Darleen M. Jacobs
Top rated personal injury attorney in New Orleans, LouisianaJacobs, Sarrat, Lovelace & Harris
An accomplished personal injury attorney, Darleen M. Jacobs is the managing partner at the law firm of Jacobs, Sarrat, Lovelace & Harris in New Orleans, Louisiana. She handles a wide range of matters that involve medical malpractice, maritime accidents, premises liability accidents, general negligence, Jones Act and class action lawsuits.
Licensed for more than five decades, Ms. Jacobs has procured about 78 judgments exceeding a settlement of over $1 million with one of it being more than three billion dollars. She has also secured favorable verdicts on behalf of her clients injured in railroad accidents, defective breast implants and so on, earning her inclusion in the Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
After completing her B.A. in pre-law from Louisiana State University in 1966, Ms. Jacobs obtained her Doctor of Jurisprudence from the same university in 1970. She also completed her LL.M. in admiralty law at Tulane University in 1981. She is licensed to practice in Louisiana (1970), New York and the District of Columbia.
Ms. Jacobs’ successful track record in and out of the courtroom has helped her receive several awards and honors. For her professional achievements and high ethical standards, she was rated AV Preeminent* through Martindale-Hubbell. Back in 1986, she was recognized as the "Master of the Month" by the American Trial Lawyers Association (now American Association for Justice).
Maintaining connections within the legal community is important to Ms. Jacobs. She holds memberships in the St. Bernard Bar Association, the Louisiana Association for Justice, the New Orleans Bar Association, the Jefferson Bar Association, the Louisiana State Bar Association, the American Bar Association, the National Board of Trial Advocacy, the District of Columbia Bar, the New York State Bar Association and the New York State Trial Lawyers Association.
Ms. Jacobs is also involved with the Louisiana Realtors Association, the National Association of Realtors, the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association, the Women's Council of Realtors and the Louisiana Oil Marketers Association.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasPersonal injury - general: plaintiff, Transportation/maritime
Motor vehicle accidents, Personal injury - plaintiff, Slip and fall, Wrongful death, Toxic mold, Trucking accidents, Railroad accident, Admiralty & maritime law
First Admitted: 1970, Louisiana
- Throughout her 49 year trial career, Ms. Jacobs has obtained 78 judgments and/or settlements in the amount of one million or more for clients, including a $12 million dollar judgment for one claimant in Civil District Court. In September, 1997, Ms. Jacobs was on a trial team representing 8,043 claimants in Leonard Adams, et al v. CSX Railroad. Ms. Jacobs represented the selected plaintiffs and argued quantum and punitive and compensatory damages. The Jury awarded 3.4 billion dollars in punitive damages and 2.1 million in compensatory damages. She successfully served as chairman of the Baxter breast implant trial team and obtained a $43 million dollar settlement for Louisiana women. The total settlement for Louisiana women with breast implants was in excess of Two Hundred Million Dollars.
- University of Louisiana, Class of 1981, LL.M., Admiralty Law
- Louisiana State University, Class of 1966, B.A.
- Ms. Jacobs is active in the St. Bernard Bar Association, Louisiana Trial Lawyers Association, New Orleans Bar Association, Jefferson Bar Association, Louisiana State Bar Association, American Bar Association, National Board of Trial Advocacy, District of Columbia Bar Association, New York Bar Association and the New York Trial Lawyers Association. She is also a member of the New Orleans Board of Realtors, Louisiana Realtors Association, National Realtors Association, Council of Women Realtors, Louisiana Oil Marketers Association and the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association.
- District of Columbia, 2013
- New York, 1987
- Louisiana, 1970
- Ms. Jacobs has lectured for the Louisiana State Bar Association in the field of Labor Relations, Title VII Litigation and class action litigation. She has also lectured for the American Trial Lawyers Association. She is co-author of "Crashworthiness - ATLA Anthology Series." , ,
- Ms. Jacobs is a licensed auctioneer in the state of Louisiana and Mississippi and a licensed real estate broker in the state of Louisiana and Mississippi.
- National Board of Legal Specialty Certification
- Masters in Admiralty Law from Tulane Law School
- Selected for the cover of Super Lawyers magazine in Louisiana, 2014
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- In January, 1986 Ms. Jacobs was recognized by the American Trial Lawyers Association in "Trial", their national publication as "Master of the Month" and was a speaker for that organization at the Melvin Belli seminars on two occasions.
- Toxic Torts
Office location for Darleen M. Jacobs
823 St. Louis Street
New Orleans, LA 70112
- Super Lawyers: 2008 - 2023