William H. Murphy, Jr.
Top rated civil litigation attorney in Baltimore, MarylandMurphy, Falcon & Murphy
Practice Areas: Civil litigation, Class action & mass torts, Criminal defense
Licensed in Maryland since: 1969
Education: The University of Maryland School of Law
Murphy, Falcon & Murphy1 South Street
Baltimore, MD 21202 Visit website
A leader in civil rights and personal injury representation, Judge William H. “Billy” Murphy Jr. serves people throughout the Baltimore, Maryland, area. He is a senior and founding partner at Murphy Falcon Murphy, where his caseload involves matters such as medical malpractice, birth injuries, defective products and carbon monoxide poisoning.
For decades, Judge Murphy has been adeptly navigating courtroom proceedings on behalf of clients. When it comes to federal cases, he has a success rate that is four times higher than the national average. One such notable case involved a group of homeowners who suffered as a result of coal ash contaminating their drinking wells. Judge Murphy played a significant role in the $54 million settlement that was secured.
For his accomplishments, Judge Murphy holds an Avvo “Superb” rating; he has been listed in the American Association for Justice’s Top 100 Trial Lawyers; and he has earned the highest peer rating possible of AV Preeminent* from Martindale-Hubbell.
Judge Murphy is fueled by a passion to advocate for the under-represented and the innocent. When he was just 14 years old, he organized community members to push for the close of an incinerator that was creating a health threat for the historically African American community of Cherry Hill. Since then, he has been devoted to fighting for justice.
In 1965, Judge Murphy earned a Bachelor of Science from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He went on to receive a Juris Doctor in 1969 from the University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law, where he founded the Black Law Students Association.
Judge Murphy is a member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the American Bar Association, the American Association for Justice and the Maryland Association for Justice, Inc.
* AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasCivil litigation: plaintiff, Class action/mass torts: plaintiff, Criminal defense
- 40% Civil litigation: plaintiff
- 40% Class action/mass torts: plaintiff
- 20% Criminal defense
First Admitted: 1969, Maryland
Professional Webpage: https://www.murphyfalcon.com/our-team/william-h-murphy-jr/
- Lifetime Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2002
- 25 Smartest People in Baltimore, Baltimore Magazine
- Board of Governors, Maryland Trial Lawyers Association
- Charles Hamilton Houston Award for Lifetime Achievement in Litigation, 2004
- Top Ten Criminal Lawyers in Maryland, Baltimore Magazine, 1996
- Lifetime Award, Black CEO Summit Trailblazer Award, 2007
- Thurgood Marshall Lifetime Achievement Award, 2003
- Trailblazer Award, Minority Business Summit, 2009
- Influential Marylander, The Daily Record, 2008
- Top Attorney in Maryland, Baltimore Magazine Super Lawyers, 2009, 2010
- Circle of Excellence, Merchant Circle, 2010
- “Extraordinarily gifted” and “one of the best defense attorneys of his time.”
- Legal Elite Readers’ Poll, Top Baltimore Lawyer, Baltimore Smart CEO, 2010
- 100 Top Trial Lawyers in the U.S., American Trial Lawyers Association, 2011
- AV Preeminent® rated by Martindale-Hubbell® for 20+ years
- Clarence Darrow Award, Mass Torts Made Perfect Conference, 2012
- Charles Hamilton Houston Award for Lifetime Achievement in Litigation.
- Whitney M. Young, Jr. Memorial Award, Urban League of Greater Baltimore, 2010
Office location for William H. Murphy, Jr.
1 South Street
Baltimore, MD 21202
- Super Lawyers: 2007 - 2023