Deborah K. Marcuse
Top rated Employment Litigation attorney in Baltimore, MarylandSanford Heisler Sharp, LLP
Practice Areas: Employment Litigation, Class Action & Mass Torts, Employment & Labor; view more
Licensed in Maryland since: 2018
Education: Yale Law School
Sanford Heisler Sharp, LLP111 South Calvert Street
Baltimore, MD 21202 Visit website
Deborah K. Marcuse is the managing partner of the law firm Sanford Heisler Sharp, LLP’s Baltimore, Maryland, offices. She focuses her practice primarily on employment law matters that involve harassment and discrimination, criminal or sexual violence, and matters related to public interest.
Ms. Marcuse is an empathetic attorney and understands how difficult it can be to face discrimination and harassment in the workplace. Genuinely concerned about her clients, she is a tireless and zealous advocate for their rights and freedom. She helps them navigate through the entire legal process with a firm commitment to their needs and interests.
Graduating cum laude with a distinction in history, Ms. Marcuse obtained her bachelor’s degree from Yale College. She also has a Ph.D. in religion from Duke University. She earned her Juris Doctor from Yale Law School. While in law school, she was student director of the Prison Legal Services Clinic and a member of the Complex Federal Litigation Clinic and the Worker and Immigrant Rights Advocacy Clinic of the Jerome N. Frank Legal Services Organization at Yale Law School.
For her exceptional contributions to the Jerome N. Frank Legal Services Organization, where she worked with individuals who were imprisoned and individuals in immigration detention, Ms. Marcuse was the recipient of the Frances Wayland Prize. She is licensed to practice in Maryland, the District of Columbia, New York, and Pennsylvania.
In addition, Ms. Marcuse is licensed to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Southern District of New York, the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania and the U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut.
Actively affiliated with notable legal associations, Ms. Marcuse has memberships in the American Bar Association’s Labor and Employment Law Section and the National Employment Lawyers Association, where she also serves as co-chair of its Class Action Practice Group. She is also a fellow of the American Bar Association.
Ms. Marcuse has received much recognition for her exceptional legal work, including being named to the list of Top 100 Civil Plaintiff Trial Lawyers in Maryland by The National Trial Lawyers. Benchmark Litigation named her to its list of Labor & Employment Star – Northeast in the area of labor and employment for four years in a row. She is also a Leader in Law honoree named by Maryland Daily Record and the Maryland State Bar Association.
Practice areasEmployment Litigation: Plaintiff, Class Action/Mass Torts: Plaintiff, Employment & Labor: Employee
Class Actions, Employment Discrimination, Employment Law - Employee, Retaliation, Sexual Harassment, Wage & Hour Laws, Whistleblower, Wrongful Termination
- 80% Employment Litigation: Plaintiff
- 10% Class Action/Mass Torts: Plaintiff
- 10% Employment & Labor: Employee
First Admitted: 2008, Connecticut
Professional Webpage: https://www.sanfordheisler.com/team/deborah-k-marcuse/
- Employment Attorney Deborah K. Marcuse represents employees in individual and class actions in a wide range of employment disputes, including suits alleging unlawful terminations, unlawful denials of promotions, unequal pay, wage and hour violations, and hostile work environments related to race, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, pregnancy, and disability., Meet Baltimore Managing Partner Deborah K. Marcuse
- Maria Sicola v. Cushman & Wakefield, Inc.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Fellow of the American Bar Association
- National Employment Lawyers’ Association, Co-Chair, Class Action Practice Group
- American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- New York, 2010
- Maryland, 2018
- Pennsylvania, 2016
- District of Columbia, 2010
- Connecticut, 2008
- Ph.D., Duke University, 2005
- B.A., Yale University, cum laude, 1997
- Maryland Daily Record and Maryland State Bar Association Leader in Law Honoree – Leadership in Law, 2022
- Maryland Rising Star Super Lawyer, 2018
- Elite Trial Lawyers’ Elite Women of the Plaintiffs Bar, 2021
- Profiles in Diversity Journal 2021 Women Worth Watching in Leadership Award
- National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Civil Plaintiff Trial Lawyers in Maryland
- National Law Journal Plaintiffs’ Lawyer Trailblazers, 2021
- Benchmark Inaugural Top 20 Labor and Employment Litigators List, 2021
- Benchmark Litigation Labor & Employment Star – Northeast in the practice area of Labor & Employment, 2021
- Labor & Employment Star - Northeast, Benchmark Litigation, 2020
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Employment Lawyer, Lawdragon, 2020
- Lawyer of Distinction, Lawyers of Distinction, 2020
- National Trial Lawyers Civil Plaintiff Top 100, National Trial Lawyers Association, 2020
- Employment MVP, Law360, 2019
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Labor & Employment Star - Northeast in the practice area of Labor & Employment, Benchmark Litigation, 2019
- Lawdragon 500 Plaintiff Employment Lawyer, Lawdragon, 2019
- Labor & Employment Star - Northeast in the practice area of Labor & Employment, Benchmark Litigation, 2018
Office location for Deborah K. Marcuse
111 South Calvert Street
Baltimore, MD 21202
- Rising Stars: 2018