Margaret H. Oliver
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Columbia, MD
After serving as an assistant state’s attorney in Baltimore County, Maryland, Margaret H. Oliver founded Margaret H. Oliver, LLC. She focuses her practice on family issues such as divorce, child custody/visitation, spousal support, child support, prenuptial agreements, same-sex law, adoption, guardianship and separation agreements. Ms. Oliver represents clients throughout the Baltimore metropolitan area, and in Howard, Montgomery and Baltimore counties.
In 1977, Ms. Oliver graduated from The College of Wooster with a Bachelor of Music and attended the Eastman School of Music at the University of Rochester where she received a Master of Music. Ms. Oliver then spent several years as a teacher before deciding to pursue a career in the law. She studied at the University of Baltimore School of Law, serving as a business editor on the school’s law review. In 1997, as a member of the Heuisler Honor Society, she graduated magna cum laude with a Juris Doctor.
Having 17 years in the legal community behind her, Ms. Oliver uses the knowledge she has acquired to help her clients through the stress that comes with a family matter. Her goal is to always protect any children who are involved, and she does this by employing mediation or collaborative techniques. However, as a former prosecutor, Ms. Oliver is also aware that sometimes a family matter cannot be peacefully solved. In such cases, she is ready to pursue her clients’ goals in the courtroom.
When Ms. Oliver meets with clients, she compassionately listens to their concerns and questions. Throughout their legal issue, she is always available to explain a process to them, or discuss how certain actions may affect them in the short- and long term. Ms. Oliver still acts in the role of instructor, speaking on family law topics to groups around the country and teaching courses on divorce.
- 80%Family Law
- 20%Estate Planning & Probate
Adoption, Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Name Change, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Marital Property, Mediation & Collaborative Law, Same Sex Family Law, Estate Planning, Guardianships & Conservatorships, Living Wills, Power of Attorney, Probate & Estate Administration, Trusts, Wills
- Super Lawyers: 2012 - 2022
About Margaret H. Oliver
First Admitted: 1997, Maryland
Professional Webpage: http://www.oliverfamilylaw.com/Attorneys/Margaret-H-Oliver.s...
- Member, Howard County Bar Association
- Member of International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Member, Women's Bar Association
- Member, Baltimore County Bar Association
- Howard County Collaborative Professionals, Inc.
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2006
- Howard County Women's Bar Association
- Maryland, 1997
- Member, US Supreme Court Bar
Pro bono/Community Service
- Volunteer at Pro Bono Center in Howard County Circuit Court
- Bachelor of Music - College of Wooster, Wooster, Ohio, 1977
- Master of Music - Eastman School of Music, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY, 1978
- Collaborative Law Training, 2004
- President's Award for Outstanding Service, President's Award, Women's Bar Association of Maryland, 2015
- Mentorship and encouraging young women attorneys., Connie Sapp Award, Howard County Chapter of the WBA, 2015
Last Updated: 5/15/2022