Joyce E. Smithey
Top rated Employment & Labor attorney in Annapolis, MarylandSmithey Law Group LLC
Practice Areas: Employment & Labor, Employment Litigation; view more
Licensed in Maryland since: 2004
Education: Boston University School of Law
Smithey Law Group LLC706 Giddings Ave
Annapolis, MD 21401 Visit website
As Managing Partner of Smithey Law Group LLC, Joyce E. Smithey is dedicated to representing clients in Annapolis and across the state of Maryland. She focuses her practice on handling employment law cases for employees and employers, including the following matters: wrongful discharge, sexual harassment, discrimination, defamation, wage and hour disputes, and medical leave. Ms. Smithey also helps employers avoid claims against them by drafting company policies, and training employees and managers on labor issues.
In 1993, Ms. Smithey earned a Bachelor of Arts from Pepperdine University. She went on to receive a Juris Doctor in 1999, from the Boston University School of Law.
A trained mediator, Ms. Smithey knows the importance of reaching an efficient resolution to workplace issues. Over the course of her career, she has seen cases to successful conclusions in a variety of legal settings, including arbitration hearings and jury trials in both the state and federal courts. Ms. Smithey has extensive experience representing clients before the U.S. Department of Labor, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and other organizations.
No matter the circumstances of a case, Ms. Smithey treats her clients with respect and compassion for their situation. For her success in working with both employers and employees, Ms. Smithey was named as one of Maryland’s Top 50 Women Attorneys in Baltimore magazine, and she holds an Avvo “Superb” rating.
A published author, Ms. Smithey is a member of the Labor and Employment Law sections of The District of Columbia Bar, the Maryland State Bar Association, Inc., and the American Bar Association. She also holds memberships with the Maryland Employment Lawyers Association, the National Employment Lawyers Association and the Women’s Bar Association of Maryland. Licensed in the District of Columbia, Maryland and New Hampshire, Ms. Smithey is admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of the United States.
Ms. Smithey has been featured in the following media: NPR, Washington Post; New York Times, Chicago Tribune, Fox News, Houston Chronicle, US News and World Report, New York Daily News, Baltimore Sun, New York Post, Chicago Sun-Times, Denver Post, Tampa Bay Times, Star Tribune and Boston Globe.
Practice areasEmployment & Labor: Employee, Employment Litigation: Plaintiff
Employment Discrimination, Employment Law - Employee, Employment Law - Employer, Labor Law, Sexual Harassment, Wage & Hour Laws, Whistleblower, Wrongful Termination
- 80% Employment & Labor: Employee
- 20% Employment Litigation: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 1999, New Hampshire
Professional Webpage: https://smitheylaw.com/about-joyce-smithey/
- Pepperdine University, Bachelor of Arts
- Author, Fourth Edition of Maryland Rules Commentary
- Contributing Author, Maryland Employment Law Deskbook , MSBA
- Contributor, Newsletter, Metropolitan Washington Employment and Labor Lawyers Association
- Contributor, The Employee Advocate
- Author, Amicus Briefs, National Employment Lawyers Association
- Workplace Street Law Program
- Employment and Labor Law Hotline for the Women's Law Center
- Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
- Member, National Employment Lawyers Association
- District of Columbia
- Maryland Association for Justice
- Maryland State Bar Association: Member, Labor and Employment Law Sections; Member, Section Council and Legislative Liaison
- Member, Women's Bar Association of Maryland
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Maryland Employment Lawyers Association
- New Hampshire
- Honoring a CEO's Top Advisors, Centers of Influence Award Honoree, Smart CEO, 2016
- Maryland Super Lawyer, 2015
- Maryland’s Top 50 Women Attorneys, Baltimore Magazine
- Labor And Employment Law Sections Of The Maryland State Bar Association
- The District Of Columbia Bar Association
Office location for Joyce E. Smithey
706 Giddings Ave
Annapolis, MD 21401
- Super Lawyers: 2011 - 2023