Gerald W. Kelly, Jr.
Top Rated Tax Attorney in Columbia, MD
- Free Consultation
Gerald W. Kelly, Jr., began his professional career in 1991 as a Revenue Officer for the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), in which he was responsible for civil investigations, enforcement actions and Offers in Compromise. Since 1997, he has represented individual and business clients in resolving major disputes with the IRS and U.S. Department of Justice. Today he practices exclusively in the area of tax controversy and litigation, representing clients before the IRS in audits, collections, administrative appeals, and criminal tax investigations. Mr. Kelly has appeared on behalf of his clients in federal and state court in hundreds of civil and criminal tax cases.
In addition to obtaining successful results for his clients, Mr. Kelly is an active member of his legal community. In 2008, he received the Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service (MVLS) Educator of the Year Award. He also served on the MVLS 30th Anniversary Benefit Committee in 2011. An active member of the Maryland State Bar Association (MSBA), he served as the Chair of the Section of Taxation in 2018. Moreover, he was the recipient of the MSBA J. Ronald Shiff Memorial Pro Bono Award in 2010. Mr. Kelly is rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell, which is the highest possible rating that an attorney can receive. In 2016, he received the Lee A. Caplan Award for his longstanding commitment to pro bono service and ensuring equal access to justice. The award was presented by the Pro Bono Resource Center of Maryland. Mr. Kelly is also an active member of the International Bar Association and was recently a speaker on criminal sentencing in the United States at a conference held in Yekaterinburg, Russia.
Tax Law, White Collar Crime
- Super Lawyers: 2012 - 2022
About Gerald W. Kelly, Jr.
First Admitted: 1996, Maryland
Professional Webpage: https://kellydorseylaw.com/attorneys/gerald-w-kelly/
- University of Maryland, B.A.
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Tax Court
- Chair, Maryland State Bar Association Taxation Section, 2018
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Maryland Court of Appeals
- Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service Educator of the Year Award, 2008
- Elected as a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation ("ABF"). Membership is limited to just one percent of lawyers licensed to practice in each jurisdiction. Members are nominated by their peers and selected by the ABF Board. The ABF Fellows is a global honorary society that recognizes attorneys, judges, law faculty and legal scholars whose public and private careers have demonstrated outstanding dedication to the highest principles of the legal profession and to the welfare of their communities. ABF Fellows hail from nearly 40 countries and hold a wide variety of influential roles, Fellow, American Bar Foundation, 2022
- Elected as a Fellow of the invitation-only Litigation Counsel of America, a trial lawyer honor society. Membership is limited to 3,500 attorneys nationwide and selection is based on effectiveness in litigation and ethical reputation, Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America, 2021
- Special Achievement Award, U.S. Department of Justice, 1996
- Maryland State Bar Association J. Ronald Shiff Memorial Pro Bono Award, 2010
- Award for longstanding commitment to Pro Bono Service and ensuring equal access to justice, Lee A. Caplan Award, Pro Bono Resource Center of Maryland, 2016
- AV Preeminent peer review rating, Martindale Hubbell
- In U.S. District Court, obtained a sentence of probation without home confinement in a case involving the filing of a false federal tax return. This was a significant variance from the United States Sentencing Guidelines range of 24 to 30 months in prison, 2020
- State Forgiveness and the U.S. Sentencing System: A Primer on U.S. Sentencing Guidelines including Case Studies., Speaker on criminal sentencing in the United States at a conference held in Yekaterinburg, Russia., State Forgiveness in the American Criminal Justice System, Ural State Law University - Kovalyov Readings, International Criminal Law, Academia, 2020
- Invited to serve as a brief evaluator and Judge at the International Criminal Court in the Hague. Provided guidance to law students from around the world on written and oral advocacy, Volunteer Judge, ICC Moot Court Competition, International Criminal Court, International Criminal Law, Academia, 2020
- Guest lecturer invited to speak at the University of Maryland School of Law on criminal tax investigations and litigation, Presenter, IRS Criminal Tax Investigations and Litigation, University of Maryland School of Law, Tax, Academia, 2019
- Served as an instructor for attorneys and Certified Public Accountants representing clients before the Internal Revenue Service and the Comptroller of Maryland, Presenter, Representing Clients in Tax Controversy Matters, Maryland Society of Accounting and Tax Professionals, Taxation, Pro Bono, 2019
- Presented a detailed roadmap to attorneys and law professors for challenging a personal assessment for unpaid employment (trust fund) taxes in administrative and judicial forums, Presenter, Administrative Claims for Refund and Litigating a Trust Fund Recovery Penalty Assessment, Mannes Greenberg Tax Study Group, Tax Litigation, 2021
- Presenter, National Business Institute, Defending Clients Against IRS Collection Actions; Presenter, National Business Institute, Representing Small Business Owners before the IRS. Lecturer, IRS controversies, University of Baltimore School of Law & Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service. Presenter, IRS criminal tax cases, University of Maryland School of Law.
- Approved by The National Association of State Boards of Accountancy to present continuing professional education to Certified Public accountants, 2022
- https://t.co/0ov6JOZER8 Maryland is resuming collection activity on unpaid taxes beginning August 16, 2021. These… https://t.co/7VIzavDs0C
- On the bench at the Supreme Court of Korea. Thanks to the Chief Justice for hosting delegates from the Internation… https://t.co/JNjHqyiuZA
- I was quoted in this article regarding the possible leak of SARs (Suspicious Activity Reports) and other informatio… https://t.co/EpAyHySxux
- Quoted here regarding legal fees in the Cohen/Clifford case. Michael Avenatti reveals who’s paying for his Stormy… https://t.co/kKtS0yJuYl
- Tax reform complicates divorce https://t.co/6BGUc5A9ag
Last Updated: 5/17/2022