Sarah Novak Nesbitt
Top rated family law attorney in Columbia, MarylandFamily Legal Advocacy Group, LLC
Sarah Novak Nesbitt is an attorney with Family Legal Advocacy Group, LLC, which has law offices located in Towson, Columbia and Rockville, Maryland. Serving as managing attorney of the firm's family law division, Ms. Nesbitt has an abiding passion for assisting families with their important and pressing family law issues, and she provides exceptional counsel and support to clients throughout the state who are going through a divorce or have some other serious legal matter affecting their families.
Focused on superior client service, Ms. Nesbitt prefers to help her clients resolve their conflicts through collaboration and mediation as opposed to long, drawn-out court battles. She is a board member of the Collaborative Project of Maryland, which provides low-cost collaborative divorce services for indigent families going through divorce, and she has assisted many others in her area with achieving their goals in the most efficient and cost-effective manner possible.
Although she prefers collaboration and mediation, Ms. Nesbitt also has extensive trial experience and will not hesitate to take her clients' matters to court when necessary. At all turns, she remains a steadfast advocate for her clients' rights and best interests both inside and outside the courtroom, and she serves as court-appointed counsel for children caught up in contentious child custody situations. Ms. Nesbitt also handles qualified domestic relations orders, pre and postnuptial agreements, adoptions, and all other areas of family law.
A 2004 magna cum laude graduate of the University of Notre Dame, Ms. Nesbitt obtained her Juris Doctor cum laude from the University of Maryland School of Law in 2009. A Leadership Scholar in law school, she completed an internship with Project HEAL, where she provided assistance to families with their domestic relations issues, particularly those with children with special needs. Honored for her selfless service to others, she received the Maryland Public Interest Law Project Pro Bono Student of the Year Award.
Over the course of her academic and professional careers, she has volunteered with a number of nonprofits in her region, including the House of Ruth, and she has received several awards and honors of her outstanding professionalism and service, including recognition from the Baltimore City Paper as among Baltimore's Finest in 2014.
Ms. Nesbitt is a member (and past board member) of the Divorce Roundtable of Montgomery County and the Howard County Women's Bar Association. She is also a member of the Howard County Collaborative Practice, the International Academy of Collaborative Professionals and the Women's Bar Association of Maryland, and a current board member of the Maryland Academy of Collaborative Professionals among her other professional affiliations. She also serves as adjunct professor for Child Custody and the Law at the University of Maryland School of Law. Ms. Nesbitt is also involved in her community, serving on the PTA at her children's two schools and volunteering with a local non-profit that runs bone marrow registration drives. Her most important roles are as a spouse to her husband since 2009 and as a mom to her 3 kids and 2 Labrador retrievers!
Practice areasFamily law, Schools & education
Adoption, Alimony & spousal support, Child support, Custody & visitation, Divorce, Name change, Paternity, Prenuptial agreements, Marital property, Mediation & collaborative law, Same sex family law, Education
- 70% Family law
- 30% Schools & education
First Admitted: 2009
Professional Webpage: https://flagfamilylaw.com/attorneys/sarah-novak-nesbitt-esq/
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Divorce Roundtable, Member
- Maryland Woman’s Bar Association
- Howard County Women’s Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Howard County Collaborative Practice
- Howard County Bar Association
- United States Supreme Court, 2012
- Collaborative Project of Maryland, Board
- Family Law Assistance Program, Volunteer
- House of Ruth, Volunteer
- Johns Hopkins Children’s Center
- Project HEAL
- South Bend Youth, Volunteer
- Maryland Public Interest Law Project Pro Bono Student of the Year Award
- Super Lawyers Rising Star, Family Law, 2011 - 2013
- University of Notre Dame, Magna Cum Laude, Bachelor of Arts Degree, Psychology & Sociology, 2004
Office location for Sarah Novak Nesbitt
9256 Bendix Rd
Columbia, MD 21045
- Super Lawyers: 2023
- Rising Stars: 2012 - 2013, 2017 - 2022
Find me online
- There are a number of "#divorce #myths" that often get circulated but are not true. #Attorney Sarah Novak Nesbitt… https://t.co/MdxnSQFhZ7
- @andreaMGS98 @GovLarryHogan No, but our school was able to reduce class sizes to allow social distancing and set up… https://t.co/lPXByZ0zP1
- @GovLarryHogan Thank you thank you thank you @GovLarryHogan