Stephen R. Elville
Top Rated Elder Law Attorney in Columbia, MD
- Free Consultation
As Managing Principal and Lead Attorney at Elville and Associates, Stephen R. Elville represents clients in Columbia, Maryland, and the surrounding Baltimore and Washington metropolitan areas. His legal practice is focused on matters of estate planning, special needs planning, elder law, estate administration, elder law, asset protection, and tax planning.
Mr. Elville is admitted to practice in the state of Maryland, and before the United States Tax Court and the Maryland Court of Appeals. He attended the University of Baltimore and graduated summa cum laude with his Bachelor of Arts, then moved on to the University of Baltimore School of Law. There he graduated cum laude with his Juris Doctor and cum laude with his Master of Laws.
A member of the American Bar Association, Mr. Elville is also actively involved with the Maryland State Bar Association. With pride in the attentive service he offers, he works with families and individuals to offer solutions to complex problems that many families deal with every day. With a personalized, unique approach, he has worked with families in crisis many times and is a level headed when emotions are running high, working to offer peace of mind to clients through his calm, warm demeanor, always offering clients a path forward when meeting with them.
His practice areas also extend to the following: IRS tax controversy, Supplemental Security Income, Social Security Disability Income, nursing home selection, guardianships, fiduciary representation, Medicaid planning and qualification, advance medical directives and powers of attorney. Mr. Elville has an Avvo “Superb” rating and is a member of the National Network of Estate Planning Attorneys, the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys and the Academy of Special Needs Planners.
Elville and Associates' mission is to provide practical solutions to its clients’ needs through counseling, education, and superior legal-technical knowledge. The firm's focus on education is reflected in many ways; namely:
-- Through its planning processes with our clients.
-- Through over 100 educational webinars and workshops in the communities it serves each year.
-- By way of its accredited Client Care Program – only one of two firms in Maryland to have a "CCP" accredited by the Client Care Academy in Boston.
The firm also works with the ideals of client education, collaboration, and compassion in mind with every client, every time.
- 40%Elder Law
- 40%Estate Planning & Probate
- 20%Tax: Consumer
Estate Planning, Guardianships & Conservatorships, Living Wills, Power of Attorney, Probate & Estate Administration, Trusts, Wills, Tax Law
- Super Lawyers: 2015, 2017 - 2022
Articles about Stephen R. Elville appearing in Super Lawyers
About Stephen R. Elville
First Admitted: 2001, Maryland
Professional Webpage: https://elvilleassociates.com/our-attorneys/stephen-r-elvill...
- University of Baltimore, B.A. (Bachelor of Arts), summa cum laude
- University of Baltimore, LL.M. (Master of Laws), cum laude
- National Network of Estate Planning Attorneys, Member
- Maryland Court of Appeals
- American Bar Association
- Chair of the Elder Law and Disability Rights Section Council of the Maryland Bar, 2018
- Academy of Special Needs Planners, Member
- National Association of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA), Member
- Member of Brain Injury Association of Maryland, 2020
- Howard County Bar Association Estates & Trusts and Elder Law Sections, Past Chair
- United States Tax Court
- Maryland State Bar Association Elder Law Section Council, Member
Pro bono/Community Service
- (current) Elville Center for the Creative Arts, Inc. (non-profit) -- Founder and President, 2014
- Law Day Maryland, Chair, 2015
- (current) Charitable Gift Planning Advisory Committee for Anne Arundel Medical Center (CGPAC), Member, 2020
- Coalition of Geriatric Services (COGS), Past President
- Law Day Maryland, Chair, 2016
- Law Day Maryland Chair, 2017
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Honored with a Feature Story about the Elville Center for the Creative Arts, Inc., in Super Lawyers Magazine -- the non-profit corporation he formed in 2014 with the mission of improving the quality of life of children of all ages by providing them the opportunity to learn music theory and application, experience cultural events related to the musical and creative arts, and to use music and the promotion of music-related activities to transcend social and economic divisions, 2017
- a summary of the challenges Medicaid and Home and Community-Based Services are facing in Maryland, author, Medicaid Home and Community-Based Services in Maryland – An Unfolding Tragedy? The Doors Are Falling Off, elvilleassociates.com, 2021
- an article encouraging people to plan for their life ahead and plan for their future legacy, author, Catch the Spring Spirit of Planning for Life Ahead, elvilleassociates.com
- an article discussing the remote contingent beneficiary designation, author, The Remote Contingent Beneficiary — Can the World’s Saddest Estate Planning Provision Actually Make You Happy?, elvilleassociates.com, 2021
- a message about charitable endowments on behalf of Mr. Elville's charitable foundation he founded in 2014 - the Elville Center for the Creative Arts, Inc., author, A $1 Million Charitable Endowment? A Message from the Elville Center for the Creative Arts, elvilleassociates.com, 2021
- an article about the challenges we as a society were/are facing with COVID and how we can all get through them by working together, author, The State of "Us" (The Heroes), elvilleassociates.com, 2021
- an article about the potential tax increases set forth by the current Administration, author, Potential 2021-2022 Tax Increases – What You Should Know and What You Can Do About Them, elvilleassociates.com, 2021
- an article about Mr. Elville's documentary film he is producing about supported decision making in Maryland, author, https://elvilleassociates.com/supported-decision-making/, elvilleassociates.com, 2021
- Formerly advised the Genworth Network
- Presented to group of attorneys at Maryland State Bar Association regarding how to build a successful elder law practice from the ground up along with best practices, Presented to group of attorneys at Maryland State Bar Association regarding how to build a successful elder law practice from the ground up along with best practices, Guest Presenter, Maryland State Bar Association, 2020
- Lecturer at Villa Julie College
- Guest Lecturer for the National Business Institute
- Guest Presenter for Bloomberg BNA, 2015
- Mr. Elville presents at approximately 75+ venues and webinars each year, ranging from quarterly Client Care Program continuing legal education events, special needs planning presentations at schools and symposiums, estate planning essentials workshops at various venues, quarterly estate and trust administration and trustee selection workshops, six continuing education Advisors' Forums each year for CFPs, CPAs and other professionals, and many, many more. Some of his presentations are available on the firm's YouTube Page, which can be found at the link above, Elville and Associates' YouTube page, Clients, General Public, Financial Advisors, 2021
- named to the Maryland Super Lawyers list, Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers, 2022
- named to the Maryland Super Lawyers list, 2018
- , named to the Maryland Super Lawyers list, Super Lawyers, 2021
- named to the Maryland Super Lawyers list, Super Lawyers, 2020
- named to the Maryland Super Lawyers list, 2017
- Recipient of the Mark Geraci Tax Scholarship Award, 2001
- named to the Maryland Super Lawyers list, 2019
- named to the Maryland Super Lawyers list, 2015
- Join us on November 16th as we welcome @MarylandABLE for an educational webinar about @MarylandABLE accounts and ho… https://t.co/Ny5kXV3VAs
- Congratulations to @BWFA for being recognized as @HowardMagazine's Best Financial Advisor for a 7th year in a row.… https://t.co/kevpZaovfi
- To all our financial advisors and CPAs - need an update on the latest tax and legislative updates? Check out our N… https://t.co/8gpcHwJkkE
- Join us for our next #elvillewebinarseries presentation on November 3rd -- https://t.co/udAxJLMRGQ
Last Updated: 5/15/2022