Thomas A. Pavlinic
Top Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in Annapolis, MD
Thomas A. Pavlinic, the founder of Premier Defense Group (an extension of The Law Offices of Thomas A. Pavlinic), has aggressively and astutely represented clients in over 25 states across the nation for over 40 years. His Maryland-based national practice focuses exclusively on sex crimes defense, with a special interest in alleged child sexual abuse cases.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Pavlinic first completed his undergraduate education at the University of Maryland, from which he graduated in 1969. He then went on to matriculate at The George Washington University Law School, graduating with his Juris Doctor in 1973.
Following law school, Mr. Pavlinic first served as a law clerk for one year with the Honorable E. Mackall Childs in the Circuit Court for Anne Arundel County. He then worked for two years as a public defender before opening his private practice in 1975. In the mid 1990s, Mr. Pavlinic began focusing his legal practice entirely in the area of sex crimes defense. He has represented hundreds of clients all over the country since that time and has been admitted to practice law before the courts of over 25 states. He is also fluent in both German and English.
Mr. Pavlinic's many successful results for his clients are well-known. He has won numerous not guilty verdicts, including after appeal and on retrial. In a representative case from the state of Kansas, a man who had already been convicted of a sex crime won his appeal and a new trial, and Mr. Pavlinic agreed to accept his case. On retrial in May 2015, Mr. Pavlinic received a not guilty verdict on all counts for his client. In February of 2015, Mr. Pavlinic won a not guilty verdict on six counts for a client charged with sex crimes in Maryland. In 2016, Attorney Pavlinic secured a not guilty verdict for a West Virginia judge, and in his latest case received a not guilty verdict in for a Georgia client in 2017.
About Thomas A. Pavlinic
First Admitted: 1973, Maryland
Professional Webpage: https://www.premierdefensegroup.com/thomas-a-pavlinic-esq
Pro bono/Community Service
- Admitted Pro hac vice as Amicus Curiae counsel for the False Memory Syndrome Foundation on briefs submitted to, and accepted by, the Supreme Courts of Texas, Rhode Island, Alabama, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Illinois (twice), Georgia, Wisconsin, California, New Hampshire (twice) and Massachusetts, as well as two divisions of the California Court of Appeals and the United States Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
- West Virginia
- Virginia (13 cities/counties)
- District of Columbia
- Pennsylvania (12 counties)
- New Jersey
- Maryland, December 27, 1973
- New Hampshire
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- New York
- George Washington Law School, Washington, DC, 1973
- University of Maryland, College Park, MD, 1969
- Tom discusses with fellow criminal defense attorneys his experience and thoughts in regard to defending individuals charged with sexual crimes. , Guest Speaker, The Fundamentals of Competently Defending Clients In Sex Crimes Cases, Tennessee Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2015
- State: Maryland; Case: K.L v Prince George’s County Department of Social Services State; Court: Maryland Maryland Office of Administrative Hearings; Result: On Appeal Maryland Department of Human Services is Directed to Expunge “indicated report” of Child Sexual Abuse, 2021
- State: Maryland; Court: Circuit Court for Anne Arundel County; Case: State v. L.K.; Result: Confronted With Overlooked Exculpatory Evidence, Prosecutor Dismisses All Charges, 2020
- State: Maryland; Court: Circuit Court for Anne Arundel County; Case: State v. J.B.; Result: Maryland Stepfather Charged with Sexual Abuse of a Minor Found Not Guilty by Jury, 2021
- State: Maryland; Court: Circuit Court for Anne Arundel County; Case: In the Matter of v. E. B.; Result: Maryland Juvenile Client Not Involved (Not Guilty) of Sexual Abuse of a Minor, 2021
- State v. Plaskett, 27 P.3d 890 (Kan. 2001)
- Com. v. Delbridge, 885 A.2d 27 (Pa.2003)
Last Updated: 5/15/2022