Chad G. Spencer
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Columbia, MD
Selected to Rising Stars: 2014 - 2017
Attorney Chad G. Spencer is the Managing Partner of The Spencer Law Group, a law firm in Columbia, Maryland focused on family law and business litigation and appeals. A top-rated lawyer with more than 15 years of legal experience, Mr. Spencer has achieved notable success serving the rights and interests of a diverse range of clients throughout Howard and Carroll counties and the surrounding areas.
A highly versatile attorney, Mr. Spencer has represented clients who have legal needs involving family law and divorce; business law and transactions; nonprofit entity formation and planning; estate planning and administration; and real estate law. He also has extensive experience handling criminal and traffic violation matters.
A 1999 graduate of the University of Maryland, College Park, Mr. Spencer attended the University of Baltimore School of Law, where he obtained his Juris Doctor in 2003. Before entering private practice, he served with the Howard County State's Attorney's Office, and he served as a clerk for judges on the Howard County Circuit Court and the Maryland Court of Appeals.
Throughout his career, Mr. Spencer has developed strong, professional relationships with several attorneys in Central Maryland, and he has maintained active involvement with many local, state and national legal organizations. He has served as chair or co-chair for various committees of the Maryland State Bar Association, and he currently serves on the board of directors for the Howard County Bar Foundation.
Recognized for his impeccable professionalism and service, Mr. Spencer holds an AV-Preeminent peer review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell, and he has earned Superb ratings on AVVO. In addition, he received the Outstanding Service Commendation from the Howard County Bar Association in 2013 and the association's President's Award in 2008. That same year, he also won the Best Presentation Award from the Maryland State Bar Association's Young Lawyers Section.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 70%Family Law
- 10%Real Estate: Consumer
Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Marital Property, Same Sex Family Law, Business Formation and Planning, Limited Liability Companies, Contracts
- Super Lawyers: 2018 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 2014 - 2017
About Chad G. Spencer
First Admitted: 2004, Maryland
Professional Webpage: https://www.thespencerlawgroup.com/
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Howard County Bar Foundation
- Carroll County Bar Association
- Chad is the President of the Howard County Bar Foundation. The Foundation provides education and financial assistance to entities in the community which assist with problems faced in the legal arena. This can include substance abuse treatment, work training and preparation for individuals who have suffered from abuse, and education of legal rights., 2016
- Graduate of the University of Maryland at College Park., 1999
- Howard County Bar Association President's Award, 2008
- "Superlawyer" in 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021., Superlawyers
- "AV" rated by Martindale and has been named in the Maryland edition of "Superlawyers" as a "Rising Star" from 2014-2017
Pro bono/Community Service
- Chair, Howard County Wills For Heroes Campaign, 2012
- Chair, Howard County Wills For Heroes Campaign, 2015
- Chair, Howard County Wills For Heroes Campaign, 2011
- Chair, Howard County Wills For Heroes Campaign, 2014
- Chair, Howard County Wills For Heroes Campaign, 2010
- Chair, Howard County Wills For Heroes Campaign, 2013
- Chair, Howard County Wills For Heroes Campaign, 2016
- Chair, Howard County Wills For Heroes Campaign, 2009
Last Updated: 10/1/2021