Association Board of Directors., 2012
Office location for Richard Ramsey Kennedy, III
309 Polk St
Lafayette, LA 70501
- Super Lawyers: 2020 - 2024