Top Rated Appellate Attorney in New Orleans, LA
Sam Winston is a New Orleans appeals attorney practicing across Louisiana who specializes in appeals, federal cases, and white-collar criminal defense.
Mr. Winston handles state and federal criminal appeals involving college student criminal charges, academic violations, corruption, drug charges, environmental crimes, health care crimes, offshore crimes, sex crimes and white collar crimes. He has experience with all phases of the criminal defense process, including fraud, grand jury investigations and subpoenas, internal investigations, and malfeasance.
Mr. Winston started his legal career as an associate attorney in the white-collar section of Jones Walker LLP, one of the top law firms in the Gulf South, working on both civil and criminal cases for five years. In 2017 he opened his own criminal defense practice that specializes in appeals, federal cases, and white-collar criminal defense.
Mr. Winston earned a bachelor’s degree in journalism from Boston University and received a Master of Law degree in law and business from the WHU – Otto Beisheim School of Management in Hamburg, Germany.
Following graduate school, Mr. Winston attained his law degree from Loyola University New Orleans College of Law and received his Louisiana law license in 2012. He practices before all Louisiana state courts, the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit.
Previously, Mr. Winston clerked for the U.S. Attorney’s Office in New Orleans and for judges in the United States Eastern District of Louisiana and the Louisiana Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Active in his community, Mr. Winston is a member of the Louisiana Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and the American Bar Association. He is a graduate of the Jewish Federation of Greater New Orleans Katz-Phillips Leadership Development Program and a former board member of St. Katharine Drexel Preparatory School.
About Sam Winston
First Admitted: 2012, Louisiana
Professional Webpage: https://samwinstonlaw.com/about/
- Cannibal Cop Decision Deepens Circuit Split On Federal Hacking Statute, Trade Secret Insider, January 2016
- DOJ and SEC Release Much-Anticipated Resource Guide to the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (“FCPA”), Jones Walker Corporate Compliance & White Collar Defense E*Bulletin, November 2012
Pro bono/Community Service
- Past Board Member, St. Katharine Drexel Prep High School
- Jewish Federation of Greater New Orleans, Katz-Phillips Leadership Development Program
- Thomas More, Loyola Law School American Inn of Court
- Order of the Barristers
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL)
- American Bar Association
- Louisiana Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (LACDL)
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana, 2012
- Louisiana, 2012
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana, 2012
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana, 2012
- U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, 2012
- William L. Crowe Scholar, Loyola University New Orleans College of Law
- Loyola Law Review, Loyola University New Orleans College of Law
- Moot Court Board, Loyola University New Orleans College of Law
- Isidore Newman High School, 2000
- Boston University, B.S. in Journalism, 2004
- Bucerius Law School, WHU Otto Beisheim School of Management, LL.M. in Law and Business, Hamburg, Germany, 2009
Last Updated: 5/15/2022